Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Thematic Questions: Bioroids and Virus counter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Scheele
Germany
Lüneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, something else from all the crunch, let's talk fluff.

In another thread I already asked one of these questions but I'd like some more opinions on this and another question popped up that makes no sense to me.

Well first off: How do I picture Bioroid ICE? I know Bioroids are the Androids of the Android universe, somewhat machine with biological parts in there too. They exist, can knock on your door, can take out your trash and could maybe give your an extra click by working for your dirty deeds.
But what about Bioroid ICE? Are there two different types of bioroids? The first ones are the plastic ones you can see roaming the streets and the second ones are purely virtual?

Or is Bioroid ICE just the mind of a real existing Bioroid and you are simply walking/breaking through it?
And also on that note, why can you "click" your way around Bioroid ICE?


A different question just came up when I found out that if you choose the "C, C, C: Purge all virus counters" option as the corp you purge ALL virus counters in the game. Previously I only purged virus counters on virus cards hosted somewhere in my system. I actually thought Darwin was a slowly moving but ultimately super powerful icebreaker. But as I said I found out otherwise.

That being said... WHY can the corp get rid of virus markers on cards that are hosted IN THE RUNNERS SYSTEM?

Hmm... I just got an idea. Maybe the virus programs are using exploits and backdoors in the corps system to get their power. If the corp chooses to purge, it dedicates all their workforce on patching the holes so the virus programs have to find new loopholes.

Wha do you guys think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bioroids: they were developed from human imaged minds. So they can be both virtual and physical (when instantiated in a cybernetic body).

Virus counters: I imagine this as the runner putting viruses in the Corp's system. Since most are added after a run. So when the Corp clears them, they do an intensive antivirus purge.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
DaveS wrote:
Or is Bioroid ICE just the mind of a real existing Bioroid and you are simply walking/breaking through it?

This is how I've always assumed it works.

DaveS wrote:
And also on that note, why can you "click" your way around Bioroid ICE?

Since bioroids are semi-human, the runner can interact with them and talk to them and try to persuade or outwit them directly. I think the story thing that came with Cyber Exodus had an example of Chaos Theory talking her way past Viktor 1.0?

DaveS wrote:
That being said... WHY can the corp get rid of virus markers on cards that are hosted IN THE RUNNERS SYSTEM?

Virus counters on a runner card usually represent how well that virus has infected the corp's system (and their original Netrunner equivalents generally had you actually giving the corp virus counters). It's just easier to keep track of which virus counters go with which virus if they're physically placed on the virus, and outside of exceptions like Parasite that need to be hosted there's no compelling reason to keep viruses separate from the rest of the runner's rig. A purge represents clearing out the infections and (in cases like Darwin) patching out certain vulnerabilities that have been exploited.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your question about the Bioroids is actually addressed in the Haas-Bioroid lore section of the rulebook. To expand on what other's have said I'll copy it here.

Core Rulebook wrote:
In addition to the creation of artificially- intelligent bioroids, Haas-Bioroid has been experimenting with specialized bioroids dedicated to network security and other tasks that are traditionally the role of software agents (so-called “weak” AI). Bioroids tasked for purely network usage have a proven ability to interact with the brains of users employing a neural interface, with occasionally lethal results. There are also some indications that these bioroids are less “well-adjusted” than others who possess a body and may interact with human beings in a more traditional manner. Haas-Bioroid denies any allegations that their software-purposed bioroids are unstable or have ever been implicated in the brain damage of human users.


It's possible that the card Awakening Center is an image of what a network bioroid looks like in the physical world: a cyberbrain hooked into the net.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
Avatar
mb
Virus Counters: are only hosted on the runner's side in order to make play easier. The viruses in the original netrunner called to give the corp specific virus tokens - i.e. "If you make a successful run on HQ, give the corporation one Pheromones virus token. Each Pheromones token that the corporation has....." In order to make it clear which virus tokens were which, players always just kept the virus tokens on the card anyways, but the tokens always "belonged" to the corp.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i think some bioroids exist purely as programs as well, a mind with out a body,

they could be installed in a body if need but some times it will be more efficient to just leave them as programs,


I see Ichi as a virtual person only, no physical body, e.g the white suit guys from matrix 2.
and Eli a boy spirit trapped in a machine!

i get this theory from the 1st Golem book i forgot which chapter, but im sure they mention something like this..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ van der Molen
Malaysia
georgetown
penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
If you read the Golum books
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Kozłowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveS wrote:
I know Bioroids are the Androids of the Android universe, somewhat machine with biological parts in there too.


That caught my attention - I've read only 'Freefall', but I was always under the impression that Bioroids are synthetic only. Do you have a source for this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
decPL wrote:
DaveS wrote:
I know Bioroids are the Androids of the Android universe, somewhat machine with biological parts in there too.


That caught my attention - I've read only 'Freefall', but I was always under the impression that Bioroids are synthetic only. Do you have a source for this?

Seconded. Bioroids are synthetic only. The "bio" part in "bioroid" refers to the brain-mapping technology that gives them mind, feelings, and personality.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scheele
Germany
Lüneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alsciende wrote:
decPL wrote:
DaveS wrote:
I know Bioroids are the Androids of the Android universe, somewhat machine with biological parts in there too.


That caught my attention - I've read only 'Freefall', but I was always under the impression that Bioroids are synthetic only. Do you have a source for this?

Seconded. Bioroids are synthetic only. The "bio" part in "bioroid" refers to the brain-mapping technology that gives them mind, feelings, and personality.


Appologies to both of you! I assumed stuff, should stop with that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Kozłowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveS wrote:
Appologies to both of you! I assumed stuff, should stop with that :)


Whoa, apologies for my post if you felt you needed to apologize; I was just honestly curious if I missed something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scheele
Germany
Lüneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
decPL wrote:
DaveS wrote:
Appologies to both of you! I assumed stuff, should stop with that


Whoa, apologies for my post if you felt you needed to apologize; I was just honestly curious if I missed something.


Yes but I could've done more reasearch before stating that bioroids are biological. Oh well
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.