Popular Tags: [View All]
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth just arrived at my door today. I am wondering if this is going to sit on my shelf and collect dust, or is my family (wife and daughters 10 and 12) and I going to love it?

Other games we have played that might be similar in scope are Arkham Horror, World of Warcraft, and Mage Knight. Although, Mage Knight was mostly played by me and my older daughter. We had fun playing these games and while complex not really too terribly difficult.

I just can't decide what to do, so I turn to the great BGG hive mind for help.

There seems to be a lot of rules problems, however, there is a great deal of clarification from the designers. How hard is the game once the rules are known? Do you think we will like it?

I have been looking and hoping for a deeper dungeon crawl experience, is this it?

I have a problem buying games faster than we can play them, and thus we have a large number of unplayed games. I don't want to add this to the list because it's just to complicated. I would rather just auction it off and move along.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I thank you for your time.

Cheers!

Edit: stray comma

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that the game has a high learning curve, "front-loading", if you will. Since each player has their own hand of cards, players need to be able to make their own decisions at a competent level. If you're looking for a game where the game plays you, or a game where one play can zone out without affecting the rest of the gamers, this isn't it.

While Arkham Horror is robust enough that if you make a few mistakes, you will have a good experience, I can't say the same for MYTH. MYTH feels like more of a tactical game, rather than a story experience. You said you have plenty of other games to play, and, with eBay prices, I'd rather you put this money towards your kid's college textbooks.

I'm holding onto MYTH because there's a deep game here, combining many elements of other games I like (synergy, storytelling, sandbox). The sculpts are great, and the bling is fantastic. Plus, the only kid I'm gonna have will be more interested in chasing off raccoons and playing with tennis balls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my dilemma as well; my box shows up on Monday. I am leaning towards opening it and playing it right now, since despite the rules issues it is still getting a lot of love from reviewers.

Since the rest of the KS swag won't be showing up for another month or two (or more? can't keep track any more) I figure I can crack it open and see how it goes down with my group. If it's a big hit I can then say "Well, just wait until the REST of it shows up!" And if not I can sell it off in one big group with everything all bundled together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freelance is right on the money. This game has some deep elements but it is going to require some patience for them to close the gaps/seams in the rules. I just printed off a FAQ that is 11 pages and that is probably still just touching the surface but after one playthough it was still a fun game. Now to sit down and re-read the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend keeping it. It's not really that bad to learn if you print off the PDFs on the Myth website and then when you hit a snag in play just put in a rule that sounds about right if you can't find an answer quickly. Jot it down and look for the official answer later after the game. It's probably not going to be a game breaker anyway. Since it's not competitive, there probably won't be any bruised egos for getting the rule wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I've been pretty positive on the experience here but I'm loving the game. After spending 2 evenings and a morning reading rules and doing a solo quest I played with my wife. I made mistakes, wrote them down, posted questions here (or found answers from other questions) and learned for next time. Did that the next two plays. At this point I've got things down pretty well except for 1 or 2 edge cases and I've taught it to almost 10 people so far. Everyone that has played it has liked it (my 10 year old being the exception but I think that gaming just isn't her thing outside of specific games).

I really like the "build your story" sandbox feel of it. I'm excited for Wave 2 and adding that variety but even as it stands I'm having a lot of fun. There's no way I'd give up my copy right now. Once you get the rules figured out it only gets better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:
It's a tough call, because you WILL be stressed and frustrated the first game or two. However, having just finally completed the "Starting Quest", I now have a firm grasp on the rules, I believe.

However, the game isn't really that hard to play -- honestly, from a gameplay perspective, Mage Knight is MUCH more challenging to figure out.

Unfortunately, it takes a while to figure that out because the rules are drastically incomplete (so you'll be looking stuff up a lot at first), and there are so many moving parts, that if one of them "breaks" due to the rules, it grinds the game to a halt.

So, in short, if you guys can play Mage Knight, you'll have zero problems playing this one... once you get past the rules issues.

The up side is, setup and maintenance on this game is pretty much nil, so once you figure it out, playing a "quick game" really isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Honestly, from a setup perspective, Mage Knight and especially Arkham Horror both take a TON longer. Heck, it takes me longer to set up Pathfinder ACG. For MYTH, it's maybe half a dozen decks and a couple of boards and you're up and running in about 2 minutes.

This is very encouraging to read. I know every single remotely complex game on BGG gets flooded with rules questions upon release - even the D&D adventure games did - but the sheer fuss over this one has been... bemusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
ninjadorg wrote:
JimbobJones wrote:
It's a tough call, because you WILL be stressed and frustrated the first game or two. However, having just finally completed the "Starting Quest", I now have a firm grasp on the rules, I believe.

However, the game isn't really that hard to play -- honestly, from a gameplay perspective, Mage Knight is MUCH more challenging to figure out.

Unfortunately, it takes a while to figure that out because the rules are drastically incomplete (so you'll be looking stuff up a lot at first), and there are so many moving parts, that if one of them "breaks" due to the rules, it grinds the game to a halt.

So, in short, if you guys can play Mage Knight, you'll have zero problems playing this one... once you get past the rules issues.

The up side is, setup and maintenance on this game is pretty much nil, so once you figure it out, playing a "quick game" really isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Honestly, from a setup perspective, Mage Knight and especially Arkham Horror both take a TON longer. Heck, it takes me longer to set up Pathfinder ACG. For MYTH, it's maybe half a dozen decks and a couple of boards and you're up and running in about 2 minutes.

This is very encouraging to read. I know every single remotely complex game on BGG gets flooded with rules questions upon release - even the D&D adventure games did - but the sheer fuss over this one has been... bemusing.

Lol people had problems with the d&d games? Never had a problem with those :o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
JimbobJones wrote:

Lol people had problems with the d&d games? Never had a problem with those :o

Me neither, the rule book was clear as an un-muddied lake - but the forums were still flooded with confusion and pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the huge amounts of different threads that have been started to cover very similar issues has made the problems with the rules appear worse than they are. This isn't for a minute to suggest that there aren't issues because clearly there are (disclaimer - I am yet to play personally). But as with anything of this nature I think once you've got a few games under your belt and have looked up those frustrating things that you couldn't quite figure out, it will play much smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll like it and should keep it.

I had trouble with the rules during my solo playthrough. The next time I played I taught it to two others and had very little problems.

I think this is the difference between learning a complex game right from release and learning a complex game once it has been out a while. I got mine relatively early in the first week and there weren't threads out there to help. So it was confusing. When I first tried to learn Castles of Burgundy I didn't really understand how to play. An hour on the webs and it was straightened out. When trying to learn Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe I had the Box of Delights videos to ease the way. (Granted, all of those rulebooks felt better, except for maybe castles of Burgundy.)

Now, I know that doesn't help people who don't use BGG or use videos, and I'm genuinely worried for those who pick it up right off the shelf. But if you're here you've already got an advantage. I say take it and try it. I think you'll end up loving it.

Edit: Added the rule book caveat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weidus
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got our butt handed to us last night in the Act 2 quest that mimics Slaughterfield. Stupid captains perma-proning me. Then I looked up rules and realized we played some things wrong that made the game actually easier. LOL

This game is rough and I'm excited to face the challenge. The learning curve is extremely rough. Read the unofficial faq and you'll be fine. Once the game starts playing like it should, its an awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for everyone's input, it's greatly appreciated.

I have decided to keep Myth. I am gonna have an auction for some other games to make up the difference.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seththedog wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input, it's greatly appreciated.

I have decided to keep Myth. I am gonna have an auction for some other games to make up the difference.

Happy gaming!

I'm going to keep the game, but sell the ks exclusive figures. Already sold twilight night and one other guy for a reasonable price. Ill likely sell torchbearer and Connor as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.