Jeremy Springfield
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know where there are two physical copies of Caverna new, sealed, at retail price (in the U.S.). I held them today. Picked them up, felt the weight of them. Felt the emotional weight of the price tag tugging at my wallet. And put them back down and walked away.

But then I checked the price on auction sites. $124 in the U.S.?! And A rumor that the next printing contains cardboard meeples (a tragic thought). Here is where the dumb idea comes in. I could purchase them, and auction them. One could be sold right away, seeking immediate profit. One held to till the next printing. What could an unopened copy with wood Meeples be worth then?

This is classic arbitrage. Buy low where the price is low, sell where the price is high. Or classic speculation. Purchase when the price is low, hold till a time when the item increases in value. There is another risk factor. I am slightly obsessed with Caverna at the moment. Paul thinks it's a great game. Quinns thinks it's... well, ok. I can just imagine someone like Paul on the other end of the country waiting on their steps bouncing in nervous anticipation. Maybe I'm just pumped on iOs Agricola, and the idea of playing Caverna, which I think looks fantastic.

Except I don't know for certain that it will increase in value. There is risk. Maybe it's not worth what I think it is (more than $90). The potential exists to lose $90. It would not be a $180 dollar loss, because worst case scenario I open one copy and get to play Caverna. Which is not a bad thing.

Speculating in board game prices is a dumb idea. This is a dumb idea. Is it a moral dilemma? I don't know, but I do know this idea is stuck in my head. Please talk me out of it. I should just settle down and keep playing iOs Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*backhand* Did that work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Springfield
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspring wrote:
And A rumor that the next printing contains cardboard meeples (a tragic thought).

That’s the first I’ve heard of it. Where did you receive this info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Springfield
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This post http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1097460/caverna-reprint. Second comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspring wrote:

How does that imply cardboard at all??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the linked thread title: "no wood not even for sheep"

OP: Click the link, it doesn't mean what you think it means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In decisions like this I feel you need either a solid business reason or a solid moral one.

I'm afraid you have neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspring wrote:
And A rumor that the next printing contains cardboard meeples (a tragic thought).

This rumor is utterly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really want to be one of "Those" people, who hoard up stock, just to take advantage of fellow gamers who might want the game?

Because, that's the person you'd be over-charging. A person just like yourself.

I always find this distasteful, although I know it's "the american way".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Stocker
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately for you, the reprint will (hopefully) be out within a month and with that kind of supply, the price will drop and so will your profit. It's your risk, you would be allowing some poor fellow to pay more to receive an awesome game earlier, but you also may be selling the game at a loss in a month.

Jeffrey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elkabong wrote:
Do you really want to be one of "Those" people, who hoard up stock, just to take advantage of fellow gamers who might want the game?

Because, that's the person you'd be over-charging. A person just like yourself.

I always find this distasteful, although I know it's "the american way".

Selling something for the going rate is not "over-charging", it's supply and demand. Over-charging is if you say something is x and charge y. Just because a fellow gamer may not be able to afford the going rate, doesn't make it immoral to sell to someone else who can. I'd like every game in Rio Grande's catalogue, but I don't think they're one of "Those" companies because I can't afford to buy them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the time and effort really worth the ~$50-$75 you might make? If yes, go for it. You are advancing $180+ tax, presumably your time is worth something. There is no moral issue here, it is an item for sale. You can buy and resell to your hearts content. Sounds kinda dumb from a business standpoint but if it makes sense under your circumstance. Go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.