Subject: 'compact' three-player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Koen Lommelen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi everybody,
I'm going to travel trough Scandinavia in summer with two friends, so I'm looking for a recommendation for a (couple of) compact three-player game. It has to be compact and light, so we can easily transport it on our hikes. I'm not planning to walk trough Scandinavia with Caverna in a backpack...

We mainly play midweight eurogames, we prefer strategic decisions over luck.

Thanks a lot for the wild recommendations you're all going to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish!

San Juan

No Thanks! (fairly light, though)

Slightly larger, but can be compacted: Santiago de Cuba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Revolution! is a great game and takes up very little room if you leave the box at home.

Love Letter, it's only 12 cards and a few small cubes (which could be left behind if you can use cubes/markers from another game you're also carrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd recommend looking at Decktet, and printing out rules of the games you can play.

http://www.decktet.com/games.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is my favorite 3-player game, and comes in a small little box.

Innovation has a lot of variety and depth in it for a small deck of cards. I think it's good with 3, even if that's not it's absolute ideal player-count.

Plus, you can get plenty of mileage out of a simple deck of standard playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chlopek
United States
Columbus
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trieste
Theres no dice luck but there is card draw. If that kind of luck doesn't bother you this is a great game that will fit in a deck box easily and is made for exactly three players. I'd consider this pretty light though.

Hanabi
Great co-op game that is super tiny and can be very strategic. There is some luck in the card draw but since it is a coop, I'm not sure if that is as big an issue.

Lagoon: Land of Druids
The retail version of this game isn't available yet but this has almost no luck and is quite the brain burner. With the print and play files, this is easily a highly portable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Asselman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Outside scope of BGG: This is my favorite cinema!
badge
Outside scope of BGG: This is my favorite cinema!
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet, but I recently bought it as a prize for my TableTop Day event: Haggis.
And if you're a bit too tired for strategy games at the end of your walking day, Zombie Dice should be easy enough to carry around; just bring the dice, not the dice cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Lommelen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
I've watched some reviews of the games you all suggested, up until now the following games are on my shortlist:
- San Juan
- Love letter
- Innovation
- Trieste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Big +1 to Revolution!

Came here to add it but pleased to see it's already there. Very portable. Just dump the box and the rest will fit in a a4 wee 'plastic folder' and two baggies.

It can be a bit nasty but provided you all take it in the right spirit I strongly recommend it. Alhambra is also hugely portable, provide you have a bit of table space. Dump the board in favour of scoring on paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are feeling crafty you can try Djinn's Game. It's very compact and portable, plays quickly, and is for exactly three players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Haggis
Big Fat +1 Decktet
+1 Love Letter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Boulo
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Road to Canterbury
Haggis
King of Siam
Glen More

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bottle Imp hands down. It is a phenomenal card game that puts a diabolical spin on trick taking games. Lots of screwage and a layer of depth that slowly reveals itself over time. Race for the Galaxy is also great if you can get past the learning curve of the iconography.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight Minute Empire being a bit greater that a simple card game it have some nice choices too make during the gamer and still small
Bohnanza
Monopoly Deal
Coloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northants.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg

Forget the box.

Ditch the board too, you can score the V.P.s by pen and paper instead and place the cards on any flat surface in the same layout as they'd be on the board.

You just need the cards, the first player markers and the money....in fact, you don't even need the money, you could keep a pen and paper tally of this just like your V.P.'s.

Would be incredibly light and compact and offer a good gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Trieste
Myth: Pantheons is excellent with 3 player, but there are A LOT of tokens.
Condottiere you'll get better at it with repeated plays.
Quantum packs down very small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at nestorgames assortment.

For three players I´d suggest Hippos & Crocodiles + Buffalos, Minoa, RED and last but not least my Topology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
Race for the Galaxy. As compact as a deck 110 cards and few chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf: you barely need anything, just upto 13 pieces of paper (of course the actual tiles/cards are nicer) and the free app on your phone/tablet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Musta Ninja
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Welcome to scandinavia

+1 Race for the Galaxy

Its very similar to San Juan but little more complex and have more learning curve. But its also quote deep and have good replayability. I used to carry it with me when we were hiking and on rainy days we played it in the tent.

If you leave the box its just a deck of cards with small victory points tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Lommelen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks a lot to everybody for these additional suggestions. Haven't had time to check them all, but I hope I can watch some reviews of these games tonight, to make a selection!
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblins vs Zombies. Compact and playable with 1-3 Players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice / Martian Dice / Cthulhu Dice

Guillotine

Hanabi

Magic: The Gathering

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Talat (Not as compact as the others - unless you take the components out of the box to store them in some other way - but deserves to be mentioned as it is especially for three players and pure strategy)

Have a nice and safe trip !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Win, Lose, or Banana!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Haggis (though I've not played it 3 player)
+1 for Race for the Galaxy - though make sure you play it a few times before you go so you don't need to take the rule book or the 'cheat sheets'. If you & your friends like it then you could easily play only this.

I'm not totally convinced by Citadels as a 3 player game, it's possible to work out what roles other people have taken. I own it but personally wouldn't recommend it as 1 of 2 games to take on a trip.

With a standard deck Cribbage can be played 3 player (I've only played it 2 or 4 player but both are fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.