Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the announcement of the new Rebel Aces pack, I thought it would be fun to speculate on what a new 2-ship expansion could look like. I think most would agree that the TIE Advanced needs help the most and the iconic Y-wing could use a boost for the Rebels. I'd call it "Trench Run" while other smart people prefer Battle of Yavin, which also sounds pretty good to me.

So here's what I would include (notwithstanding its all completely unplaytested):
*Only new cards listed
Y-wing (design note: themes around gold squadron and the use of TL)

Davish "Pops" Krail: PS 6 You and each friendly ship within Range 1 may spend a TL to gain an Evade token

(Pops is a veteran pilot and peer of Garven hence PS 6. Thematically he suggested they switch power to rear deflectors when the turbo lasers suddenly stopped. A defensive use of TL seemed appropriate here)

Tiree: PS 5 You may TL a friendly ship. While in range 1 of your TL, you may suffer any uncancelled crits instead of target locked ship.

(Tiree was Dutch's wingman and the first to be destroyed by Vader. Taking the hits allows his leader more time to stay on target)

R5-?? Cost 1 If R5-?? has no TL token, you may may transfer your blue TL token to this card and use it as your own.

R2-?? Cost 3 If R2-?? has less than 2 stress tokens, you may transfer your stress token to this card.
Action: remove all stress tokens from R2-??

Gold Squadron Veteran cost 0 title. Y-wing only.
Your upgrade bar gains (EPT). This can only be played on pilots of Skill 5 or higher

Gray Squadron cost 0 Title. Y-wing only. Your upgrade bar gains the (Crew) icon

Bomb bay refit cost 0 (photon) your upgrade bar gains the (Bomb) icon

Stay on Target (EPT) cost 2. If a ship in your firing arc that you have a TL on boosts or barrel rolls you may immediately perform a boost or barrel roll.

TIE Advanced

You can't really have a Trench Run themed pack without Vader so at first I thought about a new version of Vader but it would be difficult to design one that was of equal utility as the original. Instead I would make a Vader only EPT for this pack:

The Power of the Dark Side (or Alter) EPT cost 3. Vader only.
Action: you may alter a token of any one ship within Range 1 into ANY other token

TIE Adv. Test Pilot (or whatever EU pilot I don't know about) PS 6 once per combat phase, if a friendly ship within Range 1 scores a hit, you may change it to a critical hit.

(Maybe this could Maarek Stele more useful)

TIE ADV x2 Title. TIE Advanced only. Your upgrade bar gains the (system) icon. Modifications cost -1

SIENAR Refit (missle) Cost -2

Advanced Targeting Controls (system upgrade) cost 3
If your agility is greater than target's agility then roll +1 attack dice with your primary weapon.

(Picture Vader frantically turning knobs. This addresses the problem of the limited firepower of the Adv. with a system upgrade that won't be exploited by B-wings and Shuttles.)

I Have You Now! (EPT) cost 2. If your PS is greater than target's PS, you may change one of target's evade results to a focus

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Anything else or different you would like to see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking your ideas at face value, most of them sound plausible.
I don't see the Y being allowed Barrel Roll/Boost.
I think the Advanced Targeting Controls may be a pretty expensive upgrade, though I like it. It probably couldn't co-exist with the 'make-things cheaper' upgrades. you mention.

Altogether very well thought out ideas. Well, un-playtested ideas. Probability of them making such an expansion? No idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the "power of the Dark Side", but I wouldn't make it an EPT. Some sort of title would work I think.

And I wouldn't give the Gold Squadron Veteran title or the Grey Squadron title, since both of these are also generic pilot names.
Instead I would do something along these titles for the Y-Wing:

BTL-S3
Title. Y-Wing Only

Your upgrade bar gains the crew icon.

BTL-A4 Longprobe
Title. Y-Wing Only

Change the turret upgrade icon to a cannon icon, and add the System's upgrade Icon

I don't have any idea what these should cost.

The BTL-S3 was the variant with the copilot seat, favored by grey squadron. The "generic" BTL-A4 is the Y-Wing Variant we currently have. The Longprobe version of this A4 version was equipped for long range reconnaissance and got it's turret fixed facing forward, thus losing the 360 edge, which would mean switching to cannon ingame. It was also equipped with heavier payloads to better defend itself, so maybe adding another Proton Torpedo slot, though that seems excessive, and the HLC would fix this as well.
The systems upgrade represents the Longprobe's heavy sensor equipment.

And then I have a Crew member left:

Grey Squadron Copilot Turret Marksman
Rebels Only

When you shoot with a turret weapon, extend it's reach to 1-3

This would make the Y-Wing much deadlier, and maybe even OP, that's why it must be very high in points.

EDIT: changed the crew member after a minute of thinking about it, because we could get the Skipray Blastboat for the Empire in the future, giving them a ship with the turret upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jude007 wrote:
Taking your ideas at face value, most of them sound plausible.
I don't see the Y being allowed Barrel Roll/Boost.
I think the Advanced Targeting Controls may be a pretty expensive upgrade, though I like it. It probably couldn't co-exist with the 'make-things cheaper' upgrades. you mention.

Altogether very well thought out ideas. Well, un-playtested ideas. Probability of them making such an expansion? No idea.

Thanks for your input!

Currently any ship with expert handling can barrel roll and the new droid coming out let's you TL and boost so I don't think it too bad to allow it under the right conditions . Maybe a stress would be needed or up the cost.

Of course the costs are just a quick intuitive estimate and would be adjusted if these hypothetical cards were actually playtested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MOELANDER wrote:
I really like the "power of the Dark Side", but I wouldn't make it an EPT. Some sort of title would work I think.

And I wouldn't give the Gold Squadron Veteran title or the Grey Squadron title, since both of these are also generic pilot names.
Instead I would do something along these titles for the Y-Wing:

BTL-S3
Title. Y-Wing Only

Your upgrade bar gains the crew icon.

BTL-A4 Longprobe
Title. Y-Wing Only

Change the turret upgrade icon to a cannon icon, and add the System's upgrade Icon

I don't have any idea what these should cost.

The BTL-S3 was the variant with the copilot seat, favored by grey squadron. The "generic" BTL-A4 is the Y-Wing Variant we currently have. The Longprobe version of this A4 version was equipped for long range reconnaissance and got it's turret fixed facing forward, thus losing the 360 edge, which would mean switching to cannon ingame. It was also equipped with heavier payloads to better defend itself, so maybe adding another Proton Torpedo slot, though that seems excessive, and the HLC would fix this as well.
The systems upgrade represents the Longprobe's heavy sensor equipment.

And then I have a Crew member left:

Grey Squadron Copilot Turret Marksman
Rebels Only

When you shoot with a turret weapon, extend it's reach to 1-3

This would make the Y-Wing much deadlier, and maybe even OP, that's why it must be very high in points.

EDIT: changed the crew member after a minute of thinking about it, because we could get the Skipray Blastboat for the Empire in the future, giving them a ship with the turret upgrade.

I like your titles and am impressed by your knowledge of Y-wing variants! Turret marksman sounds good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why thank you!

I based them around the fact that Rebel Aces has the B-Wing/E title for the B-Wing, which is just a two-seated variant like the BTL-S3.

I am almost certain, that we will see something like this in the future for the Y-Wing.

There are actually other variants of the good ole Y, but those I mentioned are the only ones that still look like the model we have now.

Turret Marksman came to me as an idea to make the turrets more useful. FIrst I only thought about the rebels, but then I decided to open it for Imps, too. Because Skipray:

It has turretssssss!

And we love our generic crew members, don't we Wookie-Teamup of Chewbacca and Gunner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I may be clutching at straws (I would love to see a Y-Wing + TIE/TIEAdv repaint pack), but it seems to me the reprint schedule for the Wave 1 expansion packs might hold a clue. After all, it would make sense economically to include the model production for repaints in the same run as reprints of the original expansions, wouldn't it?

Imperial Aces followed on after a reprint of Wave 2, where they probably made enough Interceptors for both the Wave 2 upgrade and Aces. Rebel Aces is announced and scheduled to come later in the year after a Wave 3 reprint. Assuming the A-Wings were made with Wave 2, the B-Wings will be produced at the same time as the Wave 3 B-Wings.

And for the back end of the year there are reprints of the Y-Wing and Advanced from Wave 1 scheduled. Could they already be planning on making enough to reprint the Wave 1 expansions as well as release a new repaint pack? Or is it all coincidental and I'm full of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a serious train of thought if I ever saw ione. But I guess yu could be right. It makes uttr sense connecting the printing schedules. Buy in bulk, pay less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raw_bean wrote:
I may be clutching at straws (I would love to see a Y-Wing + TIE/TIEAdv repaint pack), but it seems to me the reprint schedule for the Wave 1 expansion packs might hold a clue. After all, it would make sense economically to include the model production for repaints in the same run as reprints of the original expansions, wouldn't it?

Imperial Aces followed on after a reprint of Wave 2, where they probably made enough Interceptors for both the Wave 2 upgrade and Aces. Rebel Aces is announced and scheduled to come later in the year after a Wave 3 reprint. Assuming the A-Wings were made with Wave 2, the B-Wings will be produced at the same time as the Wave 3 B-Wings.

And for the back end of the year there are reprints of the Y-Wing and Advanced from Wave 1 scheduled. Could they already be planning on making enough to reprint the Wave 1 expansions as well as release a new repaint pack? Or is it all coincidental and I'm full of it?
Sounds logical, let's hope that you're right. I'd love me some new stuff for my Y-Wings and Tie-Advanceds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
raw_bean wrote:

Sounds logical, let's hope that you're right. I'd love me some new stuff for my Y-Wings and Tie-Advanceds...

Yes! Especially the Advanced. The Y-Wing is actually a pretty decent craft all on it's own, but it lacks variety.

But the Advanced needs something to power it up!

BTW in canon, wasn't the Advance the prototype study for the Interceptor? Why then for the love of Jabba the Hutt didn't they give him the boost action from beginning? Sure we needed some new rules for Wave 2, but still I cannot see this version of the TIE Advanced as the Interceptor's predecessor. We need the Avenger, either as a title for the Advanced or as a seperate ship. Why as a title you ask? The design of the Avenger is actually somewhat debated, as it looked very different in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. And they are the source for this ship. Just look at these pictures:

This is the first version of the TIE Advanced "Avenger" from "TIE Fighter" the PC game. You see that the canopy looks like the regular TIE one.

But two games later in "X-Wing Alliance" the TIE "Avenger" looked like this (the lower part is a fanmade upgrade-model of the same fighter):

So yeah. Now the canopy became somewhat sat on by Jabba… meaning wider, giving the Pilot a better view.

So there really is no definite version of the TIE-Avenger, and FFG must choose between these two. I actually prefer XWA's version. But FFG could just drop all of this and make it "Just" a variant for the regular advanced, maybe with the boost action, or a systems upgrade.

I dunno, I just hope, that Vader doesn't get the ESB treatment regarding his fighterpilot days. The only time he was said to fly his TIE again was in the so and so novel Shadows of the Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.