Subject: Expansion ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
I have set up a geeklist for listing and discussing expansion ideas: Nations: Official list for expansion ideas

Please help, tell us what you would like to see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from extending the timeline to a Civilization equivalent of the near-future, I don't see any need. The obvious choice of more cultures seems rather dull as nations don't vary all much anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeding event cards and direct aggressions/assassinations/etc. is one of the things from TTA still missing in Nations. Not sure how you'd work them in or whether it would over complicate an already streamlined game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best idea for expansion: More civilizations available with different abilities.

Worst idea for expansion: Add more ages and simply make the game take even longer, while making early game economic development more important and early game point scoring less important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It's
badge
I've had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Worst idea for expansion: Add more ages and simply make the game take even longer, while making early game economic development more important and early game point scoring less important.

Here and in the Geeklist people seem to be down on extra ages because of game length so I thought I'd add my dissenting opinion. I would absolutely love to see an Age 5 going into the near future and maybe even an Age 6 into the far future. It would only make the game 25% longer to add one more age and I think it would give the game such an epic feel to go from antiquity to building jets or maybe eventually colonizing another planet (so awesome!!) To me, this would make each experience with the game more memorable.

All that being said, the trend overall seems to be toward shorter games and I understand that shorter games are easier to get to the table. So my ideal expansion: age 5 (and maybe 6?!?) to give the option for a more epic game and also extra civilizations and cards to add to the base 4 ages. You can still play the game to the end of Age 4 for a shorter game and so the expansion would add some variety to the base experience as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rutter

North East
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an additional age would be great, since it would need to be modular. So it would always be an option to play an extended session. Two questions/comments.

1. Is the current age four designed in such a way that it can handle a fifth age? Right now the second round in age four is about maximizing victory points. Are the buildings, wonders, and advisers scalable to the fifth age? Maybe there are some that would not play well with a fifth age and would need to be removed. Or the fifth age would come with some replacement for fourth age cards.

2. I would hope if a fifth age is added, there is a set of rules that allows players to jump directly into age two to keep game length the same. For example, adjustment to initial resources and recommendations for each nation as to what there upgraded buildings would be. That would be key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of dread the colour saturation on the Age 5 card backs. Or should that be Age II III?? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hect
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If they wanted to have the last age cover modern or post-modern eras, could they come out with an expansion using completely new cards for all 4 ages? Take the existing cards, and redistribute (and rebalance as necessary) across the first 3 ages. Then the "new" 4th age wouldn't add any additional game length.

In other words, keep the same number of cards/ages, just change the time period each of the 4 ages cover.

(disclaimer: I haven't actually played yet, and just ordered the game today.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Janning
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
- governments
- a new age
- more civilizations
- more functions for books (only pointsbringing is a littlebit boring)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brice Coullaut
France
Saint-Herblain
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extension
Need at least two expansion (and more if you can !!) :

- more sweet features without improve game lenght

- tricks to reduce the game lenght on 2 players game ( my wife love the game but generally that takes 2 hours T_T )

- we waiting for a 5 age !!!

I think for an age 0 too where players struggle to establish his own Nation with his own feature from Farmer/Hunter/craftman/trademan with a special draft cards system, in this mode, no need for more races, player are able to make his own race ready for the Age 1, it will be so nice. But of course it takes to create a mini-game within the game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.