Subject: Arcane Understanding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"After successfully resolving a spell (lore check) spend a clue to put an eldritch token on this card..."

Must I have a target of a spell in order to cast it?

i.e. Can I cast shriveling when there is no monster in the space to shrivel?

Can I cast Mists of Rileh if there are no monsters in order to avoid encountering?

Etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Mist specifically has FAQ clarification that you can cast it without need.

Teleport and Bless specifically have clarification that target needs to be declared before roll - but I feel that is mostly because they can have special effects on bad/good rolls that relate to the target specifically, not the caster.
As such I would not overgeneralize a universal "must have target" requirement from that, but I would take it as an indication to require both a target, and an early target declaration *where it makes sense".

For Shrivel in particular, I'd probably require a declaration. No shooting the 2 HP monster if you roll poorly and the high HP monster if you roll well on Shrivel 1 imo, for instance.

Other examples: If you cast Clairvoyance, you unlock scrying as additional encounter option, I wouldn't force you to actually pick that that encounter. So that one can theoretically be cast without need too.

Ward And Bravery I'd require an instance of Loss somewhere on the table to be triggerable. Wither needs a combat encounter (but you can of course needlessly cast it even if you have a better weapon)

That about covers the Incantations. What Rituals are left?
I wouldn't force you to actually pick an Asset with conjuration (And even allow casting when that Mythos card has blanked the reserve, so pointless casting is fine there.
For Feed the Mind you would always have yourself as target available so the question is kinda moot, but I'd allow casting it if you already have +2 to all skills and thus don't need it. Not sure If I'd require target declaration before cast as with Port/Bless, those seem mostly about the negative consequences so it's not as severe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kobin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Weltenreiter wrote:
...That about covers the Incantations. What Rituals are left?
I wouldn't force you to actually pick an Asset with conjuration (And even allow casting when that Mythos card has blanked the reserve, so pointless casting is fine there...

I disagree with this one. We had a situation where the reserve was empty for the rest of the game. I discarded conjuration simply to reduce the number of cards in my possession. How could one successfully cast conjuration if there was nothing to conjure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.