When Darkness Comes» Forums » Variants

Subject: Discussion about House Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I have bought the game yesterday for solitaire play and after having given the first scenario a try, I downloaded the revised combined rules.
Right now, I am preparing my second session with a scenario written by myself and also using a lot of house rules/modifications as many things do not really make sense to me (at least in my scenario). For instance, having to pick the lock of a cafe or food mart with customers inside if you wish to enter, whereas there is nothing to stop you from entering the private/storage rooms of that same mart once you succeeded in breaking into the sales area.

Therefore, I was wondering what other people have done to improve their experience of this game.

Yours,
Deathworks

P.S.: I will post more about my modifications later, once I have finalized them for my first play-through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of scenarios have special rules to cover the nature & context of the scenario in question. If the scenario in question takes place during business hours of a particular establishment, it's perfectly reasonable that the doors would be unlocked, & that character can come & go as they please.

So I wouldn't consider them house rules per se, more just scenario rules.

Although not stated as such, the "default" setting of the game seems to assume it's night, businesses closed, etc. Which is why you have the locks, rules for gaining failures on kicking in doors & breaking windows, etc.

Think of WDC as more of a RPG/Board game hybrid rather than pure board game. In the RPG context you'll have to provide the scenario & all the context (day or night? weather? Doors locked or not, conditions that must be fulfilled, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Mmmhhh, I am still a bit wondering about random people being in closed shops, but I guess that is where we need to fill in the gaps.

Anyhow, I am currently fleshing out the details of my scenario, re-interpreting the chips.

As for rules, thus far, I am considering removing the victory point loss for true solo (= single character) in order to allow the solitaire player to use victory points more freely for re-rolls or additional dice. (I admit that I also never quite understood the logic of losing those points upon dropping an item, especially since they are not gained, right, if you pick it up again).

In solitaire play, I think removing the one- ally- per- test- limit so that having several allies would allow a player to get more re-roll dice, thus replacing the player-player-cooperation.

Instead of the locked outer doors, most shops have the private areas/store rooms locked. In order to mark this, I am putting euro cubes on the doors, the number of cubes indicating the difficulty. Matching the concept of locked doors, they separate the chips from each other. For instance, if there are 4 chips in the cafe, one of them being in the locked storage room, if one of the chips in the main area causes a reshuffling, only the chips in the main area get reshuffled, while the one in the locked storage room remains where it is.

In addition, unlocked doors remain open for the rest of the game.

Those are the adaptations I am currently considering (besides a few special scenario rules like convincing your mom :) :) :) ).

Yours,
Deathworks

EDIT: To show what I mean with the cubes, here is the setup for my simplified test run for my scenario (without detailed re-tuning of the chips):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.