Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone,

I purchased my copy last week and as many on this forum have done, I politely asked WOTC customer service for additional pieces. I received the following response today:

"...Axis and Allies WWI 1914 does come with the appropriate pieces for game-play, as the intent for the game is to be quick and have fierce battles. We are no longer supporting requests for additional pieces."

Historical Board Gaming is selling sets of additional game pieces. But the individual German infantry figure is out of stock (for $.95 each). So I ordered additional sets for Germany, AH, Britain and France ($6.95 for Germany and you get only 3 infantry figures!). My total came out to, with shipping, a little over $20. So if you are considering purchasing this game, you should figure in another 20 bucks.

What a hassle...I hope it plays well.yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldritch Condiment
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It "does come with the appropriate pieces for -game-play"? The game is "quick"? How many inaccuracies can they squeeze into one sentence? Is there also plenty of room on the Western Front?

I'm sure sending out extra pieces is costing them a bundle, but they're going to wear out their good will if they maintain this policy. I certainly wouldn't be an early buyer of any later releases if I knew wotc wouldn't be willing to stand by their products and rectify any mistakes they make (much less if they stonewall and pretend there IS no mistake).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as someone who owns eight different versions of A&A I think I can speak for many A&A fans when I say that this is the wrong answer. It's almost as though Hasbro is just throwing in the towel on the franchise. Since the first edition of the the 1940 games one gets the impression that quality control and play testing have gone way downhill on this product line. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hasbro pull the plug on the whole line pretty soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that burns me is that the number of pieces was deemed inadequate a few months ago as evidenced by their former policy to send additional figures, but today the number of pieces is deemed "appropriate"? What changed???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
That reply is the exact one I received the FIRST time I complained to them. Send them another request and cite some of the reasoning below as well as stand firm that the amounts are not correct. Also, if you claim you didn't receive the correct numbers of pieces in the game (underhanded but essentially true) they'll fulfill your request. Don't give up and give it at least one more try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I read the rules and they are quite elegant! The fact that there is only a single combat per turn in each contested territory should capture the flavor of Western Front warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a little off topic, but Hasbro/Wizards of Coast might want to wise up- Historical Board Gaming is developing a whole series of games that are Axis & Allies / Battle Cry 'like'- If Hasbro keeps treating the A&A community with such little regard they might find themselves supplanted by a little 'indie' company....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brown
United States
Orcutt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three old copies of A&A that I use old pieces for WWI. It doesn't really work for U.K. though. There is nothing like that light green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"...Axis and Allies WWI 1914 does come with the appropriate pieces for game-play, as the intent for the game is to be quick and have fierce battles. We are no longer supporting requests for additional pieces."

Nice.

Well, my money and I are likely to go elsewhere in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carthagenj wrote:
Everyone,

I purchased my copy last week and as many on this forum have done, I politely asked WOTC customer service for additional pieces. I received the following response today:

Historical Board Gaming is selling sets of additional game pieces. But the individual German infantry figure is out of stock (for $.95 each). So I ordered additional sets for Germany, AH, Britain and France ($6.95 for Germany and you get only 3 infantry figures!). My total came out to, with shipping, a little over $20. So if you are considering purchasing this game, you should figure in another 20 bucks.

What a hassle...I hope it plays well.yuk

There's no question that the original copy as published does not contain enough German, Russian and Austrian Infantry. Chips are lacking as well. I've found that another 1/3 set of everything works quite well. I was surprised that a quality game of this price was lacking in number of pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Tremble
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pigs !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Casillo
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky me. I sent a request for supplemental pieces for my copy of 1914, follwed all of the prescribed means for reaching out to them, and I received them in short order (about a week and a half). I would try again, and see where it gets you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike r
msg tools
I got repeatedly rejected,but on the bright side I am cured of my M:TG habit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brown
United States
Orcutt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently rejected as well, with the exact same message as above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piscione Robert
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently rejected too, with the same message as all. Scandalous !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with all of you I also found the number of game pieces to be at a minimum amount. I did contact WOTC & was denied as well. I went to Historical Board Gaming & probably bought too many pieces. The actual cost of the game went up far beyond what I thought it was worth. Now I did get extra items that I wanted as well, so to me, it was all worth it. I now have IMHO a grand or deluxe version of A&A 1914. This is my first A&A game, after this experience. Most likely my last as well. Now to find a group to play it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Flaherty
Italy
Nanto
Vicenza
flag msg tools
Loves eurogames, but social deduction games are cool too!
badge
Venice Carnivale 2015 (best costume seen)
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to update, WOTC is still refusing to send additional pieces to make the game playable, but HBG above does have enough extra pieces for under 20 dollars. They were out of WWI chips though, had to get extra WWII ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it playable as is. We have been short a couple German infantry in the first 2 turns, but we just borrowed 2 temporarily from America and everyone knew they were German because the U.S. isn't Over There, yet. Swap 'em out as soon as Germans start falling or consolidating forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Love Here I Stand and Virgin Queen
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Spielemitkinder, it hadn't occurred to me to use the USA infantry pieces for additional German pieces at start-up. I will have another go at this board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A can of spray paint does wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.