Subject: is one of the ? card never used? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
is it true? Then is any one card vital to the game balance? If not I may choose to take one out of the deck before the game start, to create some variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the purpose is so even if you are the last person to take a ? card, you still have some choice as to which it will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
Eric Brosius wrote:
I think the purpose is so even if you are the last person to take a ? card, you still have some choice as to which it will be.

Or you are urged not to be the last or you have only one choice. I am ok with harsher rules as long as no one is critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also since you remove cards at random, when you're the second player to choose cards, you can't know for sure what the first player took.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Also since you remove cards at random, when you're the second player to choose cards, you can't know for sure what the first player took.

All the cards are face up? These are not secret. Or am I missing something?

The Bonus cards are faced down and secret. But the ? cards need to be face up to see what bonus they give you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, Ron. You wind up getting two things, a secret endgame goal and something that grants you an in-game power, and we're talking about the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, sorry, I mixed up the ? and End Bonus cards. I suppose removing a ? card just sounded too outlandish to me =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
For a well designed game like RR, the only thing concerns me is the replayability. By removing one at least you created hundreds of new setups! Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.