Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Doom cards are various victory conditions. To win the game, you have to meet the precondition, which is usually to control a certain number of gates. Then, when you land on one of your gates, you can conduct an action to win the game.

Fright Club, which is relatively easy to set up because you only need three gates, reads as follows:

Resolve three combats as the defender. Begin with the player to your left and continue clockwise. +1 Defense Bonus for each Gate to N'Kai.

What does "resolve" mean in this instance? I just roll the dice and if I lose, I hand over a cultist, as per any other combat? So I do this three times and as long as I have to cultists to pay for the losses, I win?

It seems awfully easy to fulfill next to the other Doom card victory conditions. For instance, another combat oriented Doom card is Sudden Death, which specifies that you must "initiate and win three attacks". Italics theirs. Am I somehow misreading the Fright Club card, or is it just a ridiculously easy victory condition?

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw that tonight, too.
I assumed it meant you had to win as the defender all three times. But you are correct, the verbiage doesn't state that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Baker
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Good catch; the wording is unclear. Reaper Steve is correct in his interpretation. With Fright Club you go around the table and get other players to attack you until you've had three combats. You must WIN all three - as the Defender - to succeed.

It's the same as Sudden Death, except that you act as the Defender instead of the Attacker; so it's a Doom that rewards you for building up a high Defense bonus.

One important note from page 11 of the rules:

"Some Dooms - Fright Club, Sudden Death, and Cosmic Wipeout - require you to engage in combat with other players. This is resolved just like normal combat, but without any of the usual consequences. A successful attacker doesn't get to draw a Chants card or take a Cultist from the defender."

The only thing the combat does is to determine if your Doom is successful; you don't win or lose anything for each individual fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night my daughter-in-law used Fright Club to win the game, and we instinctively interpreted it as "winning" all three battles. So I guess yay for us. Also she liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this all done in one turn? That is to say, once you've opened 3 of your gates and then landed on one of them, do you then go around the table and have 3 successive combats with you as the defender? Or do you have to specifically wait to be attacked by the other players, in clockwise order? Up til now, I thought you had to wait but I'm having second thoughts now as we haven't had this doom card actually played yet.

As an opposing player, once the player with Fright Club opens his third gate, why would I want to attack him/her? Especially if the other 2 players counter-clockwise from me had already attacked and lost after the Fright Club owner had opened that third gate and I'm the third player clockwise from him/her?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.