Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my friend and I finally got back into Battles of Westeros but dont wanna give up on the core set yet even though we finished all the scenerios my question is does anyone have some basic tips or pointers for creating a balanced and fun match?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack merridew wrote:
So my friend and I finally got back into Battles of Westeros but dont wanna give up on the core set yet even though we finished all the scenerios my question is does anyone have some basic tips or pointers for creating a balanced and fun match?

I would try Skirmish with the Gambit cards. We have played this variant several times (about 5 I believe), and it's also a lot of fun:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86343/advanced-optional-ru...

I have only played Tournament Skirmish using all of the expansion Skirmish cards and units, I haven't played it with just the core/basic game, but I think it would be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Merridew
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you know what, we tried using a skirmish before and we were really disappointed in how the rules for the terrain hexs limit you from using the middle of the board, maybe ill have a skirmish but place the hexs myself

and thanks SFRR you were always helpful with questions when i used to play weekly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...you are quite welcome! BoW is still an awesome game, just wish I would get to play more often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack merridew wrote:
you know what, we tried using a skirmish before and we were really disappointed in how the rules for the terrain hexs limit you from using the middle of the board, maybe ill have a skirmish but place the hexs myself

and thanks SFRR you were always helpful with questions when i used to play weekly

Another guy came up with a points system, I haven't tried it (it's somewhere here in the threads), but it's probably worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I designed only one scenario so far, but I found that fun and balance was not really that difficult to achieve, if you've played enough of the existing scenarios.

Here are some things that came up when designing Go for Gold!:

- Decide on setting / event
- Objectives / Victory conditions: what does each faction need to achieve? Is there just one way to do that, or more than one? What can the other faction do to prevent that? Has to be done for both sides.
- Have a mental picture of scenario length and when you want certain events to happen, i.e. 5 rounds, first clashes in round 2, control points contested first at end of round 3 or start of round 4, etc.
- Decide on which units and commanders to use. If you need special abilities for your scenario idea, don't hesitate to modify existing units or even add new ones.
- Do a rough layout of the terrain and initial unit positions.
- Count moves: how long does it take to reach strategic points? Balance commanders and order tokens.
- Iterate until the scenario "works"
- Think about what could go wrong: can the scenario be "broken" by a reactivate all in round one? By a stray die roll? By clever use of pursue? By an unsurmountable choke point?
- Playtest one session.
- Make (hopefully minor) adjustments and playtest again. Or release to community and let others playtest.

Note however that I'm not too keen on perfect balance. In fact, I've never managed to win my own scenario as Stark, but it was always fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.