Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this is admittedly a small qualm but why was "Red" the chosen color for the South?

I realize Red is more vibrant but it just doesn't fit here for me and is glaringly "off" that I really do think I would just paint my blocks Gray as they should be.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at old maps of the battles, the actual blocks are colored blue and red, not gray. The color choice is historically accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Here's some examples from some guy named Jed Hotchkiss, who may have had some clue what color Confederate uniforms were but chose red anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.simmonsgames.com/products/Gettysburg/diary/Entry2...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1009043/choice-of-red

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asked and answered:

Red blocks?

Choice of Red?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links I know maps of the period, I have the excellent Battle Maps of the Civil War - Maps by David Greenspan - and didn't actually recall the use of red. Just dug it up and voila - there is is.

So I understand now for the 2nd time that the designer chose this style evocative of the old battle maps.

I'm too young to be senile and I actually thought i had asked this question before lol. I skimmed the forum for my name and alas did not see it.

So, hopefully, I will not ask a 3rd time in 2 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
...I would just paint my blocks Gray as they should be.

Many wargame designers and graphic designers have painted their counters "as they should be" and the result was aesthetically and functionally horrible games, with counters matching or being very close to the colors of the map.

I realize that with blocks this would be less of a problem, but still it's so nice to have these live and intense coloring which functions perfectly. I also love that this time Mr.Simmons let himself more free and painted the map a live green tone. If you put the maps of Bonaparte at Marengo, Napoleons Triumph and Gettysburg in that order, a gradient is formed from white to green.

I also appreciate the earth tones of Baptism at Bull Run. But when I finally decide to put this one together, I will paint the blocks also red and blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried various colours of gray and quickly realized the very same thing that mapmakers have known for centuries: It doesn't add to the realism when you can't distinguish the map features.

In the end, we had an awesome gray picked out, and then we saw it on the map. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In general with military battle maps, blue is the color of the good guys and red is the color of the enemy.

For World War 2, the Allies are usually depicted blue and the Axis red.

The North won so....they are Blue.

The game graphics mirror a classic battle map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Momoshiro wrote:
In general with military battle maps, blue is the color of the good guys and red is the color of the enemy.

For World War 2, the Allies are usually depicted blue and the Axis red.

The North won so....they are Blue.

The game graphics mirror a classic battle map.

Sorry, not true. Jed Hotchkiss, arguably the best mapmaker of the war, and a confederate, used red for the Confederacy and blue for the Union.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Jed Hotchkiss you say? Hmm... that sounds familiar for some reason. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dean_1230 wrote:
Sorry, not true. Jed Hotchkiss, arguably the best mapmaker of the war, and a confederate, used red for the Confederacy and blue for the Union.

Jed did use red for the Confederacy, but would you use the color of a blue devil for your army if you were Confederate?

In general, blue is the color of the side that you are on. Just check out the "West Point Atlas of American Wars". One of the best collection of battle maps I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Momoshiro wrote:
dean_1230 wrote:

Jed did use red for the Confederacy, but would you use the color of a blue devil for your army if you were Confederate?

In general, blue is the color of the side that you are on. Just check out the "West Point Atlas of American Wars". One of the best collection of battle maps I know.

I would guess/bet that the British use/used red to represent their units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.