Subject: Tinkering with Chakana rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relatively new Netrunner player here. Very much into this wonderfully simple (rules wise) yet in-depth (play wise) game. So having jumped onto OCTGN to test decks in play, it's only a matter of (short) time until fast advance is encountered. I wanted to bring something up for discussion with fast advance, from a runner's perspective.

Now let me say this up front: this is NOT another thread bemoaning fast advance and the death it may or may not be bringing to the game. I like the term "perfect imbalance" referenced in another thread that praises the flux of the metagame as new cards and strategies change what is commonly played. I have no problem with fast advance, other than my not-winning against it
Today it's fast advance. Tomorrow it'll be unbreakable HB ice-stacked servers or flatline combos. Who knows.

What this thread IS: I wanted to talk Chakana. That's right! That shaper virus, influence cost 2, that requires 3 virus counters on it before it becomes effective. When active, it forces agendas to take 1 extra advancement token to score. However, with its wind-up, it's so-so at best, you may say.
While my shaper deck is my primary runner deck, I've been tooling around with an Anarch deck that runs Chakana. Specifically when comboed with Djinn to pull it from anywhere (it's own cost is relatively low) and cards like Grimoire/Surge that add extra virus tokens quickly, I wondered if this could be a quick shot to stutter fast advance decks. Buy you that one extra click the Corp doesn't have so that you can run on what would be insta-score 2 click agendas. Counter the effects of a SanSan without running on it immediately (of course you'll still want to clear those).

I'm a firm believer that surprise creates victory, and lets face it, when was the last time you saw Chakana in a game?
I'm curious what people think about it's use, particularly in a virus-based Anarch deck. Please, discuss!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Chakana would not do well in a virus-oriented deck, as the corp will be purging viruses periodically. It would be at its best in a big-rig shaper deck or paired with the upcoming centrals-only breakers (!!!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Henderson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess as to why this card isn't played like you are suggesting.
As soon as this is installed, FA decks are the only type that will care. Archetypes that are already leaving their agendas in a remote for a turn will MAYBE clear it when it's a good time for them. FA decks are going to hate not playing agendas from hand to score pile, and will agressively clear those counters and lock R&D up. While that tempo loss is fantastic for the runner, I think that you will find that in a virus-heavy deck, everything is going to be crippled during your "tempo gain". The only way I see this card working is in a virus vacuum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Chakana is best in a deck that runs it as its only virus. If you throw it into a virus-heavy Anarch deck, your opponent is likely to purge from time to time anyway. If you make him purge solely due to Chakana, it's a good profit.

Chakana will not stop FA from doing their FA thing all the time. It will just make them spend turns purging right before scoring (unless you can run R&D 3 times a turn, but then you should use Keyhole, not Chakana). I'm putting a single Chakana into every Shaper deck where I run no other viruses and have memory for an extra program. But in Anarch I either have lots of other viruses so the gain from Chakana is smaller or I have no Djinn and no way to tutor for Chakana in games I need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
i think with anarch viruses that scale with counters, it's not too great.

i think it's best in shaper as the only virus you run, because you aren't losing any strength to a purge, and you're running rnd enough to turn it back on before long.

getting the mill from noise and being able to run two less times when you turn it on the first time is cool, but a runner can purge viruses to prep for their scoring, and you might not be able to make the runs in time to turn it back on before the FA has occured.

but make no mistake, chakana and the source can apply a tremendous amount of pressure if used at the right time, choking scoring windows or putting enough of a stopgap in an astrotrain for you to go looking to steal one of your own.

Also adding multiples of chakana don't do anything except provide an extra mill for noise. extra copies of the source give you an opprotunity to set another one up after the first one.

maybe in noise it's worth it, otherwise i'd probably just run the source out of shaper. i think generally the source is better than chakana, but put them both together and it gets pretty crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Tebben
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Chakana works pretty well in an aggro Kit deck. Too bad Kit can't really spare the influence for Keyhole, because that's a great combo.

I actually do see it played fairly often. Could just be my meta -- lots of Kit players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor might take it if he's Keyholing since he can't take The Source. Though with that said, I've never included it in a Professor deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing quite a successful HB brain damage deck (the Purple Jinteki one from a recent Satellite Uplink post) and one of only 2 losses I've had with it has been down to Chakana

The way I can see it being useful is making the corp pause to purge tokens before advancing agendas. Maybe if the corp wipes tokens, you know they're going to try a FA next turn, so you can hit HQ hard or drain some money from them...

Or if they're doing more like a never-advance deck, maybe the card they've just laid in a remote is an Agenda?

I think this card is maybe a bit underrated. I've got a suspicion we'll see some interesting virus token interactions in the next cycle due to the spoiled 'Cache' card, so it could change up how Chakana works. Definitely worth keeping an eye on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
experimilk wrote:
[...]
Also adding multiples of chakana don't do anything except provide an extra mill for noise.

I think Chakana would stack, wouldn't it? If you had two installed and ran R&D three times then agendas would need to be advanced two more. Of course, one virus wipe wipes them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarquelne
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Good card. I use it fairly often. I suspect it's not seen more often because so many Runners make decks where Datasucker is a key card.

OTOH, if what you want to do is make the Corp lose a turn to purging, playing Datasucker and Chakana is a good way to do it. I think that's a solid idea: The credit cost isn't too high, neither's the memory if the deck is designed to support it.

If R&D is expensive to run I wouldn't bother playing it - unless you've got R&D Interfaces.

Parasite is a good partner, since it's counters come back on their own.

I've had Medium work well, but brought it and Chakana out only after first feinting toward HQ with a Nerve Agent and an Account Siphon. (Which reminds me: Influence is likely going to be tight. There's not only Chakana, but you're likely not going to be able to depend on the Anarch fixed breakers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
cspieker wrote:
experimilk wrote:
[...]
Also adding multiples of chakana don't do anything except provide an extra mill for noise.

I think Chakana would stack, wouldn't it? If you had two installed and ran R&D three times then agendas would need to be advanced two more. Of course, one virus wipe wipes them all.

That's true, but increasing the advancement by 2 is only marginally more effective than increasing it by 1--the point is to prevent scoring out of hand (and hinder never-advance as well).

2 active Chakana is not that useful. Although, now that I think about it, it would be fun to have 3 Chakana and The Source out simultaneously
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin W.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:

2 active Chakana is not that useful. Although, now that I think about it, it would be fun to have 3 Chakana and The Source out simultaneously

"I biotic labour, install on San San, advance 3 times, use 2 astroscript counters, and score....breaking news"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
bwald wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:

"I biotic labour, install on San San, advance 3 times, use 2 astroscript counters, and score....breaking news"

I use logos to get another copy of The Source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
i was confused when i thought you wanted to combo tinkering and chakana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.