Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to start by saying I really do enjoy Loyang, but found it to be quite solitaire aside from the convoluted card drafting phase. So in an attempt to "fix" those 2 things, here is my Common Board variant...

Setup:
The above board is used as a common board for all players. Players no longer have their own personal board.
You will need differently colored pawns or cubes for each player on the common score track.
Fill up the resources per the player count. eg: In a 2-player game, only 3 rows are used.

Gameplay:
Drafting Phase - Each player draws 5 cards, then draw 3 cards and place them under the board in the card spaces. Then each player discards down to 2 cards.
Action Phase - On your turn, as an action (instead of 2-pack), a player may purchase one of the cards from the main board paying the associated cost (2,2 or 3 coins). If a card is purchased, slide the other cards to the left if possible then drawn and place a new card. There should always be 3 cards available at the start of a players turn.
Buying and selling is done from the common board, with selling prices a little higher than normal to promote selling back.

That's it!
Only a few small changes (and a new board) to promote more interaction, with a simpler draw phase and a simpler/more-thematic 2-pack replacement.

ps. I have used a simplified draw phase simply to speed up the game, as the original draw rules don't add much to the game other than lots of time and unnecessary complexity. Feel free to use whatever draw system you like though.

Let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the common board idea, but I'm not sure about the card draft change. I think I might want to go with the standard card draft, but the first card discarded by each player gets "locked" under the board and is available for purchase but not drafting. Also leaving 2-packs available for purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the helper cards won't work with that variant...

Besides that: Sounds nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering, has any given this a try? If so, how did it go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm going to bump this thread to see if anyone has managed to use this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.