Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
What You Need to Know About Dark Money
http://billmoyers.com/2014/03/21/what-you-need-to-know-about...

If you look up “dark money” in Merriam-Webster, you won’t find a definition, but as of this week, their online unabridged dictionary includes a word that tells a big part of its story — “super PAC.”

It’s defined in part as “an independent PAC [political action committee] that can accept unlimited contributions from individuals and organizations (such as corporations and labor unions) and spend unlimited amounts in support of a candidate.”

I had a conversation with a progressive senator who is not a fan of super PACs and at the time did not have his own sort of individual super PAC…

I said, ‘What is this like when you’re going to go up against an opponent who does have a super PAC and does have a motivated one percenter in his corner?’

And he said, ‘It’s like going into a boxing ring. I’m wearing boxing gloves. And the other guy has an Uzi.

On a related note, looks like the Koch's and the Democrats are gearing up for an ongoing slugfest. I'm glad this will raise the profile of what's going on.

Harry Reid continues showdown with Kochs
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/harry-reid-koch-brothe...

Harry Reid is leading a concerted election-year strategy by Democrats to demonize the Koch brothers, starting on the Senate floor.

“The oil baron Koch brothers are very good at protecting and growing their prodigious future and fortune. There’s nothing un-American about that.

"But what is un-American is when shadowy billionaires pour unlimited money into our democracy to rig the system to benefit themselves and the wealthiest one percent,” Reid said.

I have some personal knowledge of the damage the Koch's have done. Their org called ALEC has totally kicked schools and teachers in the stomach in my old school district, as they try to smother public schools and bring in corporate-funding charter schools.

Douglas County, CO: Destructive School Board
http://dianeravitch.net/2013/03/09/douglas-county-co-destruc...

More about ALEC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Legislative_Exchange_C...

The people who promote:

- 'Stand Your Ground' laws
- Voter identification
- Immigration extremism
- Animal and Ecological Terrorism Act
- Fracking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
On a related note, looks like the Koch's and the Democrats are gearing up for an ongoing slugfest. I'm glad this will raise the profile of what's going on.

I'm not sure it will. It's the same debate that's been going on for a while, just a different venue. I guess I would ask: how many people who haven't heard of the Koch brothers pay attention to current events enough for it to enter their consciousness because of some not-at-the-forefront references on the floor of the senate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
It's more than just Reid in the Senate. For my OP I couldn't find the articles I'd seen recently this week, but here now are a couple along the same lines

Democratic PAC to spend millions targeting Kochs
http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2014/03/21/democratic-pac-to-...

Democrats Plan Ads in Challenge to Koch Brothers
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/us/politics/democrats-plan...

If our democracy is going to be hijacked by One-Percenters, then at least people should be aware of it. Hopefully this will raise awareness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They'd better be careful how they do it. I could see it coming off as petty and spiteful, in which case it would backfire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Election year political knife fighting, I guess.

And the Dem's undoubtedly have some One Percenters doing the same thing on their side - Soros, I think? You don't hear as much about them, at least in the "liberal" press I read (NPR, NYT, etc)

But raising awareness is good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gray
United States
Bayfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Election year political knife fighting, I guess.

And the Dem's undoubtedly have some One Percenters doing the same thing on their side - Soros, I think? You don't hear as much about them, at least in the "liberal" press I read (NPR, NYT, etc)

But raising awareness is good

Yep, for every Koch brothers, there is a Soros on the other side. Both sides have roughly equal warchests. But the dems are better about hypocritically whining about the Koch brothers while simultaneously taking PAC money from their side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to vote the same way I always vote. Every time the candidate does something to piss me off (like show a commerical on TV, or talk), I'll throw a dart at their picture. The candidate with the least amount of puncture marks in their picture gets my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Ahh yes, a senator attacking successful business owners from the Senate floor because he doesn't like their political activity. How horrible that someone would dare spend money they earned on causes which they feel are best for the country.

Charter schools are cheaper for communities and better for children. Sounds good to me.
Stand your ground laws are great.
Voter identification is obviously necessary unless of course you oppose integrity in elections like the Democrats do.
I'm not sure what "immigration extremism" means. Sounds really scary though.
Fracking - yes, God forbid we use our own energy resources. Much better to import it from other countries.

Why don't you mention the Koch's support for gay marriage and other Libertarian causes? Would that hurt the narrative that the Democrats are trying to put out here?

Best for our country? LOL.

Best for the Koch Brothers and other rich people? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- Voter identification
- Immigration extremism
- Fracking

1) What is wrong with stand your ground laws? I'm actually quite fond of them. Anybody who isn't in favor of blaming the victim should really be supporting this sort of thing.
2) Identifying who you are before voting? The horror!
3) I'm guessing this just means "want to enforce existing immigration laws"
4) Meh, I could probably be persuaded that this is a bad thing.
5) This is only a bad thing if companies aren't held responsible for the negative side affects that are caused, such as flammable water. So, again, meh. I could be persuaded that many oil companies find loopholes and essentially pillage communities.

Final outrage score 2/5 = 40% = F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gray
United States
Bayfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Quote:
- Voter identification
- Immigration extremism
- Fracking

1) What is wrong with stand your ground laws? I'm actually quite fond of them. Anybody who isn't in favor of blaming the victim should really be supporting this sort of thing.

Didn't you know that stand your ground laws allow people to shoot whoever they want without repercussion? You really should watch the news more, so you can be told what to think about laws that have nothing to do with the cases being discussed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.