Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Dickerson
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it was with great anticipation that I sat down today with The Hunters. Having traded away Tzolk'in for it, I dutifully looked over the rules, checked the errata, sat through the video posted on how to play (thank you John Kranz!) and did my start up roll for my very first game.

I went with a random start and let the fickle finger of fate decide. Ignoring the Flak boat, I rolled up a type IX-C (U-857) and set off. Assigned to patrol the British Isles.

Entering the Bay of Biscay, I encountered an aircraft (rolled a 1). He strikes, damaging the Front torpedo door and the periscope, plus one of my crew receives a light wound. The flak guns open fire and misses. The plane circles around for another strike (12+3 modifer). Direct hit! The U-857 sinks like a stone within sight of land.

Mission Report of the U-857, redacted from seized Kreigsmarine files, HQ, Lorient.

.....U-857 received orders direct from HQ, Admiral Donitz, to proceed to the waters off the British Isles, overruling the recommendation of the base commander. The inexperienced and arrogant KapitanLeutnant ignored imminent warnings of aircraft in the area and set sail in total disregard to the safety and welfare of his ship and crew. Had he survived the encounter his political connections would not have saved him from being charged, and in all likelihood, executed for his gross negligence.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine the tension you will feel when entering Bay of Biscay in your future plays. And 43 gives you a -2 on the dieroll to give you an even higher chance of being spotted by the pesky aircrafts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was the complete opposite, with KptLt Alterfeld KC with Oakleaves and Swords, being sunk with his U-Boat in June 1943, having completed 16 patrols and sinking 38 ships for a total of 287,100 tons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game a plane got my captain on what would have been his last patrol, just 1500 tons short of the Diamonds--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game: 1st Patrol, British Isles, damaged a small freighter. Fail.
2nd Patrol, Mine laying, British Isles-aircraft killed the CO. Game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd R
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like we are all getting an education as to why the Axis lost the Battle of the Atlantic. . .

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Because of randomness? That is what the system told me..whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a Type VIIA get divebombed (straight-up boxcars on the first air attack roll) in transit box #2, Sept 1939.

And as with the other Stephen above, my first boat was wildly successful until it was sunk returning to port in June 1943.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bill,

Ah well....it happens. Actually out of the probably 500 or so games I've seen or heard about....player got killed in first box, Bay of Biscay, maybe 3 times. There are lots of chances in the game to influence your fate, but that wasn't one of them. However, if the game allowed people to just magically avoid aircraft, it certainly wouldn't be right.

Think of it, as you're in an elite club

I wish you better luck with your second boat career!

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Canning
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm still waiting to hear about the first captain to be swept away by a rogue wave in the first transit box of the first patrol. Sooner or later, that's going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. During my second career, I sank 'Empress of Britain' and 'BB Royal Oak' on my first patrol in sep'39. Quite a boosting start for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, around 55% of U-boats were sunk by aircraft during the war. When looking through the lists of men and U-boats at Uboat.net, what you notice after 1943 is that the sinkings often seem to happen right after leaving port. Many of those crews never stood a chance. What amazes me is that those who made it into the North Sea in 1944 and 1945 didn't just head for neutral Ireland and run the boat aground on a nice sandy beach. Instead, they returned to base and kept on risking their lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Frąckowiak
Poland
Kołobrzeg/Szczecin
Zachodniopomorskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost happened to me once. I am afraid of rolling the dice later in the game during transit...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike souber
United Kingdom
cobham
surrey
flag msg tools
1st patrol sept '39 - air attack Biscay. severe damage - sunk but rescued from sea by navy.
2nd patrol - sunk Royal Oak with 4 long range torp hits and no duds.
That fate sure is fickle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Dickerson
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:
Hey Bill,

Ah well....it happens. Actually out of the probably 500 or so games I've seen or heard about....player got killed in first box, Bay of Biscay, maybe 3 times. There are lots of chances in the game to influence your fate, but that wasn't one of them. However, if the game allowed people to just magically avoid aircraft, it certainly wouldn't be right.

Think of it, as you're in an elite club

I wish you better luck with your second boat career!

Greg

Hey Greg,

The report was mainly to help me laugh at the situation, as you said, it is what it is.

My next try is not too bad, so far. On my second patrol in the West African coast with a 2 tanker convoy lined up. She Who Must Be Obeyed just walked by, saw what I had out and said "Oh, I see the incompetent captain is at it again" She sure knows how to boost my spirits...

Smooth waters,
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russ
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For an in-depth view of what it was like, especially as the war evolved, there is the classic "Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
ezzler wrote:
1st patrol sept '39 - air attack Biscay. severe damage - sunk but rescued from sea by navy.

In September 1939 you don't roll on the Bay of Biscay table, that starts in July 1940 after the Germans had taken France. Before that your U-boat is sailing from Kiel.

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emeraldhunter wrote:
Entering the Bay of Biscay, I encountered an aircraft (rolled a 1). [...] The plane circles around for another strike (12+3 modifer).

Wait a minute! - The plane circled? And you are telling us something like a short game!? Short game?!? Look at that! Bloody favouritism!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Kearneysville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last career ended in the final transit box in June 1943 in the Artic. After barely surviving using G7a's in daylight (June in the artic - got to love it) in 1943. After purposefully transferring to the Artic in 1941 in my Type VIIC to avoid the Bay of Biscay...

Roll a modified 4 for the attempted crash dive (elite crew & 1943 modifier), followed by a 10 (+1943 bonus, +2 for air attack) -> sunk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.