Subject: Games for people with poor vision rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: shouldbeageeklist [+] [View All]
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I would like to ask for some recommendations on this topic since I have bad vision (not blind, but I don't like games that depend too much on text at the center of the table because I can't read the text on those situations).

I just started my collection like 2 weeks ago, and I already own:

-Catan
-Catan 5-6 players
-Telestrations
-Pentago
-7 Womders
-King Of Tokyo
-King of Tokyo: Power UP!
-King of Tokyo: Halloween
-Takenoko
-Dominion
-Bang: 10th Anniversary Edition
-Dixit
-Ticket to Ride: Europe
-Ticket to Ride: Europe 1912
-The Resistance: Avalon
-No Thanks!
-Pandemic
-Shadows over Camelot

I am looking for must have games that I can enjoy. I bought those games because I can play them fairly well. With Ticket to Ride I have the map on my iPad next to me so I know where the cities are. I don't have too much problems with the other games, since for example, when I play Bang my friends just let me know their characters ability and those sort of things.

I will be getting soon:
-Zombie Dice Deluxe
-Jamaica (hopefully CSI get it on stock soon)
-Hive
-Qwirkle
-Tsuro
-Lost Cities Card Game

Thank you very much, every comment will be very appreciate!

PS: I shared the list of the games I own so you can have an idea of which games might be good for me. Thanks!

EDIT: I got some new games:
-Tokaido (can´t wait to play this)
-Zombie Dice Deluxe (very quick game to decide which the next game is gonna be)
-Hive Carbon
-Tsuro of the Seas
-JAMAICA! Finaaaally!
-Carcassonne (not sure if I will have a problem or not, I hope no!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played with somone with bad vision, he liked Mord im Arosa.
It relies on sound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone age!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parade

Hanabi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
That's a fantastic collection!!

Maybe have a look at Citadels? It's another role selection game with very little text (just the characters abilites printed on the 8 role cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for Tichu as I love it and it is a simple card game. Players can easily say what they are playing and you should be set.

Hive is a good 2-player game that would be easy to do for ya.

Eminent Domain would also work relatively well. It comes with the back of the instructions having all the tech cards on it, so you usually can handle stuff without much being far away from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my essential tools for reading wargame counters ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to take a look at reviews by
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
at http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/2893/eurogamergirl-on-games or maybe even contact her directly. Her husband has vision issues, so she always mentions how easy it is to see the cards in her reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
We have played with somone with bad vision, he liked Mord im Arosa.
It relies on sound.

That sounds interesting! I will definitely be checking that since my goal is to have a great variety of games so I have games to play with my girlfriend, friends, mother-in-law, geek friends and so on. A game relied on sound is sure different from the ones that I have! Thank you!

rayzor6 wrote:
Stone age!

When I was watching some Dice Tower top 10´s list videos, I saw they loved this game. Intermediately after that, I went to watch a tutorial video but I felt overwhelm 5 seconds into the video by the pieces and the board and forgot about it. However, after you telling me this was OK for my eyes, I gave it a chance and watched a whole tutorial video... and I thank you for that because this looks GREAT! It is good enough for my eyes, it seems like it is a must have games, I think it is different to the games I already own plus it looks really interesting! Thank you!

matthean wrote:

I will be checking those two, thank you!!

True_Dave wrote:
That's a fantastic collection!!

Maybe have a look at Citadels? It's another role selection game with very little text (just the characters abilites printed on the 8 role cards).

My brother´s girlfriend & my girlfriend got me into this with Settlers of Catan and Bang! like 3 weeks ago & since then I went nuts with trying to build my collection! We also played Ticket to Ride but I didn´t enjoyed then because the cities, but now since I have the map on my iPad next to me (God bless technology), I think it is really fun! I love how board games can bring us together. I will be checking Citadels for sure, thank you mate!

nukesniper wrote:
I would go for Tichu as I love it and it is a simple card game. Players can easily say what they are playing and you should be set.

Eminent Domain would also work relatively well. It comes with the back of the instructions having all the tech cards on it, so you usually can handle stuff without much being far away from you.

I know I will be getting Hive for sure, I just don´t know if I should get the Carbon version with the expansions or the colour one. I really like the one with colour better but the fact that the Carbon one has the expansions... hmmm, I haven´t decided yet. I will be checking Tichu and Eminent Domain for sure, thank you!!

bltzlfsk wrote:
One of my essential tools for reading wargame counters ...

LOL! I might consider that, god I hated how small the Settlers of Catan letters are (the ones on the development cards) but since I know them from memory now, I don´t mind anymore.

anjulka wrote:
You may want to take a look at reviews by
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
at http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/2893/eurogamergirl-on-games or maybe even contact her directly. Her husband has vision issues, so she always mentions how easy it is to see the cards in her reviews.

This is awesome info, thank you veeery much. I read the first three reviews She has and the info about the vision concerns is really helpful. This link is going to my favourites on my web browser. It seems to me that her husband has a much more severe issue, because She mentioned She has to read King of Tokyo cards to him and I don´t have a problem with reading cards on my hand, however, this will be an absolutely great point of reference. Thank you very much Sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Stone Age looks complicated until you see it played. Even the iPad app is complicated. However if you see it in action you quickly catch on and then wonder why you were confused in the first place in the first place. It quickly has become one of my favorite games and I only learned it this week! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for party games try

Train of Thought
Off Your Rocker

these are more thinky than your average party games

Qwirkle is a great family game and has big colorful symbols

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I'm slightly surprised you don't have an issue with Dixit. Our clues often rely on tiny details that are on the cards.

I'd recommend Acquire. It's a great game, certainly in the top five most popular games in my house. It goes in and out of print with surprising regularity but you should have no problem getting a copy even if it is currently OOP. From an eyesight point of view I think the only difficulty would be counting how many shares your opponents have at a distance, but half the time we just ask for the number anyway.

Coloretto I just got recently and it's proved popular. Since it is based on collecting sets of colours there should be no issues seeing what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True_Dave wrote:

The text on the purple districts might be problematic, but then I don't think most people with good eyesight can read them across the table so usually when I play people get asked what the purple district does when they play it.

I'd caution against buying too many games at once, I find that unless I play a game a few times in a short period of time I forget some of the rules. If I bought that many games I'd either leave someone unplayed or play them all once and forget most of the rules!

However if you want Jamaica then buy it now - a friend just bought it and the first place he tried to buy it from didn't have it in stock and told him to buy it as soon as he found it in stock anywhere as they wouldn't be getting any more copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
zabdiel wrote:
True_Dave wrote:

The text on the purple districts might be problematic, but then I don't think most people with good eyesight can read them across the table so usually when I play people get asked what the purple district does when they play it.

Good catch, I'd forgotten about them. And after checking there are more than I thought (12 in the base game and 14 in the expansion), creating an overview of their abilities on the ipad might be in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While Hanabi has next to no text to read, the colours are too similar with some versions.

In mine (the R&R Games small box version), the yellow and white are too similar, the same with the blue and green. DON'T even think about playing this in poor lighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
While Hanabi has next to no text to read, the colours are too similar with some versions.

In mine (the R&R Games small box version), the yellow and white are too similar, the same with the blue and green. DON'T even think about playing this in poor lighting.

That's why you can look at the shapes below the numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hippiephysicschick wrote:
for party games try

Train of Thought
Off Your Rocker

these are more thinky than your average party games

Qwirkle is a great family game and has big colorful symbols

I will. You are right, my party games are too "simple". Maybe I need some more complicated party games! Thank you!

petercox wrote:
Airlines Europe the step up from Ticket to Ride

Trajan if you find you are in for something more heavy.

No Thanks!

Power Grid

I heard Power Grid is really good, however when I saw a video I felt overwhelm (same thing with Stone Age). I will give it another chance. About No thanks! I own it and it´s great. I will look for Trajan, thank´s!

Hivemind wrote:
I'm slightly surprised you don't have an issue with Dixit. Our clues often rely on tiny details that are on the cards.

I'd recommend Acquire. It's a great game, certainly in the top five most popular games in my house. It goes in and out of print with surprising regularity but you should have no problem getting a copy even if it is currently OOP. From an eyesight point of view I think the only difficulty would be counting how many shares your opponents have at a distance, but half the time we just ask for the number anyway.

Coloretto I just got recently and it's proved popular. Since it is based on collecting sets of colours there should be no issues seeing what's going on.

About Dixit, I always sit on the nearest place to the cards/board because everyone knows about my vision problem. However, it doesn´t bother anyone if I ask to have a better look to the cards : )

I will check Acquire, and Coloretto sounds very interesting! I will definitely watch some YouTube videos. Thank you!

zabdiel wrote:
True_Dave wrote:

I'd caution against buying too many games at once, I find that unless I play a game a few times in a short period of time I forget some of the rules. If I bought that many games I'd either leave someone unplayed or play them all once and forget most of the rules!

However if you want Jamaica then buy it now - a friend just bought it and the first place he tried to buy it from didn't have it in stock and told him to buy it as soon as he found it in stock anywhere as they wouldn't be getting any more copies.

The reason for me to buy so many games in a short period of time is because I live in Mexico and stores here doesn´t sell or have a great variety of games so I have to buy them in the US online and pay the shipping to Mexico, so in order to be worth it for me I have to order many games so the shipment cost is worth it. If I buy 1 or 2 games, the shipment cost will be around 45$-60$. My last order to CSI I ordered 8 games and 14 packs of sleeves and I paid 85$ for the shipment.

I will buy Jamaica for sure, I loooove the art of the game and I don´t have any "racing" games. Thank´s for the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Penton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Jorge

I have a close friend and gamer who is partially sighted so I've done some research into possibilities.
+1 citadels (my friend love this game and has no difficulty with the text (she'll just pick up a purple from someone elses city for a closer look if necessary and the only other card are either in her hand or are hidden)
I've been eying up Kingdom Builderas a possible new purchase - looks to have virtually no in game text and all the iconography is repeated on large board-edge player aids.

all the best

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Visionary

It even comes with a blindfold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jagg857 wrote:

nukesniper wrote:

I know I will be getting Hive for sure, I just don´t know if I should get the Carbon version with the expansions or the colour one. I really like the one with colour better but the fact that the Carbon one has the expansions... hmmm, I haven´t decided yet.

The expansions are available for all three sets - Hive (color), Hive (carbon) and Hive Pocket (also colour).

For what it's worth, if you have poor eyesight, I would go with the full size colour version with the pocket as a second depending on how bad your eyesight is and your ability to distinguish colour. I would avoid the carbon version, as although it is beautiful, you would be required to see the detail on the pieces to tell which is which.

Our eyesight is not bad and we decided to go for the colour ones on those grounds despite preferring the appearance of the carbon version.

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagleshard wrote:
Hi Jorge

I have a close friend and gamer who is partially sighted so I've done some research into possibilities.
+1 citadels (my friend love this game and has no difficulty with the text (she'll just pick up a purple from someone elses city for a closer look if necessary and the only other card are either in her hand or are hidden)
I've been eying up Kingdom Builderas a possible new purchase - looks to have virtually no in game text and all the iconography is repeated on large board-edge player aids.

all the best

Chris

So many people suggesting Citadels, hmmm... I watched a video yesterday and I have to admit that the art was kinda "meh" for me and the first thing I saw on the video were the role cards and I stopped watching. I came to the thread this morning and saw your post and decided to give it another chance. I think I won´t have a problem and it seems fun! I don´t understand how the roles work (yet) but I will highly consider buying it. However, Tom Vasel said this can take up to 6 hours, I am a little worried about this because it might not be the best for my group.

I want to buy Hanabi (suggested by many on the thread) just because it won Spiel des Jahres 2013. I watched a video and it actually looks real good! Can´t go wrong with the Spiel des Jahres award. Thank´s!

ps: Thank you for the kind words.

Dirge the Troll wrote:

Visionary

It even comes with a blindfold.

Never saw anything like that before! I am not a huge fan of dexterity games (my Lord I hate Jenga), but I will check it out just because the blindfold. Thank you!

Susie_Cat wrote:
Jagg857 wrote:

nukesniper wrote:

I know I will be getting Hive for sure, I just don´t know if I should get the Carbon version with the expansions or the colour one. I really like the one with colour better but the fact that the Carbon one has the expansions... hmmm, I haven´t decided yet.

The expansions are available for all three sets - Hive (color), Hive (carbon) and Hive Pocket (also colour).

For what it's worth, if you have poor eyesight, I would go with the full size colour version with the pocket as a second depending on how bad your eyesight is and your ability to distinguish colour. I would avoid the carbon version, as although it is beautiful, you would be required to see the detail on the pieces to tell which is which.

Our eyesight is not bad and we decided to go for the colour ones on those grounds despite preferring the appearance of the carbon version.

Susie_Cat.

I just got Hive Carbon yesterday (CSI will ship today and I will have it in a couple weeks because you know, International shipping). Even when I know colours would be better for my eyes, I couldn´t resist that the expansions were already included on Hive Carbon. If you but them separately, you ended up paying like 20$ more.

I decided to go with Hive Carbon not because the expansions, but because since this is a two player game, I am sure I can play on a small table where the tiles are going to be near enough for me to be able to see them clearly. If I ended up having problems, I can always mark them

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.