Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Knight
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Time's a comin' when yer gonna need to pick a side.

Dark days on th'orizon and yer gonna need some friends.
Show us your allegiance.
The Law Dogs
The Sloane Gang
The Morgan Cattle Company
The Fourth Ring
      101 answers
Poll created by Whizzwang
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven DJ
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I'm sidin' with the Outlaws, since I expect they'll be a hard hittin', gun-slingin' group o' guys an galls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter D'HOOGH
Belgium
WESPELAAR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes two of us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Knight
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I know the cards haven't been spoiled.

Based entirely on faction description, where do you see your loyalty lying at the start?

Law Dogs: Sherriffs, Deputies, Marshalls and all round good guys
Sloane Gang : Low down dirty. cheatin. thievin dogs
Morgan Cattle Company: Enterprising "business" with an eye for taking over the town by aggressive expansion.
The Fourth Ring: Degenerate mutants, freaky ass clowns, and generally all round unsavoury types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fourth Ring-"Something Wicked this way comes..." "And is here to STAY" devil And based on the spoiled Hex so far, 4R is probably the Hex slingers-just don't see that playing nice w/ the other outfits.

And the 'parade of terrors and abominations'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is none of the above an option? Pencil me in as a Law Dog until the Agency is back in town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect we'll need another quiz down the line after:
1. We hear more about each faction
and
2. More factions enter the game

But for now, out of just what we have and what little we know about them I'm going Fourth Ring because they're probably the closest the core set will have to Whateleys and because clowns are scarier than cowboys any day.

I'd love to get me some Sioux too if they ever show up. Maybe I can mix them and have freaky clowns that transform into freaky clown deer or something. Come to think of it, that may be where the idea for Rudolph originally came from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its a safe bet to say:

JP Coleman's Law Dogs = Wendy Chaing's Law Dogs
The Black Jacks = The Sloane Gang
Morgan Cattle Company = Sweet Rock Mining
The Whatleys / Flock / Lost Angels = The 4th Circle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
I think its a safe bet to say:

JP Coleman's Law Dogs = Wendy Chaing's Law Dogs
The Black Jacks = The Sloane Gang
Morgan Cattle Company = Sweet Rock Mining
The Whatleys / Flock / Lost Angels = The 4th Circle

This is what I'm counting on. Since ol' Jack shipped off to Boot Hill, I'm throwin' in with the Sloanes... at least 'till Jack shows up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parsons
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough sell between the entrepreneurial spirit of the Cattle Co. or the wondering Spook Circus, but as a general fan of both the freaky and the underdog, I'll go with Circus for now.

It would be pretty cool if the game manages to harness faction pride in the same way L5R did, though that seems to be one (and maybe the only) drawback of the LCG model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ehh, faction pride is why I never could get into L5R. I just never 'got' why anyone would want to limit themselves to a single or couple factions. Now there are factions I tend to like more in these games but I always want to be able to build a deck for any faction whenever I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parsons
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
ehh, faction pride is why I never could get into L5R. I just never 'got' why anyone would want to limit themselves to a single or couple factions. Now there are factions I tend to like more in these games but I always want to be able to build a deck for any faction whenever I like.

I think it was pretty intimately linked with the storyline. Almost blended a card game with a slight roleplaying aspect, if that makes sense.

But I definitely get where you're coming from. It doesn't make sense to limit yourself to playing 1/4 of the cards you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's tied with the release model.

I used to play tabletop minis games, where everybody had "their" faction (or sometimes a couple of them). This was necessary because it was too expensive to collect ALL the factions. So you had to limit yourself to just a couple.

In an LCG, you already own all the cards, so limiting yourself doesn't make sense, although you can certainly have favorites. But in a CCG it can cost a lot of money so there's some focus on collecting your chosen factions and trading extra cards to get what you need for your faction's decks. The limit only comes if you don't want to spend enough to get them all. Presumably top-level players who invest heavily in it are less faction loyal because they can afford not to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Darksbane wrote:
Don't forget that Doomtown started life as a CCG, and back in the day you had to crack open blind-purchase packs to get what you wanted. So (unless you were Mr. Deep-Pockets) you built whatever decks you could make a decent go of, and attempted to trade for whatever enhanced your ability to win. Attempting to collect enough "good" cards for 10 different factions was gonna put a hurtin' on yer wallet! So it was best to try to focus on 1 or 2 outfits for optimal results. Damn you LCG whippersnappers and your "Oh, look at me, I can buy every card at once!" Back in my day, that was not an option.

With an LCG/ECG format, this is certainly less of an issue.

EDIT:
Ninja'd by that varmint from the Cthulhu LCG forum.
What he said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgan Cattle Company all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parsons
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's been tied to the model and the wallet in the past, but we also (to my knowledge) haven't seen an LCG/ECG with recurring story-altering events and tournaments yet.

It definitely won't be everyone's cup of morning joe, and I also fully intend to try everyone out at least once, but it could add a little more nudge towards faction pride. Less 'I play X because it's most effective' and more 'I play X because I like them, and want to see them progress through this storyline.'

I think it could add a little fun to an already fun experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I understand that money in the ccg era was a concern for most, but I still didn't understand why anyone woulud be loyal to a faction, especally when you were playing to win. Now I admit I was 'Mr. Deep Pockets' back in my CCG days. It wasn't uncommon for me to just buy a case whenever an expansion came out and then sort out what I needed for my playsets after that with trades and single purchases.

But my experience with L5R was that the faction loyalty runs deeper than just saving money, many people wouldn't consider playing decks from factions that they didn't like because of the lore/story. They would stick with factions even when they were in the crapper from a gameplay perspective. I just never understood the amount of loyalty that that games factions could generate in people. I suppose it might have something to do with the storyline but I never really could get into it so that just didn't appeal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Drifter. Same as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does also have to do with storyline, each faction has their own theme and some of them are bound to resonate with you while others just rub you the wrong way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's me, the fabulous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
Morgan Cattle Company all the way.

Everyone: Click the player and read the rest of the thread with that song playing or I will steal your cattle and brand them with sad frowny faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Until the Sioux Union show I will probably play whatever I am enjoying at te time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amund Christensen
Canada
Brockville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am intrigued by the Fourth Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring back the Whateleys and all is forgiven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Whatever I see people playing the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"the Lincoln County War, the Pleasant Valley War, the Mason County War, the Johnson County Range War - fought between local residents and gunmen hired by influential cattle barons"

Colour me Morgan Cattle Company my friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.