Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Turn Order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play so all players can go in any turn order (Which we decide during the Alpha Agent stage).

I made the below tokens so players can show which player has gone (flip it over to the alien side, to show you went and remind you to do Close Encounters), and also put the numbe chit on top of the alien side after you've done your Close Encounter action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
It would make it slightly easier because you have more options. There's definitely been times I've wanted to change the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as Dolem said, and more: You can pick who goes first, but everyone else is forced to go in clockwise order; in a strategy game?

Can't count the number of times we wanted to go in a certain order, in order to heal someone first; or make sure an alien was not activated and attacks a player near death; or to shoot an alien before it can move/act.

You can also actually plan better with things like "I'll break open the door on my turn; you go in and kill/stun any enemies on your turn; you go in and find the scientist on your", ect and so on.

Not to mention, many more strategic options.

Another thing was, we'd find ourselves so involved in doing Close Encounter actions, especially when lots of aliens went, that after we were finally done, we'd all go "Wait, who's turn was it?". Has not happened once since we started using these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 and 2 player games get to pick the exact order they play, so to speak.

This variant allows your characters to do some common sense things; and strategic things, they can't do when forced into the craziness that is Clockwise only turns.

"I'm sorry Hulk, you can't break open the door for me, which is right next to you, which would allow us to carry out an amazing strategic plan, because you happen to sit to my left".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although my first thoughts when I read about the clockwise order rule in a tactical game were that it is a bad thing for this kind of game, I resisted the urge to use variable player order because it can "game" the system too much in favor of the agents.

Moreover, the game was tested without variable player order so I don't think that the best thing to do in a co-op game is to reduce the difficulty. Co-op games should be difficult to win or players lose interest after a few sessions.

I believe that it will be better for your group to train, learn and gain experience with the original rules instead of just house ruling it away. Of course, it's your game, your rules but still....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
I would use this variant just in combination with human view, close combat and friendly fire. If you do that, it makes sense in my opinion. We play it without that stuff because much beer and other things are going around so that the difficulty is perfect. I say always, i depends with who you are playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the variable turn order idea, even though it will likely lengthen the Strategy phase a bit.

If the game is not hard enough for you using the variable turn order - add more elite aliens!

This game does have some odd rules, that I am sure were made for balance/simplicity reasons. Not being allowed to target an empty square and the area effect weapons being the top of my list of odd rules. I should be able to toss a grenade at an empty square and I should not be able to hit aliens out of LOS with a shotgun. Rules should be intuitive.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:
I should be able to toss a grenade at an empty square .

This is actually legal. The empty square rule is only for weapons, not for devices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really works out great. Adds a new layer of flexibility and a bit more strategy. I also feel it adds a lot more cooperation and team work, as usually everyone is eager to give input as to what order they could take their turn to be the most help. Otherwise, it was usually something like "I have to go third, so guess I'll just see what happens, and do whatever I can when my turn comes".

But also keep in mind, depending on the # of players, it could add time to your game. We play with 3 people, and I'm guessing it adds about 3-5 minutes to each turn. But, it is WELL worth the couple extra minutes when you are trying to keep that leveled up Agent alive, and carry out a specific plan that will bring mission success.

I also made tokens for the Kickstarter agents (look in the Files section).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.