John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't seem to find one in print that fits the bill - Eclipse with 2 people seems to be good or terrible depending on who you ask, and we are really not into 3 hour game sessions (basically impossible with the little one)

Thank you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Impulse will be out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum is one of the best options for 2. People will argue about whether it's 4x or not, but it's a very basic 4x experience that takes about 20 minutes to play. Plus, it's all about rolling dice. It's a great game that I'm surprised hasn't gotten more publicity yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Quantum is one of the best options for 2. People will argue about whether it's 4x or not, but it's a very basic 4x experience that takes about 20 minutes to play. Plus, it's all about rolling dice. It's a great game that I'm surprised hasn't gotten more publicity yet.

Thanks for the suggestions. There a a couple of threads on how most two-player games are blowouts - which isn't much fun for us. Can you comment on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. There a a couple of threads on how most two-player games are blowouts - which isn't much fun for us. Can you comment on this?

They aren't always blowouts. It really depends on the map layout you choose and how the dice roll. There are a few cards I would consider removing from the game with 2, such as one that allows you to never suffer dominance losses from your ships being destroyed (Happened in my first 2p game). Yes, 3 and 4 player games are usually more interesting, but my wife and I enjoy this just fine with 2. It's also short enough to where you can easily play multiple games in case you do feel like the dice weren't rolling in your favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to look at a print-and-play game, Parsec X might fit the bill. 18 cards, 10d6, 15 cubes per player, 30 minutes. Reviews and comments so far all say it captures the essence of a space 4x in a very tiny package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas DeLateur
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Chemistry Ph.D. student, MIT
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear me out...how about a dead ccg from 2001?

Firestorm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascending Empires.

And Eclipse with 2 can easily be done in 60-90 minutes...for 2 I would recommend the use of the ancient homeworlds plus wormholes to give it additional difficulty...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
Ascending Empires.

And Eclipse with 2 can easily be done in 60-90 minutes...for 2 I would recommend the use of the ancient homeworlds plus wormholes to give it additional difficulty...

Is eclipse enjoyable as a two-player only game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Empires of the Void is a great game, and should work for your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas DeLateur
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Chemistry Ph.D. student, MIT
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

I want to stress how amazing a game this is, especially with the updated rules (available via the BGG page).

The only reason I didn't suggest it myself is because I haven't played it with 2 before personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
Ascending Empires.

Is eclipse enjoyable as a two-player only game?

2 Player is definitely not the best way to play it. Your opinion of enjoyable depends on how you feel about a strong potential for zero player interaction between 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

This looks great, but it's basically OOP. =(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an auction going on with a copy of Empires of the Void for sale.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171229/the-auction-tha...?

I love this game. Great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henneth Annun
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mb
solclaim wrote:
If you're willing to look at a print-and-play game, Parsec X might fit the bill. 18 cards, 10d6, 15 cubes per player, 30 minutes. Reviews and comments so far all say it captures the essence of a space 4x in a very tiny package.

+1 for Parsec X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not best with two, but take a look at Galactic Emperor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarc wrote:
There is an auction going on with a copy of Empires of the Void for sale.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171229/the-auction-tha...?

I love this game. Great fun.

60+ shipping is more than I'm willing to spend at the moment. I'll keep an eye on it though, thank you!

Is there any chance of a reprint? At this point I've narrowed it down to being between EooV and Eclipse (though I understand they are very different games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:

60+ shipping is more than I'm willing to spend at the moment. I'll keep an eye on it though, thank you!

Opening bid is $40 and there's no bid on it. $60 is merely the BIN price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:

Opening bid is $40 and there's no bid on it. $60 is merely the BIN price.

Ah, you're right. I'll keep an eye on it, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.