Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh B
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://www.gametrademagazine.com/Home/1/1/58/591?articleID=1...

Props to mu0n on TeamCovenant for pointing it out!

EDIT: Key quotes -

"Because his pilot ability always triggers the splash damage from his Assault Missiles, Lieutenant Blount will give Imperial players plenty of reason to think twice about flying their TIE swarms in close formation."

"The TIE defender is also one of the fastest starfighters in the game, and while it has a harder time making a number of sharp turns than other TIEs, it is the only starship in the game at this point with a white Koiogran turn printed on its maneuver dial"

"if an E-wing pilot were to equip his fighter with both the R7 Astromech and Fire-Control System, he could fire at an incoming enemy starship, spend his target lock during the attack, and acquire a new target lock with the Fire-Control System. Later in the phase as the defender, he could then spend that target lock to trigger his R7 Astromech and force his opponent to reroll any threatening attack dice."

"When a TIE phantom cloaks, its owner places a cloak token next to the ship. While cloaked, its agility value is increased by two. A TIE phantom that is cloaked cannot attack, but it may spend its cloak token to decloak during the Activation phase immediately before its owner reveals its maneuver dial... you’ll want to consider recruiting a pilot with a high pilot skill value, like “Whisper,” who can take full advantage of the Advanced Cloaking Device modification. If you can eliminate all enemies with higher pilot skill values, “Whisper” need never be decloaked when your opponent can fire."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Cloaking action explained. Mystery maneuver for the Defender revealed (white k turn) Blount always causes splash damage with assault missiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When a TIE phantom cloaks, its owner places a cloak token next to the ship. While cloaked, its agility value is increased by two. A TIE phantom that is cloaked cannot attack, but it may spend its cloak token to decloak during the Activation phase immediately before its owner reveals its maneuver dial. Its ability to cloak and decloak makes the TIE phantom one of the game’s most lethal fighters

OK, this could be fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostbusterbob wrote:
Blount always causes splash damage with assault missiles.

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
GlobeTrotting wrote:
a white Koiogran turn printed on its maneuver dial[/b]

Wait a second...

Weren't there some "experts" around here that said a white K-Turn was never going to happen?

Hrmmmmmmn.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexis wrote:
GlobeTrotting wrote:

Wait a second...

Weren't there some "experts" around here that said a white K-Turn was never going to happen?

Hrmmmmmmn.....

I know it's marketing, but FFG claimed it would be a maneuver that was never seen on a dial... We've seen the Koiogran turn... Not a white one, but not a maneuver we've never seen. The maneuver stays the same, but it doesn't cause stress. I can imagine that 'experts' would say something like that wouldn't be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexis wrote:
GlobeTrotting wrote:

Wait a second...

Hrmmmmmmn.....

Do not be too hard on them. Clouded the future is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Those were the same people that were saying it would be a "yellow" maneuver or some nonsense. We have never seen a white K-Turn. It's a true statement. It's not a new bearing like the stop on the shuttle, but it's a new maneuver.

It's going to be fun fun fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"1-turn" is the maneuver. Color is a modifier. (Look at the wording on Daredevil, just for instance.)

I don't mind that the teaser text was misleading, I'm just a little disappointed that it turned out to be so boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
"Because his pilot ability always triggers the splash damage from his Assault Missiles, Lieutenant Blount will give Imperial players plenty of reason to think twice about flying their TIE swarms in close formation."

You know what this means right? This Blount guy is an auto-include for any swarm defeat lists. If he's got an EPT, give him Deadeye with his assault missiles to assure they fire off. Or give him Swarm tactics to allow a buddy Z-95 to fire it's assault missiles as well. Then you got one guranteed strike on the TIEs (All down to 2), and a good chance to bring them all down to 1.

Now it depends on Blount's pilot skill (think he's the 8?), and whether he can survive something like an attack from Howlrunner and a friend in typical swarm lists, or any skill 9 / imperial 8s out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! I have to wrap my head around cloaking, conceptually.

Cloak sounds like it is an action, so you can cloak on the first turn and uncloak once you are clear of any danger. With PtL you could cloak and focus, potentially giving you up to 6 green dice with a focus.

It seems like hit & run is becoming the order of the day for imperial small ships, leaving the large bases to stay and bang.

Drop 2 (or 3) lambda in a squad with a Phantom, using it to mop any damaged or flanking ships with those 4 dice guns...

I would guess Blout isn't the 8, I'd guess Corran Horn is? Or was it just speculation he is a Z95 pilot...

I am also dissapointed in the white K-turn, and flying-wise doesn't seem to make sense- how can it be easy to turn all the way around but stressful to turn to the right?

So we know PS1 E-Wing and Defender are 3 points and one hull apart (hull upgrade), with droids and system on the E and cannons on the Defender. I would expect a better dial on the Defender, to make up for the wide range of droid effects the Defender can't access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
"1-turn" is the maneuver. Color is a modifier. (Look at the wording on Daredevil, just for instance.)

I don't mind that the teaser text was misleading, I'm just a little disappointed that it turned out to be so boring.

While I don't disagree with your logic the idea of a non-stress inducing K-turn seems anything but boring to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:

Cloak sounds like it is an action, so you can cloak on the first turn and uncloak once you are clear of any danger. With PtL you could cloak and focus, potentially giving you up to 6 green dice with a focus.

It seems like hit & run is becoming the order of the day for imperial small ships, leaving the large bases to stay and bang.

Drop 2 (or 3) lambda in a squad with a Phantom, using it to mop any damaged or flanking ships with those 4 dice guns...

4 green dice, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:

As the core rulebook lays it out: "Each maneuver consists of three elements: the bearing (arrow), the speed (number), and the difficulty (arrow color)."

No ship except the defender has a white Koiogran turn with speed 4; it is, technically speaking, a unique maneuver. I do agree that it's an odd bit to have played up in their previews--but I would also guess that's the kind of decision made by overly-enthusiastic marketing person. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Menghini wrote:
monkeykins wrote:

4 green dice, right?

4 Agility, but with the potential addition of one die for range and another for obstruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
As the core rulebook lays it out: "Each maneuver consists of three elements: the bearing (arrow), the speed (number), and the difficulty (arrow color)."

Pfeh. Well, sure, if you insist on reading and playing by the rules like a pussy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

While I don't disagree with your logic the idea of a non-stress inducing K-turn seems anything but boring to me.

Its not boring, it's just not nearly as exciting to me as 5 possible actions with the new A Wing pilot, or a free pesudo-marksmanship to remove a stress with the new B Wing pilot.

Although, would a head-on range 3 Ion Cannon shot allow you to follow with a white K for a focus/TL range 1 shot from behind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Main Rulebook, Page 6 wrote:
Each maneuver consists of three elements: the bearing (arrow), the speed (number), and the difficulty (arrow color).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GlobeTrotting wrote:
"When a TIE phantom cloaks, its owner places a cloak token next to the ship. While cloaked, its agility value is increased by two. A TIE phantom that is cloaked cannot attack, but it may spend its cloak token to decloak during the Activation phase immediately before its owner reveals its maneuver dial."

So, you give up a 4-dice attack to get 2 extra agility dice, which, on average, nets you an extra 0.75 evades? Why not just evade for a guaranteed 1 evade? Am I missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
GlobeTrotting wrote:
"When a TIE phantom cloaks, its owner places a cloak token next to the ship. While cloaked, its agility value is increased by two. A TIE phantom that is cloaked cannot attack, but it may spend its cloak token to decloak during the Activation phase immediately before its owner reveals its maneuver dial."

So, you give up a 4-dice attack to get 2 extra agility dice, which, on average, nets you an extra 0.75 evades? Why not just evade for a guaranteed 1 evade? Am I missing something here?

Looks like you only lose cloaking when your 'spend' it. So you could be cloaked and evade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:

Quote:

You know what this means right? This Blount guy is an auto-include for any swarm defeat lists. If he's got an EPT, give him Deadeye with his assault missiles to assure they fire off. Or give him Swarm tactics to allow a buddy Z-95 to fire it's assault missiles as well. Then you got one guranteed strike on the TIEs (All down to 2), and a good chance to bring them all down to 1.

Now it depends on Blount's pilot skill (think he's the 8?), and whether he can survive something like an attack from Howlrunner and a friend in typical swarm lists, or any skill 9 / imperial 8s out there.

It's more than that: Assault Missile does splash damage on a "if this attack hits" trigger. That implies Blount has some sort of "auto-hit" (maybe for secondary weapon only?). Do you know what else triggers on "if hit by an attack"?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Got Stealth Devices? No problem. I've got Blount. You've been 'hit' by my attack. Nice use of 3 points you have there. Good-bye, Stealth Device!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
cordeiro wrote:
GlobeTrotting wrote:

Looks like you only lose cloaking when your 'spend' it. So you could be cloaked and evade.

Assuming cloaking is an action (it's in the action bar, right?), that means you spend a turn cloaking, and then evade the next turn. That means 2 turns with no attack? Seems pretty rare that you'd skip a 4-dice attack for 2 turns. (Also assuming you don't get a free token or action somehow.)

I'm inferring by the wording on "Whisper" that he can cloak after attacking, which is cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Norsehound wrote:

Quote:

It's more than that: Assault Missile does splash damage on a "if this attack hits" trigger. That implies Blount has some sort of "auto-hit" (maybe for secondary weapon only?). Do you know what else triggers on "if hit by an attack"?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Got Stealth Devices? No problem. I've got Blount. You've been 'hit' by my attack. Nice use of 3 points you have there. Good-bye, Stealth Device!"

I thought this only applies if you're the defender, no? So, the silver lining is that it would mean bad news for the defender, but not anyone else in the swarm with that upgrade. Still, it's a pretty sweet ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we sure that cloaking is an action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Yes.

However, the article heavily implies that the Advanced Cloaking Device will allow you to do a free Cloaking action after you attack, which will be very powerful, and make pilot skill very important. Which may be why the basic Phantom starts at pilot skill 3. And we still need to know what the Stygium modification does...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.