Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the wording interesting for this card--it's an Ongoing with no Power description, yet it states that whenever you discard a card, you can grant another hero target a +1 damage bonus. The fact that there is no Power description leads me to believe it's supposed to be a situational, reactionary benefit.

However, is this intended purely as insurance for when you must involuntary discard due to Villain/Environment deck effects, or does it include voluntary discards to activate other Hero/Environment card effects, or could you purposefully discard on your own turn to use this ability? There's also no limit indicated (as in "whenever"), so if the latter case were true, could you discard H cards to give the entire team a boost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parse has several cards which give her an opportunity to discard cards for a benefit: Recompile, Segmentation Fault, Snap Decision. If Critical Multiplier is out when she uses any of these, she gets an extra benefit from each card discarded.

It also happens to be useful if the villain or environment makes her discard. You cannot, however, just discard cards at will - something has to cause it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Multiplier does not inherently grant you the ability to discard cards. It is intended to be used in conjunction with other cards that allow/force you to discard cards. Take a look at cards like Recompile, Segmentation Fault, and Snap Decision. Those all allow Parse to discard cards in order to gain some sort of benefit. If Critical Multiplier is on the table, it allows that benefit to be increased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah...of course. I don't always recognize the more obvious combos with other cards in a Hero deck. shake

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Syntactic Analysis is another card in her own deck that lets you discard cards.

And in terms of teamups, it also works very well with Cash Out and Just Doin' My Job, or the Visionary's Enlighten power.

Also, it's non-unique, and the benefits stack, so it can be very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:

Syntactic Analysis wouldn't work with Critical Multiplier, as Critical Multiplier only works from cards discarded from your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
Amaranth wrote:

Syntactic Analysis wouldn't work with Critical Multiplier, as Critical Multiplier only works from cards discarded from your hand.

Interesting argument, because it allows you reveal two cards, then keep, play or DISCARD them in any order. Does the wording specify it has to be from your hand (I don't have the card available at the moment)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
Putts wrote:
Amaranth wrote:

Interesting argument, because it allows you reveal two cards, then keep, play or DISCARD them in any order. Does the wording specify it has to be from your hand (I don't have the card available at the moment)?

"Whenever you discard a card from hand, select a hero target."

A card discarded via Syntactic Analysis would be discarded from your deck, not from your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Putts wrote:
chindent wrote:
Putts wrote:
Amaranth wrote:

"Whenever you discard a card from hand, select a hero target."

A card discarded via Syntactic Analysis would be discarded from your deck, not from your hand.

Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
delios shadowsoul
msg tools
mbmb
Also for her crit multiplier card, it isn't limited. Does this mean that if i have all 3 on the table, and discard a card, all 3 of them trigger? Thus letting me do silly things like give +3 dmg for EACH card i discard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deliosshadowsoul wrote:
Also for her crit multiplier card, it isn't limited. Does this mean that if i have all 3 on the table, and discard a card, all 3 of them trigger? Thus letting me do silly things like give +3 dmg for EACH card i discard?
Yes. Why is that silly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
deliosshadowsoul wrote:

It is called Critical Multiplier...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
delios shadowsoul
msg tools
mbmb
Silly, as in "haha, i can discard my entire hand to give myself over 100 additional damage next attack? awesome!" type silly =p

A 4 hero game, with multiple card feed abilities, plus an affect that lets you dump your entire hand gets some silliness going
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.