Subject: Looking to print thick card dividers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both a color laser and an inkjet printer, both have manual feed, so I think I can get some fairly thick paper through. I also have a Silhouette automated paper cutter.

I'm trying to cut some divider cards to organize a card game, so I'm looking for something fairly thick/sturdy. Ideally a professionalish look. Should I print them out on glossy photo paper and then cut? Or thick cardstock? Any pointers to good paper choices online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard

Frisco
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For card dividers I usually just print out files from BGG on 110 lb card stock you can get pretty cheaply from Staples and then I would also recommend laminating the dividers to give them even more sturdiness and a nice finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IME Glossy Photo Paper has a surface which is more easily prone to damage than a matt finish (chipping, scratching and suchlike) and tends to crack along any fold lines. You could print on regular paper and glue to greyboard for thicker solutions than your printer could handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you not print directly onto the closest size of index card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, I'd:

- Print onto decent-quality label paper. Here in the UK I'd use Deca-Dry, 'cause I know they're good and they're cheaper than Avery. Don't know about the US, though. Cheap Staples labels are OK so long as you're sticking them down to a bright-white backing. If you use the laser at this point make sure you've set your printer to understand that it's printing on labels (and for mine, I have to do this on the printer itself; the driver setting is ignored).

- Spray the label paper with acrylic lacquer. This not only protects the printing from repeated handling, but it's a nicer finish than laminate and brings out the colour a bit more as well. At this point, if you prefer your inkjet's printing it's worth doing a test to make sure that the lacquer doesn't cause the inkjet ink to run - it may be better to spray it with a coat of artist's fixative first. Again, test that as well! I don't have this problem 'cause I use my laser for everything.

- Stick the label paper down on comic backer boards - this is a decent-quality cardboard which is buffered on one side to a bright white finish. If I were using decent blocking labels, I'd stick the label to the unbuffered side so I had a nice white back to my divider; if I were using cheap labels, I'd stick it to the buffered side to make sure the colours showed properly.

- Cut to size as the final step.

Now, that's more effort than you strictly-speaking have to go to, but it results in a nice professional-looking finished product, so... maybe it's worth it to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.