Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Percan
Sweden
Malmö
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually a lurker here on BGG and english is not my native language. Please be gentle to me laugh

What it is
A real time, team based board game in which players manoeuvre a space ship by franticly rolling dice.

Learning

The rulebook is well written and has a lot of examples. Some minor things is unclear and it can be hard to find rules when questions appear mid-game.

Teaching

It is a quite easy game to teach but because of its real-time nature, it is important everybody understand every detail. This makes the explanation a bit long, especially compared to the short playing time. There is also an excellent video where the designers explains the rules.

Laughs

The stressful gameplay creates a good ground for laughs. When the weapon officer screams "FIRE TWO TORPEDOES!" and sees that the officer at the helm just turned the ship around, resulting in two torpedoes flying in to deep space, it is hard not to laugh.

Brain-burn

There is no time to think, at all. The one star awarded for brain-burn is because of the mental exhaustion after a game.

Luck-factor

This is hard to gauge. An experienced team will most definitely beat a team of beginners. Of course, the dice rolling is a luck-factor, but I guess it is mitigated be the sheer number of rolls.

Strategy

If playing with a captain on the teams, I guess it is possible to form a strategy. Although the choices are at most short term.

Tactics

This game is all about quick choices based on a glance.

Artwork

The artwork is a bit cartoony and silly. I guess it fits the game nicely but it does not grab me.

Components

The dice have an excellent feel to them and are just begging to be tossed! The other components are ok but nothing to write home about.

Theme Integration

It feels as if your team is on the bridge of a space ship and an enemy ship is approaching. Very stressful!

Replayabillity

I can´t help feeling that something is missing. Just after one play, I wished something would be different the next game. Luckily, the upcoming expansion seem to fix this.

Comments:
This game is a total blast, especially with 6 or more players. Although it is extremely stressful and after a game of Space Cadet Dice Duel, I am longing for a normal board game where I can sit, relax and chat with my friends - not scream at them.

If you like this type of reviews, please check my geeklist: Short star-based review - The Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done and good review! You are quite right at how exhausting the game can be, because it is that intense. We played it at work, and everyone wanted a drink when they got done. They had fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done! Thanks for the review!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.