Dungeon Petz» Forums » General

Subject: Any other newbies keen for a game online (Boite a Jeux)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean H
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm keen to learn this game and have read the rules but need someone else keen to learn or a more experienced player with patience...
If you're keen, hit me (DHunter) up on Boite a Jeux or send a PM.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I only just saw this. I know I'm a few days late, but I'm in although I've never tried Boite a Jeux yet. I have an account, though, so it should be straight-forward. Time zones may be an issue, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Troć
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
Boite a Jeux is a site where you don't play games in real time, so it's not a big issue. I have created an account today to try this game and wrote PM to dhunter, but someone already joined me at my table.

If you want to play 3 or more, and time is not big issue, then invite me also - I can't wait to try this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I didn't realise it wasn't real time. Count me in, then, for a 3-player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in playing, too! My username is cmarie over there as well, if anyone wants to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trociu wrote:
Boite a Jeux is a site where you don't play games in real time, so it's not a big issue. I have created an account today to try this game and wrote PM to dhunter, but someone already joined me at my table.

If you want to play 3 or more, and time is not big issue, then invite me also - I can't wait to try this game.

Dominic, what's your username? I'll try to put up a 4-player game with myself, Dean and Christy. (I go by the name BigPat on that site).

I don't see a way to password, so I guess I just create a 4-player and fill it with invites...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Troć
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
Oh, I forgot ^^ everywhere where board games are involved you will find me as Trociu. And remember that there are two advanced rules- placing meat and using two symbols from cards.
PS if it occurs that playing at two tables is impossible (I started one game in the morning and someone joined me) then don't wait for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, I forgot about the dual symbols on the cards. Will we be using those? I need to learn what they mean, and the other advanced rule for placing meat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, we won't use the dual cards. I'm not sure what the meat rule is.

OK, here's what I'll try and do. I'm going to set up a game at 10pm British time (2300 in Poland, 5pm EST, no idea which time zone in Australia, sorry) and I'll invite the three. Log in at that point and join the 4 player game, I'll call it "Petz Across the World", then we've got all the time in the world.

This is my first time of trying, so it could all go horribly wrong, but it's worth a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Troć
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
If I read it correctly then we can't choose not playing with those two rules but:
1. advanced placing meat is bit fiddly and you will find it at last pages of rulebook - i don't get it fully either
2. When you have two symbols on a card and on the oposite side only 1 symbol, then you choose which side up you will place that card. If two symbols will be up then both of them will make an effect in game (like empty bowl+poo - then you have to feed this pet and clean after it will make poo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The "advanced" placing meat is more a thematic thing than a big strategic change. It just changes, for a couple petz, what goes into the market when an Age 3 pet isn't bought and goes to the "farm". For most petz, you put a meat token there (in addition to what's on the card), but for a few, you put something else instead:
- Ghostie: nothing
- Stareplant: veggies
- Baby Golem: Gold
- Skellie: a potion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I knew that meat rule then, but thanks for clearing it up. If I understand correctly, you say you have the *option* to place the card upside down, so shall we simply say that we won't do that then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way works for me. I found the explanation on the fourth-to-last page of the rulebook, under the heading "Full Variant."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Troć
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
I think that the rule is easy enough and just gives more opportunities in game, so we can use it.

But in fact it is not a problem for me NOT to use it Probably I would made more harm to my pets than good.

As i saw you can make a table with invited guests and only they will see it. If not everyone join within 7 days the game starts to be a public game.

So you can make the table now. And i have second idea:
Since dhunter is from Australia and was not logging on BGG since morning, then maybe lets make 2 tables - 1 for our threesome, and other for four players with him - if he will join we gonna play with him also, but maybe our plan of starting game at 23h today will let us play it in real time

EDIT: I see that even Christy is on the computer right now, so we could start 3 player game now if you want and have some time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start now, then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we're half way through and Dominik has a big lead thanks to somehow feeding his meat-eater with no meat, and then selling for a healthy profit. It's my first time on Boite a Jeux and it works well. A bit slow, perhaps, and I'm going to set my browser to auto-refresh from now on but it's free, and you can't beat that price.

As it's slow going, we didn't finish but will instead keep popping in now and then to see how it's progressing. Current score is:

Trociu 25
Me 12
CMarie 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How can we set it to auto-refresh?

I bet that as a group we could speed up on subsequent plays. Takes a little time just to get used to the interface and figure stuff out, even if you've played before in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends which browser you use. Have a little Google, you should find how to auto-refresh your browser there. Presumably then switch auto-refresh off once you're not using Boite, I guess.

This is Chrome's: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh-plus/...

This is Firefox's: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/auto-refresh/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh ok, thanks. I was thinking it was something specific to boîte a jeux, but I'll investigate the browser options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Troć
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
It is specific to BaJ but very annoying, i have to find auto refresh in Opera because yesterday i was waiting for you dozen times when i was realy waiting for myself :-)
And I have to say i don't like BaJ for no game logs for oponents action - its not easy to learn new game that way and I'm comparing it with Board Game Arena where it helps so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a log, left there are a lot options and one is a log

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Troć
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
Jack Spirio wrote:
There is a log, left there are a lot options and one is a log

So you say that i was playing for 2 hours, checking all the option and i didn't saw it? I really have to change my glasses Or disable blocking of pop-up windows because that was the problem i think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a log either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found history, which would do in a pinch maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, "History" works. I would actually prefer more text over a graphic representation of the actions, but it works ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.