Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Immobilized and moster special action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Immpobilized block also monster special action such as Burrow?

Immobilized
Quote:
You cannot perform move actions or suffer Fatigue to gain movement points. Discard this card or token at the end of your turn

Creatures who are immobilized cannot perform move actions or suffer Fatigue to gain movement points. The condition is discarded at the end of the immobilized creature's turn. If a creature becomes immobilized during its move action, its move action immediately ends.

Quote:
Burrow: Remove the figure from the map and place it in an unoccupied or occupies space up to 3 spaces. Each figure occupying any target space is moved to the closest empty space of your choice and suffers 1 Fatigue. Limit once per monster per turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should, but applying RAW, I would say it doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Immobilized heroes can use other skills that give them movement points, just not use a MOVE ACTION or suffer Fatige to gain movement points.

Jain Fairwood's heroic feat, for example, is allowed, so I'd say Burrow is allowed as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Looking at the FAQ solidifies it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Descent_Second_Edition_Un...

Q: Immobilize card says it only prevents hero from using Move action or fatigue to generate movement points. I'm aware it also stops movement action if someone gets immobilized during it's duration.
Does Immobilize stop movement gained from other abilities that grand movement points or let hero move up to speed?

A: Immobilize only prevents move actions and suffering fatigue. Gaining movement points while immobilized through some other means unrelated to a move action or suffering fatigue, "moving up to your speed" as the result of an ability, or being removed from the map and placed elsewhere is all allowed with immobilize as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to go with the flow with the best of 'em. However I've seen this in other games too. Surely if you are immobilised you can't move. Perhaps if you have a spell you could make it a special case. But if you immobilise a worm it couldn't burrow. I hate house rules but I have a strong urge to do so here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I proposed a while ago that eases this in people's minds is to change the name of the Immobilized Condition. In Descent 2e, Immobilized doesn't mean immobilized in the literal sense. It means "cannot perform a move action or suffer fatigue to gain movement points." If it did mean immobilized in the literal sense, it would be even more powerful than it already is.

A Plague Worm can use Burrow while Immobilized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a nice idea but I can't think of anything that would fit the bill.You are as well substituting immobilized with stunned really. It's more consistent and more easily rationalized. I'd be pretty irritated if I had worked to stop a monster/hero from moving only to be able to do a special action and, well, move. Also, as is often inconsistent with immobilized conditions in other games, if you are immobilized then really there should be very little you can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Just imagine the worm was immobilized by throwing a net over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Something I proposed a while ago that eases this in people's minds is to change the name of the Immobilized Condition. In Descent 2e, Immobilized doesn't mean immobilized in the literal sense. It means "cannot perform a move action or suffer fatigue to gain movement points." If it did mean immobilized in the literal sense, it would be even more powerful than it already is.

A Plague Worm can use Burrow while Immobilized.

Something like "Slowed," "Ensnared," or "Entangled?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon-Carlo Canezo
msg tools
Rooted is a good one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.