Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
So fall guy states

Trash: prevent another installed resource from being trashed.

How does this timing work? Say the corp starts its turn and the runner is tagged.

Scenario A: The runner must immediately trash Fall Guy and designate a resource. It may not be trashed for the entirety of the corp's turn.

Scenario B: The corp pays 2c and designates a resource to trash. The runner then uses Fall Guy.

Pretty sure it's A, but making sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysander1 wrote:
So fall guy states

Trash: prevent another installed resource from being trashed.

How does this timing work? Say the corp starts its turn and the runner is tagged.

Scenario A: The runner must immediately trash Fall Guy and designate a resource. It may not be trashed for the entirety of the corp's turn.

Scenario B: The corp pays 2c and designates a resource to trash. The runner then uses Fall Guy.

Pretty sure it's A, but making sure.

Of your two scenarios, Scenario B is much more likely to be correct. Prevent/avoid is always in response to something happening.

Scenario A does not make any sense whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fall Guy is a prevent effect

Quote:
Some card abilities use the words “prevent” or “avoid.” Prevent or avoid effects are the only effects which can disrupt another effect. A prevent or avoid effect states what it is preventing or avoiding, and an effect that is prevented or avoided is not resolved. Prevent or avoid effects can be triggered whenever the effect they are preventing or avoiding is resolving.

So Scenario B is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
So the corp can use his next click to trash the same resource he attempted to trash the first time?shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario B is correct.

And yes, the Corp can pay 2 credits again to trash the resource anyway.

Fall Guy has more, better uses, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just use Freelancer.

Curious as to what lead you to believe it might be A. Because I don't see any place on the card that would lead people to believe that you can prevent the trashing for an entire turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Well it still has some uses in a dedicated DLR deck.

-Siphon to zero, mill 3x
-Corp clicks twice for money, DLR trashing is prevented
-Runner mills four more times

Rinse and repeat if the runner has multiple DLRs or Fall Guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysander1 wrote:
So the corp can use his next click to trash the same resource he attempted to trash the first time?shake

Yes, just like a runner can re-attempt to break a subroutine prevented by Tyr's Hand.

Prevent effects aren't exactly new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Because I don't see any place on the card that would lead people to believe that you can prevent the trashing for an entire turn.

I was trying to hope the card is better than it really is, for Anarch's sake. And for some reason I always forget there's a timing window for prevent effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:
Lysander1 wrote:

Yes, just like a runner can re-attempt to break a subroutine prevented by Tyr's Hand.

Prevent effects aren't exactly new.

Also, Sacrificial Construct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysander1 wrote:
Quote:
Because I don't see any place on the card that would lead people to believe that you can prevent the trashing for an entire turn.

I was trying to hope the card is better than it really is, for Anarch's sake. And for some reason I always forget there's a timing window for prevent effects.

Making the corp waste 2 clicks and 4 credits to trash a resource isn't bad.

edit:

Or if only there were cards that let you take all of the corps money, but tagged you. Meaning corp would have to take 2 credits and could only trash one card on their turn. Say, Account Siphon or Vamp? Might be a good card for people who like to do such things, but wish they could play resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The cards not bad. It also prevents trashing of The Source and NACH.

Also, making the corp pay four and two of their precious clicks to trash a 0 cost and another 0 or 1 cost resource is not bad at all in my book. I am looking forward to using the card in tag-me Anarch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarSix wrote:
The cards not bad. It also prevents trashing of The Source and NACH.

Also, making the corp pay four and two of their precious clicks to trash a 0 cost and another 0 or 1 cost resource is not bad at all in my book. I am looking forward to using the card in tag-me Anarch.

Well, this card does not make them pay 4 and 2 clicks. This card adds 2 credits and 1 click to the usual trash cost. Taking into account that you pay 2 clicks to draw and install...it is not such a great deal.

Don't get me wrong, I do not think it is a bad card... but I think its main purpose was what you initially said (prevent the Source or similar cards from being trashed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artifice Knight
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
The corp only has 3 clicks to work with though. Depending on *how* you managed to get trace, fall guy can turn a bad loss to something good.

Recently, I was playing against an NBN deck with my (rather resource heavy) Shaper deck. They installed a breaking news on a San San grid, advanced, and scored it. With 2 tags now, they had a click to play freelancer to kill my newly installed daily casts and my Kati Jones with 6 creds on her.

With Fall Guy, that would've meant I could've saved either one. If they hadn't had Freelancer, I wouldn't have lost anything. And protecting those two would've definitely taking the teeth out of the sudden loss of help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonus ridiculous shenanigans question:

-If the corp plays Freelancer to trash Fall Guy plus one other resource (let's say it's Aesop, as an example), can you trash the targeted Fall Guy to prevent loss of Asesop, thereby losing only one resource?

I think this is probably legal, no, silly as it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meng
msg tools
Kester wrote:

-If the corp plays Freelancer to trash Fall Guy plus one other resource (let's say it's Aesop, as an example), can you trash the targeted Fall Guy to prevent loss of Asesop, thereby losing only one resource?

Based on the way Lukas ruled Ares Project vs. Sacrificial Construct, I'd say that's correct.

... unless he overturned that ruling and I missed the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Tebben
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Kester wrote:

Yes. It's basically the same scenario as the Project Ares/Sacrificial Construct ruling. The trashing is simultaneous, but prevent effects interrupt the usual timing, so the runner could sacrifice Fall Guy to protect Aesop's.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both! I'd missed the ruling on the analagous Sacrificial Construct situation, so that helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Just use Freelancer.

I think Freelancer into FallGuy + something else will trash only fallguy, like Project Ares does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me wonder why the trashing from Character Assassination cannot be prevented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alsciende wrote:
Makes me wonder why the trashing from Character Assassination cannot be prevented.

It's hard to pin someone else for your actions when your face is plastered all over NBN world news?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:
Alsciende wrote:

It's hard to pin someone else for your actions when your face is plastered all over NBN world news?

Is it? :-) I thought politicians did that all the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alsciende wrote:
Taloncarde wrote:
Alsciende wrote:

Is it? :-) I thought politicians did that all the time!

Not quite the same situation

And besides, politicians lose supporters just like anyone else does through a dedicated enough smear campaign.

EDIT: A politician Runner... Quick! To variants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... another somewhat related question/statement

I assume Freelancer/Fallguy interaction would follow the Agg. Sec./Sac.Cons. precedent.

That is,
First: Freelancer -> corp must first specify two resources to trash
Second: Fall Guy can save one

If Corp tried to be cute and designate the same resource twice for trashing then FallGuy would still save it.

Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually from latest FAQ on Aggressive Sec

Quote:
The Corporation cannot
choose to trash the same
program more than once.

So I would assume Freelancer follows the same logic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.