Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So far, my favorite Federation ship is the Excelsior. It seems to do just about everything I need it to do, has a sweet firing arc, and is thematically appropriate for most eras.

What's your favorite Federation ship?

What's your favorite generic Federation ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Favorite named is a tough one, but I'm gonna copy your answer of Excelsior, with the Defiant and Enterprise-D as strong runners up. The tech slot is nice to have, it's got a solid ship-of-the-line statline, nice wide firing arc coverage front and rear, and the text is really useful and synergizes with various crew. I love putting Spock on that thing.

For unnamed ship, I'm going to say the humble Miranda. It's the most thematically appropriate to run as a "generic," it's got decent maneuverability, doesn't lose a ton from the named version, and makes a nice inexpensive torpedo platform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really tough call. As much as I love the Excelsior, I'm going to have to go with he Enterprise-D. I just love how it handles when you use Picard + Engage, which also makes it a great choice for delivering Antimatter Mines and still have a free weapons slot for some torpedoes if you have the points for it.

The Excelsior is a very close second choice for me, and is the logical first choice when breaking down both ships into a list of pros and cons. However, I feel like the Enterprise-D just has a stronger table presence and I simply get more enjoyment out of using it.

It's quite a bit harder for me to choose a favorite generic Federation ship, especially since I've never run a generic one before. I'm going to go with the Miranda class on this one. It may be a bit flimsy, but it's an excellent torpedo platform if you can keep it alive and outside of range 1 from enemy ships.

My favorite Federation ship model for this game is the Sutherland. The detail and accuracy is a step above all the others, although they did a really good job on the Equinox too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Defiant edges out the Excelsior for me, although I almost exclusively fly it in the capacity of a flagship. The increased maneuverability, additional weapon slot, rear firing arc, and tech slot are the main selling points. Being able to shrug off crits that aren't caused by a dice modifier is juicy for an Action-heavy ship, as most Feds are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think every Fed ship offers something. But so far, I've had the best experiences with the Excelsior (named) and the Miranda (generic).

Excelsior coupled with the Fed Flag combines two great anti-cloak actions: Battle Stations and Scan. Wide arcs of fire, lots of crew slots, and the needed Tech and Weapon slots. Without the 'Flag, it's still respectable and a points-shaving alternative to the E-D.

The Miranda is a great low-cost workhorse with same wide arcs of fire and added maneuverability. It's not hard to buff her out into a hard and snappy PT-Boat and still have a lot of points left for to match her up with the Excelsior or E-D.

Recently, I played in a Enterprise-Incident thematic game where I spent 68 points on Tinyprise before sending her into the Nuetral Zone on a Cloak-ganking mission! That was one sneaky Tinyprise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
Enterprise d or the defiant, I can't decide, both are great for different reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Excelsior is easily the best Fed ship out there. 270deg of firing arc available to it. Free Scan token during most rounds (Helllo Mr. Spock). It's everything a Federation ship needs and more. So it's can't cloak. The Feds don't cloak anyway. The Defiant being the exception that defies the rule. See what I did there?
The Excelsior's only downside is it's relatively low Primary Attack Value. It needs Q-torps to become really effective. Otherwise it's an all around solid ship. The workhorse of the fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, The USS Excelsior may be the 2nd best ship in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

So far, my favorite Federation ship is the Excelsior. It seems to do just about everything I need it to do, has a sweet firing arc, and is thematically appropriate for most eras.

What's your favorite Federation ship?

What's your favorite generic Federation ship?

My favorite ship is the Defiant for thematic purposes however the named Enterprise D (my 2nd attempt at repainting it turned out really well - as seen on BGG) it is my favorite "game" ship but I've never had the urge to field the generic due to the obvious firing arc limitation, lets face it the ship should have a 180 degree firing arc on the generic.

My favorite generic ship is the the Excelsior class generic, it has just the right mix of stats to still want to field it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say so far my favorite fed ship is the Sutherland and the Defiant flagship is a close second. Though this will probably change when Voyager comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to break this into a couple of categories:

Support DPS: Miranda Class - A 270 degree firing arc capable of quantums for 24 points plus the cost of the Captain? Very respectable.

Dreadnought - All Arounder: Enterprise D. Run a build with Picard, Spock, and Scotty, along with Antimatter Mines, and you have a set up that can take on most comers, and can certainly help draw fire from your other ships.

Dreadnought - Skill Basher: Excelsior. Spock/Picard/Quantums gives you a potent attack every turn, but you lose out on the 360 degree that the Enterprise D gives you. Great if you want to run a missileboat build, but it's lower primary attack limits potential as the mainstay of your force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
I would say so far my favorite fed ship is the Sutherland and the Defiant flagship is a close second. Though this will probably change when Voyager comes out.

Huh, that's an opinion I don't see a lot. What is it that appeals to you about the Sutherland compared to other fed ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
Mr S Baldrick wrote:

Huh, that's an opinion I don't see a lot. What is it that appeals to you about the Sutherland compared to other fed ships?

I like how it has as many hit points & attack as a generic galaxy, but more maneuverable. Pluse it has a tech slot and sometimes it is fun to throw a dorsal weapons array on it. Do I think it is the best fed ship, no, but certainly my favorite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
Dreadnought - All Arounder: Enterprise D. Run a build with Picard, Spock, and Scotty, along with Antimatter Mines, and you have a set up that can take on most comers, and can certainly help draw fire from your other ships.

This ship was very popular in my local meta early on...and it died quickly every time it hit the table. I one turn killed this ship the first time I saw it. Enterprise-D+Picard+Spock just might as well paint a big red target on top of the saucer. Scotty makes it worse by weakening those shields, therefore causing the ship to die easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
Magius wrote:

This ship was very popular in my local meta early on...and it died quickly every time it hit the table. I one turn killed this ship the first time I saw it. Enterprise-D+Picard+Spock just might as well paint a big red target on top of the saucer. Scotty makes it worse by weakening those shields, therefore causing the ship to die easier.

That is true (though running it as a Flagship certainly helps with that), but that is also part of the point. This ship will, likely, take 2-4 attacks before dropping, and is guaranteed to get at least one attack off before doing so - but that's 2-4 attacks that aren't going to your support damage ships, ships that will likely be able to get a good position next turn to take out your opponent's big ship with a few salvos of quantums.

Of course, that's the strategy that I finds works for me: 1-2 big target ships that opponents focus on, and 1-3 lighter ships that can still pack a punch, possibly with a final support ship that has a solid aura-based buff to support the rest of my fleet. For example, Enterprise D and 2x Miranda Class; Negh'Var and 2x K'Vorts; Valdore/Gal'Gathong/Praetus. You go after my big ship? Great! You'll eat two five-die attacks from my support ships before you can get your defenses running again. Go against my support ships? OK, now you're facing my big nasty at full health, and I've, ideally, dropped your big attacker while you were distracted with my support ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
davedujour wrote:
Magius wrote:

That is true (though running it as a Flagship certainly helps with that), but that is also part of the point. This ship will, likely, take 2-4 attacks before dropping, and is guaranteed to get at least one attack off before doing so - but that's 2-4 attacks that aren't going to your support damage ships, ships that will likely be able to get a good position next turn to take out your opponent's big ship with a few salvos of quantums.

Of course, that's the strategy that I finds works for me: 1-2 big target ships that opponents focus on, and 1-3 lighter ships that can still pack a punch, possibly with a final support ship that has a solid aura-based buff to support the rest of my fleet. For example, Enterprise D and 2x Miranda Class; Negh'Var and 2x K'Vorts; Valdore/Gal'Gathong/Praetus. You go after my big ship? Great! You'll eat two five-die attacks from my support ships before you can get your defenses running again. Go against my support ships? OK, now you're facing my big nasty at full health, and I've, ideally, dropped your big attacker while you were distracted with my support ships.

Sounds good in theory, but usually those small ships can't handle a single bigger ship. I've had my Valdore down 3 ships on 1 before & still come out with the only ship left on the board.

Of course, I took down an undamaged Koranak with a Vo too, so it's really about how you fly those ships. Big ship vs small ship doesn't mean much if the small ship is able to ping away on the big ship for even a point or two every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a tough call between the Enterprise-D, the Excelsior and the Defiant (so far), but I have to go with the Defiant. Its been a real all-star with me since I picked it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Ent-D is a little better than the Excelsior, but they are both solid ships. The Excelsior really needs an attack-boost to make it viable though, either in the form of Torps or Scotty or both.

The rest of the Federation ships are unplayable in competitive play, I think. Or at least that's been my experience across the Dominion War. But the Ent-D and Excel are really solid ships when built right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
Magius wrote:

The Defiant and Enterprise D usually went down in the first couple of OPs for me as well. They just couldn't stand up to my Klingon fleet led by Picard. But at this point in the game there are more cards, resources, Admiral Orders, and all around options that they at least have a fighting chance now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
H00D4M4N wrote:
davedujour wrote:
Magius wrote:

The Defiant and Enterprise D usually went down in the first couple of OPs for me as well. They just couldn't stand up to my Klingon fleet led by Picard. But at this point in the game there are more cards, resources, Admiral Orders, and all around options that they at least have a fighting chance now.

Enterprise D.
And any ship can be one turn killed, so I don't know that I'd hold that against it.

Thought I'd add a thought or two on my generic preferences...

I've been using generics mainly in three and four ship builds. I don't have a lot of experience with Klingons, but I do like the generic Vor'Cha. I also used generic Keldons and a Galor in both OP6 events, and like the generic Keldon.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Waters
msg tools
mbmbmb
My favorite ship? The D, used it in every OP event I played in with Khan in control. Only lost it one time, my only loss as well. It can take a pounding and give it out at a steady pace in all directions.

For generic? I am not sure, I only ran with one generic federation ship (generic galaxy, this was before excelsior came out) in the past (other than a massive 400pt game I played in). Probably go with a generic excelsior just with its stats on paper, despite not having used it. Torps at 270, with Picard and quantums. TL, reload, fire every round if need be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Albright
msg tools
The Enterprise

I know it has no rear arc, but as a flagship, it's ability to action from it's bar with an aux token allows it to fly without abandon. And it's cheap enough to either gussy it up nicely, or bring some awesome support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.