Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Frasca
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
We played a game tonight where all players were able to discard all of their pirates. We found that it is really pretty easy to get rid of pirates by placing workers into the city watch area. Every time you place one in there you lose up to 3 pirates. I have read many posts where people are really concerned about taking pirates. Are we doing something wrong with this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pantherrob96 wrote:
We played a game tonight where all players were able to discard all of their pirates. We found that it is really pretty easy to get rid of pirates by placing workers into the city watch area.

Variant: Pirate scoring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably didn't make a mistake as it's not that uncommon to end up with no pirates.
However, your group (and from what I read here mot other groups as well) probably suffered from groupthink. If one of you had taken advantage and just gathered 20 pirates, he/she would have had many extra actions to use on scoring more points in other areas, which is a viable strategy and worked well in the game I tried it in (I scored 127-16=111 points in a 3p game, enoug for a win).

It's a pity that the first response to what technically is a rules question is a link to a variant attempting to fix something that isn't broken.

I would urge the topic starter to experiment with taking more pirates. Take a risk here and there. You'll see that the other players will probably follow suit (if not, all the better) and start doing so as well. Then you have a competitive race on your hand for who does best while keeping their pirate count below the others in the final score. If you have people that remember exactly who has what, try playing with open pirates.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertopellizini wrote:
If one of you had taken advantage and just gathered 20 pirates, he/she would have had many extra actions to use on scoring more points in other areas, which is a viable strategy and worked well in the game I tried it in (I scored 127-16=111 points in a 3p game, enoug for a win).

However, your group (and from what I read here mot other groups as well) probably suffered from groupthink. II don't understand why people keep saying that. Obviously if one player accepts taking 20 pirates, then another player will accept taking almost that many for half the penalty.

Yes, it's a groupthink thing, because the penalty depends on the outcome of the group..

robertopellizini wrote:
Then you have a competitive race on your hand for who does best while keeping their pirate count below the others in the final score.

Yup, exactly. And when everyone is trying to make sure that they don't have the most pirates, where does that end up? With most people ending with 0. Just like the OP said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

robertopellizini wrote:
Then you have a competitive race on your hand for who does best while keeping their pirate count below the others in the final score.

Yup, exactly. And when everyone is trying to make sure that they don't have the most pirates, where does that end up? With most people ending with 0. Just like the OP said.

Maybe, but getting the pirate penalty does not necessarely mean losing the match.

When every action I do in the last two rounds is focused on getting rid of pirates I rather have a look where I can score more points instead fighting a silly race. I.e. gathering the guild favor that cuts the half of you pirates, do every possible action to gather points, use up to 40 pirates (you can do a lot with these) and let 20 go away within your last action (use the favor). You will certainly get a huge penalty on the score as everybody else might play the chicken-game. But especially in the second half of the game you can score a massive amount of points with your action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unittype wrote:
Maybe, but getting the pirate penalty does not necessarily mean losing the match.

Of course. But it does depend on how many pirates others take. That's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Estep
United States
Morehead
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
LexiCon ... April 20-22, Lexington, KY www.lexicongaming.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night. Starting out I was all about piracy. I figured we were both going to have pirates and would both be taking a hit.

It was only a two player game and the other guy didn't get heavy into piracy and half way through had managed to get rid of the few that he had. I suddenly realized I was going to take the big hit and he wasn't going to take one at all.

I couldn't see myself pulling far enough ahead to take that sort of penalty and started trying to get rid of my piracy.

We both ended the game with zero piracy, but I think my score may have suffered for it. I lost. 78-91.

It was a learning game for both of us. I'll do better next time. And I'll soon be playing it with a different group and I know there are some people there who are not going to mind the piracy penalty at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.