Subject: Translation Error in German Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really bugs me.
In the English version, there is this card "Soothsayer." In Dominion: Cornucopia there is the "Fortune Teller".
The German translation for "Fortune Teller" was "Wahrsagerin", which is fine. The translation of Guilds "Soothsayer" now also is "Wahrsagerin", which is unbelievably slobby work. For a number of reasons it is a problem to have two different cards with the same name in the game. And it really should not happen.
Is this because Rio Grande does it themselves now, instead of letting Hans im Glück continue the good work?

I am annoyed. The expansion is too expensive anyway, for what is in it. And then that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmb
No problem with ranting, but if one is not accurate on the reason ... go back and start again!

It is Wahrsagerin (female in Cornucopia) and Wahrsager (male in guilds).

I agree, there would have been better choices for translating Soothsayer, but that is spilled water. And there is another name clash : Abenteuer (=venture) and Abenteurer (adventurer) has only 1 letter for distinction, but is easier distinguishable due to type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
Is this because Rio Grande does it themselves now, instead of letting Hans im Glück continue the good work?
Not RGG does the work now, but it is ASS Altenburger. And the work of HiG was not so good, as you seem to think of, since they are responsible for many translation errors in the cards text. And some of them are critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not true.

My copies of both expansions do have "Wahrsagerin" (female form) on both cards. Not only on the cards, also in the rules. Only "Wahrsagerin", not the male form.

Could it be that you only know the electronic version, which might be different? Also, some of the early forum entries in German language forums seem to imply this, but that is not what the actual cards were printed like.

Whether HiG did a great job or not, I am not 100% sure. I never encountered any problems with the cards, but have read about people who did. The first thing I notice with Dominion, that I do have a huge problem with is this one.

Thanks for pointing out the ASS connection.
I also wrote to the publisher about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Then appreciate, that you got something like stamps "blue mauritius" pendant.

Any possibilities, that you put a photo of the guilds card online? I guess, also the comrades on dominionblog would be interested in that.

Please check also, wether the text on Wahrsager(in), Steinmetz und Kaufmannsgilde is correct. Before official release there existed a PDF showing errors in these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Si Fei wrote:
This really bugs me.
In the English version, there is this card "Soothsayer." In Dominion: Cornucopia there is the "Fortune Teller".
The German translation for "Fortune Teller" was "Wahrsagerin", which is fine. The translation of Guilds "Soothsayer" now also is "Wahrsagerin", which is unbelievably slobby work. For a number of reasons it is a problem to have two different cards with the same name in the game. And it really should not happen.

Actually there is a big list of translation errors for the HiG versions, which are being fixed in the new versions (see http://forum.dominionblog.de/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1338).

My understanding is that Soothsayer was printed with the duplicate name (obviously a mistake), then that was fixed and more copies were printed. Which explains why some people see it matching Fortune Teller and some people see it being different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
My understanding is that Soothsayer was printed with the duplicate name (obviously a mistake), then that was fixed and more copies were printed.

That would explain it.

How do I know what the correct wording for the other cards is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Si Fei wrote:

I can only help you for English. All of the English wordings are correct, which is to say, any mistakes are mine and have not been significant enough to errata (for example Throne Room not saying "you may"). You can see them all here: http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
That is not true.

My copies of both expansions do have "Wahrsagerin" (female form) on both cards. Not only on the cards, also in the rules. Only "Wahrsagerin", not the male form.

Both versions seem to exist. I'm pretty sure when Guilds was released they had "Soothsayer" as male "Wahrsager". Complaints about reusing "Wahrsagerin" only popped up recently, so I'm pretty sure they changed it for the worse in later printings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Watno wrote:
Both versions seem to exist. I'm pretty sure when Guilds was released they had "Soothsayer" as male "Wahrsager". Complaints about reusing "Wahrsagerin" only popped up recently, so I'm pretty sure they changed it for the worse in later printings.

That seems plausible enough that I have reported it to Jay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Watno wrote:
I'm pretty sure when Guilds was released they had "Soothsayer" as male "Wahrsager".

I can confirm that. I bought my German copy of Guilds at SPIEL Essen 2013 (which had the first batch right after release as far as I know) and my cards say "Wahrsager". If they really changed that to the already existing "Wahrsagerin" in later printings, they made the problem worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:

Wahrsager
Nimm dir ein Gold. Jeder Mitspieler
nimmt sich eine Fluchkarte. Wer eine
Fluchkarte nimmt, zieht eine Karte
vom Nachziehstapel.

Steinmmetz
Entsorge eine Karte aus deiner Hand.
Nimm 2 Karten, die jeweils weniger
als die entsorgte Karte kosten.
karten, die jeweils so viel kosten,
wie du zusätzlich bezahlt hast.

Kaufmannsgilde
+ 1 Kauf
+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! My cards all have exactly that text, with the exception of the title of the Wahrsager card, which is "Wahrsagerin" in my copy (also in the rules book in the explanation section and in the recommmended card sets section. Its "Wahrsagerin" everywhere.).
Its not that hard to understand, why that could happen - the Soothsayer is rather female looking after all. Had they just chosen "Seher" (seer) or something in German, the problem would not have arisen. Even "Wahrsager" in the male form seems a strikingly poor choice.

Quote:

Complaints about reusing "Wahrsagerin" only popped up recently, so I'm pretty sure they changed it for the worse in later printings.

Interesting. So I am not the only one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote an e-mail to ASS Altenburger and they replied today.

First, they named the card "Wahrsager", but because the person on the card looks clearly female, they changed it to "Wahrsagerin". Unfortunately they didn't checked the names of the cards in older expansions.

The next edition will have fixed that. Then the card will be called "Hellseherin".

I got the chance to choose to either get the "Wahrsager" from the first edition or wait a few weeks for the "Hellseherin" from the third edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.