Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok...I have a very large collection of Wings of War planes already, and was wondering if I could "merge" my mini's with this game? suppose I buy 2 games, and place the boards together to form a much larger playing map...any reason it wouldn't work?

if the Blue Max rules are even easier, I'd be happy to use them instead...anyone who has this latest edition AND WoW, could you post here how you've used them both to enhance the game?

thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
ok...I have a very large collection of Wings of War planes already, and was wondering if I could "merge" my mini's with this game? suppose I buy 2 games, and place the boards together to form a much larger playing map...any reason it wouldn't work?

if the Blue Max rules are even easier, I'd be happy to use them instead...anyone who has this latest edition AND WoW, could you post here how you've used them both to enhance the game?

thanks...

Easier than Wings of war? I don't think that's possible :)

Blue max is pretty light but there is more detail. You can have damage on certain parts of the plane. To me the maneuver choices seem more "real".

I think you could easily use the planes, but I am not sure if the bases would fit on the hex... maybe if you took the plane off the base and placed it on the board directly it would be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone know the hex size (in inches) on the new game board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wasson
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexes are about 2 inches across the flats. Sort of small for 1/144 minis. The hex board I use for 1/144 minis has hexes 4 inches across the flats. Even at 4 inches, it can be a little crowded.

John, weren't you one of the folks wanting to take a peek at the rules for the 2014 edition of Blue Max? Send me a private message and I can probably help you out. (or anyone else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

thanks...

I'll be getting my new 4th edition of Blue Max in the next few days, but I have played all the earlier editions of Blue Max and Wings of War many times. That being said, if I was given the choice, I would prefer to play Blue Max over Wings of War any day of the week.

I wouldn't say that Blue Max is an easier or harder game than Wings of War, just different. I would say both games are simple games to play.

As for miniatures, you can use any scale of model for Blue Max. I've seen players use anything from 1:300 to 1:48 scale aircraft models for their games. The two most popular scales seem to be 1:144 and 1:72. In fact, I know lots of gamers who buy the Wings of War miniatures, which are 1:144, for Blue Max and other games.

Below is a game of Blue Max at my local gaming club using 1:72 scale aircraft models.

Don't worry about the hex size, because if the hexes on the board are a bit small for your tastes, you can always make your own cloth hex map - or buy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a reference, of the planes included in Blue Max these are the one in our ranges. Some difference in weaponary between the models and Blue Max's cards are noted (in BM all planes of the same model have the same weapons, while in WoW and WGF weaponary can vary from each individual plane to the other).

- Fokker Dr.I: available both as Wings of War: Miniatures and in Wings of Glory: WW1 Airplane Packs, including two of the color schemes in Blue Max, Manfred von Richthofen and Lothar von Richthofen.
- Albatross D.III: available as Wings of War: Miniatures.
- Halberstadt CL.II: available in Wings of Glory: WW1 Airplane Packs - including one of the color schemes in Blue Max, Niemann/Kolodzicj's striped one (but we did it red and yellow and not yellow/green as in Blue Max). We gave all of them 1 front machinegun, not 2 as in Blue Max.
- Sopwith Triplane: available in Wings of Glory: WW1 Airplane Packs - including two of the color schemes in Blue Max, Raymond Collishaw (but we gave him two machineguns instead than one as in Blue Max) and Robert Alexander Little.
- Nieuport 24: not in our range, but we have the almost equivalent Ni.17/23 (see below).
- Bristol F.2B: available in Wings of Glory: WW1 Airplane Packs (with 3 different armaments: 1 frontal/1 rear, 2 frontal/1 rear, 1 frontal/2 rear).

As far as the promo cards are concerned, they include a Nieuport 24 and two Nieuport 17. Wings of War: Miniatures feature three Nieuport 17/23, including one of the color schemes provided in Blue Max: Thenault/Lufbery's machine (but we gave it two machineguns instead than one as in Blue Max).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Blue Max: World War I Air Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next Wings of Glory series will include Rickenbacker's Nieuport 28.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of Wings of Glory miniatures for planes included in this edition of Blue Max (Collishaw's Sopwith Triplane and Niemann & Kolodzicj's Halberstadt Cl.II).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rickenbacker's Nieuport 28 presented at Essen:

Now for sale:

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/miniatures/win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.