Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Need help debasing Crawlers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone debased the Crawlers and could let me know what the simplest way is? I've had them in the freezer overnight, but that didn't help nearly as much as I was hoping it would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what sort of plastic theyre made from, but perhaps a hot water bath could help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I'm picking up my copy today... And the unfortunate likelihood is that you'll need a sharp xactoblade and a lot of patience. Depending on the glue, that bond is probably permanent or near enough as not to matter much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
Has anyone debased the Crawlers

Ew. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just depends how they are mounted ... I don't have my copy yet, but am planning on rebasing them and removing the tabs.

I will probably just cut the tabs with some wire cutters and then clean up the tabs with an Exacto/Razor blade. Doctor up the base with some putty (assuming there is a large slot for the tab) and then glue them down. Some heat/boiling water might be required to tweak the legs so they fit on the bases, but we'll just have to see.

Overall, I imagine it will be a pain in the ass, but probably worth it in the end. Will just have to see how things look when I get it in. Stupid UPS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ash tekka
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just wiggled them back and forth and the popped right off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattVid wrote:
It just depends how they are mounted ... I don't have my copy yet, but am planning on rebasing them and removing the tabs.

I will probably just cut the tabs with some wire cutters and then clean up the tabs with an Exacto/Razor blade. Doctor up the base with some putty (assuming there is a large slot for the tab) and then glue them down. Some heat/boiling water might be required to tweak the legs so they fit on the bases, but we'll just have to see.

Overall, I imagine it will be a pain in the ass, but probably worth it in the end. Will just have to see how things look when I get it in. Stupid UPS!

I don't have my copy either, but from the pics I've seen, it looks like the crawlers are going to be the hardest to rebase. They are sitting on large blocks of plastic to support them, since their legs don't fit on the base since the switch to round bases. Cutting a big block off of is going to be harder than snipping off a tab, and once you get rid of the block for support, you're gonna have to make sure you bend the legs in far enough to properly support the mini, and hope that the plastic doesn't bend back out over time.

I'm looking forward to seeing how other folks manage it. Hopefully someone can come up with a good method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only three of mine popped off their bases. For two of them, the bond was stronger than the plastic tab. The rest I snipped off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the glue is strong on this one.

I'm thinking a "90 degree sprue cutter" would be useful in cracking off those tabs, although I'm gonna wimp out and leave 'em there:

I'd like to see some painted arachnids before deciding. Mebbe they won't look too bad as tabletop if you primed in black or zenithal primed then painted to brown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Formula P3 snipper that I picked up somewhere along the line which worked well. I stuck some scraps in the gaps of the boss, archer, and mage bases. Waste not, want not. I'm hoping most of the second wave has full-width strips for the bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took 2 sets of pliers and bent both ends of the bases. Effectively destroying it but it did the job. Then I used snips to cut the tab off then a knife to clean the area up. I actually don't think I am going to rebase them. They stand fine on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, those crawlers are awful, they all but ruin an otherwise fine game. Filthy, disgusting things. I'm disturbed that you even bring them up as a topic for conversation. In all my days, I can't think of a more hopelessly outdated, annoying, ugly, worthless, unredeemable game piece.

Is that enough debasing for you? I can go on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Oh, those crawlers are awful, they all but ruin an otherwise fine game. Filthy, disgusting things. I'm disturbed that you even bring them up as a topic for conversation. In all my days, I can't think of a more hopelessly outdated, annoying, ugly, worthless, unredeemable game piece.

I hate to stop people who are on a roll, but that seems sufficient. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Piloka
msg tools
^ wiggle it just a little bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i just used torn masking tape to cover the holes. once primed and painted it is very hard to see where the tape is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Swingley
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:

I admit... I read the entire thread just to find a comment like yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on your needs it might not be totally necessary. Granted, I'm far from being a perfectionist, but when I was experimenting with mine, I just added glue to the post and built up a little "mound" under it -- it now looks like the crawler is in an action pose, emerging from the ground. Maybe.

To offer a little help, I was able to remove one from the base by using needle-nose pliers, but you really need to be gentle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dick matson
United States
los angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up cutting the bases off completely and replacing them. Trying to wiggle and press them out was too much work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.