Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
82 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: A.L.E.R.T: This has dragged out long enough and its time to shed some light rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, folks I know there has been a ton of healthy discussion and some great speculation as to what is happening in June. Some of you have expressed your concerns and in some cases disappointment that we are releasing a new Core set in place of a big box hero expansion.

That said, as always, I appreciate the feedback. You folks, and I mean quite honestly, the users on these forums have made Legendary a better game than it was at launch.

/Golfclap

Yes, the current plan is to launch a new core set focused on villains vs. heroes in June and it will come with some very fun tweaks and changes but well retain the core feel that you have all grown to love, or so you say.

I can't go into every new detail, I mean if you haven't figured it out by now, I enjoy smaller meals throughout the day rather than one large one; know what I mean? But I can certainly address one MAJOR issue that I see could potentially turn away the fans that we have worked so hard to acquire over the last year.

That issue is compatibility. Will Villains be compatible with the current core set that you have invested in?

The answer is a resounding... YES! ***Queue Fanfare music here***

Villains, while a new core set that allows you to play the game from a completely different perspective than before, is compatible with the current core set. You can create team ups never before possible such as Magneto leading the X-Men to victory against Stryfe. Spider-Man and Venom teaming up against Carnage to feast on him!

I do want to point out that there will likely be some terminology that may take some getting used to IE: Ally = Hero and ??=villains, etc, but the game play should not suffer in any way.

Bottom line, I told you that we would not let you down and hopefully, this new villains experience will add to your overall enjoyment of the game as opposed to segmenting the awesome audience that you have all become.

Oh by the way, all that terminology that you have seen, "Head Honcho", and all that other crap that is awful, it isn't official and should have never been released to the public.

Ok, we all good here, kool, let's hug it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc gauthier
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brenzor wrote:
Villains, while a new core set that allows you to play the game from a completely different perspective than before, is compatible with the current core set. You can create team ups never before possible such as Magneto leading the X-Men to victory against Stryfe. Spider-Man and Venom teaming up against Carnage to feast on him!

Will there be any opportunities to offer the Villian characters without the Hero Teams + Head Honchos + Hydra Agents/Troopers/Officers + Wounds + Bystanders + gameboard? I think for some of us here, there feels like a lot of duplication between the core sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info.

Eagerly awaiting some sneak peaks at some of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Brenzor!

Looking forward to Thor & Loki team ups...

And really...wouldn't everyone team up to beat down Galactus?...well other than his heralds that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, seeing as how they are compatible it is a no brainer for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auto-Buy, cha-ching!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mooken wrote:
Brenzor wrote:

Will there be any opportunities to offer the Villian characters without the Hero Teams + Head Honchos + Hydra Agents/Troopers/Officers + Wounds + Bystanders + gameboard? I think for some of us here, there feels like a lot of duplication between the core sets.

Not currently. But I do want to emphasize, there will much more than just new art on some of the new cards such as woulds, shield officers(Equivalent), etc. These will have new mechanics that make them different from their core set counterparts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great! Thank you for the quick response, and your continued involvement with your rabid fanbase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that was my concern. If the 'core' stuff is different than the base, yet compatible, then I can justify owning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Becker

Missouri
msg tools
Awesome news!

I am wondering if by new "Core Set" we are getting a new game board, SHIELD Agent cards, Wounds, etc.

Thank you for all of the upfront news, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M.

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response Brenzor, you have eliminated all my doubts and I can't wait to take it for a spin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mooken wrote:
Brenzor wrote:

I honestly like the new package idea for a few reasons, but let me start off with the fact that I see Legendary like a big sandbox, and this set gives me a lot more toys to play with in that sandbox. I can imagine if someone doesn't want to expand out in the same ways I do it might be understandable to do that, but I don't know if doing so is a realistic marketing strategy.

Also, my thoughts are completely speculative.

1) If I want to play with six players I have a few more sensible options now to consider without scavenging out stuff for starting decks, etc.

2) Team play, with players using villain/hero specific cards on each side to work together against others becomes more thematic. (E.g. Good guys AND bad guys trying to take down Apocalypse, but the victor gets access to the tech, so the two are working together but competing for the most points on a side.)

3) team-ups. Comic books, especially Marvel, have very blurry lines between good and evil. Part of this is the tendency toward hopefulness in mainstream comic books that a better world is possible, and involves what I call the SQUID effect (for watchmen fans ), where the greater threat against the entire planet draws together unlikely allies, who would be much more difficult to portray together if they were completely irreconcilable to their "humanity" so to speak.

Dr. Doom and Fantastic Four versus Galactus, X-Men and Brotherhood against a variety of threats, Avengers and Radiation against invaders from the Negative Zone, oh... And Marvel Zombies.. zombie and on and on.

4) many of our favorite characters weren't always good guys or bad guys. Emma Frost is a great example, Gambit, Elektra, Silver Surfer, Angel/Archangel, Hulk, Bishop, Cable, Rogue, Venom, Black Cat of course, plus all the alternate history lines. The possibilities for recreating some of the best comic story lines out there is pretty awesome, not to mention Super Hero Civil War, which, whatever you feel about the story, is definitely fun to imagine playing out.

5) Seriously.... Who hasn't thought about smacking down Cyclops for being a tool once in a while?

6) New wounds? Awesome! The potential for having Different types of things happening when you get wounded ramps up the game.

7) different kinds of cards, like Hydra Officers for example, provide more ways to expand the aforementioned sandbox. Now I can use cards like Maria Hill in the villain deck or elsewhere for a scheme and still have the cards available, and noticeably different, so I can play some new custom ideas out.

I think it's going to be great, and not just because I love the game system, but because it adds so much more potential to what is already one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordVader831 wrote:
Awesome news!

I am wondering if by new "Core Set" we are getting a new game board, SHIELD Agent cards, Wounds, etc.

Thank you for all of the upfront news, of course.

You are getting:
a New Board,
New "Hydra" starting hands
New "Officer Stack"
New wounds with a new mechanic
New bystanders.

Most of these will act a bit differently from what you are used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm now envisioning two Legendary boards, back-to-back, one player (or Team) playing Heroes, one playing Villains, going head to head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Becker

Missouri
msg tools
Brenzor wrote:

You are getting:
a New Board,
New "Officer Stack"
New bystanders.[/COLOR]

Just totally amazing! So, what are the chances we will be having another "Name the Set contest?" I missed out on the last one and I'm chomping at the bit to get involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordVader831 wrote:
Brenzor wrote:

You are getting:
a New Board,
New "Officer Stack"
New bystanders.[/COLOR]

Just totally amazing! So, what are the chances we will be having another "Name the Set contest?" I missed out on the last one and I'm chomping at the bit to get involved.

"Villainous"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
Ok, we all good here, kool, let's hug it out.

Hippy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordVader831 wrote:
Brenzor wrote:

You are getting:
a New Board,
New "Officer Stack"
New bystanders.[/COLOR]

Paint the town villainous.

Where do I pick up my prize?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J Bren is my Head Honcho modest #JustGotWeird
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Li
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor you have sold me, still skeptical but exciting and hopeful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
That issue is compatibility. Will Villains be compatible with the current core set that you have invested in?

The answer is a resounding... YES!

I never doubted that. If the Alien game is "compatible", this certainly would be. That's just common sense.

The important question I feel is whether you can combine the two games somehow and have one player or team of players play as Villains and another player or team of players play as Heroes and have them compete against each other in some perhaps asymmetric gameplay fashion, if that makes sense. That would be somewhat innovative.

Brenzor wrote:
Oh by the way, all that terminology that you have seen, "Head Honcho", and all that other crap that is awful, it isn't official and should have never been released to the public.

Well, that's good to hear about "Head Honcho". We agree on one thing at least: That's awful terminology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cli121 wrote:
Brenzor you have sold me, still skeptical but exciting and hopeful.

I respect that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Finnegan
msg tools
mb
Brenzor any possibility of future themed "split" expansions?

For example, and I realise these guys are out already Im just trying to describe what I'm asking about:

"Fantastic Four vs. Doctor Doom" Small box expansion consisting of a Doctor Doom Mastermind, Mr. Fantastic whatever Head Honcho ends up being called, their respective always leads groups, the four schemes and the Fantastic Four Heroes sets as well as the playable Doctor Doom fourteen card set. Giving you cards geared towards both core versions but playable in both.

Doesnt always have to be small box, doesnt have to have the same break down of cards either.

IDK if Marvel lets you run with actual storylines but "Secret Wars" is almost begging for a split big box themed expansion. Or an X-Men Schism themed small box with Cyclops and Wolvie "Head Honchos" ... i could see hulk hogan saying that... with five X-Men Hero sets, though one or two could be villian like PvP themed, perhaps Magik fits that bill?

Anyways just a thought. Looking forward to June, keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.