Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all government programs should be adjusted for inflation and cost of living. This's data is already collected, so it wouldn't cost anything extra.

Full disclosure: I'm a government contractor. When I travel, my per diem and housing allowance are all determined by the cost of living in the destination. These costs are reevaluated each year.

Would. This end up costing more? Probably, but I don't know. I do think its ridic to setup A program with constant benefits though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gray
United States
Bayfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I think all government programs should be adjusted for inflation and cost of living. This's data is already collected, so it wouldn't cost anything extra.

Full disclosure: I'm a government contractor. When I travel, my per diem and housing allowance are all determined by the cost of living in the destination. These costs are reevaluated each year.

Would. This end up costing more? Probably, but I don't know. I do think its ridic to setup A program with constant benefits though.

COLA and inflation don't normally go down. So, if you are on govt assistance, you essentially get a raise every year? This is not how it works for everyone that is working for a living. It also seems like a good way to ensure increased spending on these programs, year over year (which I think we are already overspending on). It would also cause benefits recipients to flock to more expensive areas for the increase. This is basically encouraging increased spending amongst a group that should probably be on a tighter budget. So, far I'm not seeing a compelling argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten a raise every year since I got out of college.

People might want to flock to higher cost of living areas, but that wouldn't get them more money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gray
United States
Bayfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I've gotten a raise every year since I got out of college.

Congratulations. You also said you are a govt contractor. When the economy gets shitty, people don't get raises.

jmilum wrote:
People might want to flock to higher cost of living areas, but that wouldn't get them more money?

Isn't that what you're proposing? More money for higher COLA areas? Your question is unclear. And you didn't address the year over year increase that would go along with such a proposition. Are you okay implementing a perpetually increasing expenditure? You know once you start it will never be undone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Social security has COLA increases.

I don't know about other peoples raises, only my own. I've gotten one every year. Sometimes not very much, other times quite a lot.

If the cost of living in an area is more, then the increase for that area only evens out the cost. Yes, you get more money, but it costs more to live so the net result for a person is zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I know, government entitlement programs already have inflation adjusted increases. Social Security certainly does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gray
United States
Bayfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

I don't know about other peoples raises, only my own. I've gotten one every year. Sometimes not very much, other times quite a lot.

If the cost of living in an area is more, then the increase for that area only evens out the cost. Yes, you get more money, but it costs more to live so the net result for a person is zero.

Yes, but a flat rate encourages people to live somewhere with a lower cost of living in order to make ends meet. Why should we subsidize people who want to live in a higher cost area? Also, you know some of the 'Obamaphone' crowd are short sighted at best; they will move to the expensive area to get the COLA increase, not calculating (or caring) that being there eats up that money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
As far as I know, government entitlement programs already have inflation adjusted increases. Social Security certainly does.

Minimum wage doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
dynamiteboy80 wrote:
Also, you know some of the 'Obamaphone' crowd are short sighted at best; they will move to the expensive area to get the COLA increase, not calculating (or caring) that being there eats up that money.

No, I don't know that, but perhaps it's an education issue though and could be corrected.

Some areas are higher, some are lower. Why do you focus on the night cost areas and ignore the low ones? If cost of living were factored in, some areas would be paid less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gray
United States
Bayfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
dynamiteboy80 wrote:
Also, you know some of the 'Obamaphone' crowd are short sighted at best; they will move to the expensive area to get the COLA increase, not calculating (or caring) that being there eats up that money.

No, I don't know that, but perhaps it's an education issue though and could be corrected.

Some areas are higher, some are lower. Why do you focus on the night cost areas and ignore the low ones? If cost of living were factored in, some areas would be paid less.

If you could ensure that it would result in the same total spending across the board (some go up, some go down, no net increase or decrease) I could get on board with the COLA part.

But you know that as soon as you try to reduce payments to the lower cost of living area, everyone will scream that you are cutting funding to the slums/projects. And these lower cost areas traditionally have a higher concentration of minorities, which also makes whoever proposes it a racist. Basically, you are not going to be able to get the reductions, just the increases. This will result in a net increase from the start plus the annual inflation adjustment. Sounds spendy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
dynamiteboy80 wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Yes, but a flat rate encourages people to live somewhere with a lower cost of living in order to make ends meet. Why should we subsidize people who want to live in a higher cost area? Also, you know some of the 'Obamaphone' crowd are short sighted at best; they will move to the expensive area to get the COLA increase, not calculating (or caring) that being there eats up that money.

What is the "'Obamaphone' crowd"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gray
United States
Bayfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:

Not every recipient of a govt program is some smart, single mother, down on her luck. Many are people like this. And they would move for more money, not realizing that it is more expensive there. I work around people like this and oddly enough, they do not have the best budgeting practices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are worried about COLA and the unemployed, what we need is a massive relocation program where we ship the unemployed off to North Dakota and Montana so their cost of living is reduced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dynamiteboy80 wrote:
rshipley wrote:

Not every recipient of a govt program is some smart, single mother, down on her luck. Many are people like this. And they would move for more money, not realizing that it is more expensive there. I work around people like this and oddly enough, they do not have the best budgeting practices.

I work around Libertarians. The woman in the video displays better reasoning skills than they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hafner
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Considering that US notes are produced by a private organization one would think that, let's say minimum wage, would be adjusted in proportion to inflation, as inflation seems to be a product of note production (the tangible value of a note is tiny unless the cost of paper skyrockets).

As to cost of living it may be more complicated: there are numerous variables. In the energy sector, lack of various energy production methods, regulation, and absence of competition influence the market, as does demand. So also, what constitutes necessary energy versus desired energy, i.e. one needs heat to keep from freezing but does one need a tv? Living habits and norms influence cost of living prices too.

I'm afraid that people just don't seem to get or don't seem to care that currencies of assigned value are not the same as ones with intrinsic value. To be fair, you could have a wallpaper craze that would send the dollar through the roof but gold, silver, copper, salt, etc. have multiple applications in industry and society.

So minimum wage could be raised, but how many jobs would be added to print more notes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timothy_Hafner wrote:
Considering that US notes are produced by a private organization one would think that, let's say minimum wage, would be adjusted in proportion to inflation, as inflation seems to be a product of note production (the tangible value of a note is tiny unless the cost of paper skyrockets).

As to cost of living it may be more complicated: there are numerous variables. In the energy sector, lack of various energy production methods, regulation, and absence of competition influence the market, as does demand. So also, what constitutes necessary energy versus desired energy, i.e. one needs heat to keep from freezing but does one need a tv? Living habits and norms influence cost of living prices too.

I'm afraid that people just don't seem to get or don't seem to care that currencies of assigned value are not the same as ones with intrinsic value. To be fair, you could have a wallpaper craze that would send the dollar through the roof but gold, silver, copper, salt, etc. have multiple applications in industry and society.

So minimum wage could be raised, but how many jobs would be added to print more notes?

I believe you're looking for the Bitcoin thread down the hall....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Given that the US consensus is that inflation should advance at about 1.5-2.5% a year, I think its fair that benefits like Minimum Wage and the like should also be increased by the same amount.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Timothy_Hafner wrote:

Seriously, put down the Alex Jones bong.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A COLA might not be a bad idea, number crunching not withstanding. What the people jn this thread agaimst it seem to miss is that even in High COL areas someone still has to pick up the shit. If it's implssible to have a functional lifextyle while doing those jobs the people doing them will turn to a dysfunctional one. That leads to squallor and crime. It benefits the rich to have clean and healthy servants, not wretched ones.

Edit:yearly reaises here too, less than normal, but keeping up with inflation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
Rises in line with inflation are in principle perfectly fair; wages that don't change with inflation are effectively wage cuts.

However, it's a bit tricky to put into practice and it's not common practice in the private sector, so you might end up with some uncomfortable exaggeration of public sector wages. Which would probably mess around with the deficit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Given that the US consensus is that inflation should advance at about 1.5-2.5% a year, I think its fair that benefits like Minimum Wage and the like should also be increased by the same amount.

Darilian

Not sure I would characterize minimum wage as a benefit, seems like that adds some political baggage. I think it is an employer regulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
A COLA might not be a bad idea, number crunching not withstanding. What the people jn this thread agaimst it seem to miss is that even in High COL areas someone still has to pick up the shit. If it's implssible to have a functional lifextyle while doing those jobs the people doing them will turn to a dysfunctional one. That leads to squallor and crime. It benefits the rich to have clean and healthy servants, not wretched ones.

Edit:yearly reaises here too, less than normal, but keeping up with inflation.

Can you say that again slater? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whole *point* of having inflation (stupid as it may be) is that you can reduce people's wages/entitlements without them crying too hard about it.
This is why governments "target" inflation at ~2% rather then at 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:
Whole *point* of having inflation (stupid as it may be) is that you can reduce people's wages/entitlements without them crying too hard about it.
This is why governments "target" inflation at ~2% rather then at 0.

Low level inflation encourages people to do something with their money instead of putting it under the mattress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.