Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Malkowski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing solo with Friday and the Dog. I assigned Friday and the Dog to explore north of the beach. The Exploration Deck had the "?" marker on it from a previous card. I know that Friday takes a wound in place of taking an Adventure.

My question is: should I remove the "?" marker on the Exploration Deck after assigning the wound or does the "?" remain on top of the deck. The rules seem to indicate that it should be removed but since the dice were not actually rolled, it is difficult to determine how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 12 of the most current ruleset (the German Pegasus edition, pg. 12) clearly states that the token is removed after it triggers. As Friday triggers the ? token in your example, it is indeed removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it that it is removed. Since the effect was triggered by Friday taking a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keithm wrote:
I assigned Friday and the Dog to explore north of the beach.
Side note: With the Z-Man rules, you cannot do this: the Dog can only be used with a Player pawn, and Friday is not a Player…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Statarius

Citrus Heights
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
Side note: With the Z-Man rules, you cannot do this: the Dog can only be used with a Player pawn, and Friday is not a Player…

Do we think this is a sincere distinction, or a lack of clarity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
I wish this could be pinned somehow:

maho wrote:
I searched and found!

Quoted from another thread.
So it was Lukasz who gave the official answer:

piechu wrote:
I hope this will clarify Friday once and for all:

As it written in the rules:
"He can be assigned to take each type of Action:
- as a single pawn
- as a pawn taking the Action with another additional pawn (for example Map)
- as an additional pawn along with a player's pawn."

so Friday can e.g. Explore with a Map or Hunt with a Dog/Shield

This is official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Statarius wrote:
lebigot wrote:

It's official in the Z-Man rules (p. 14):
Quote:
Friday is not a player

The Dog part of the rules (p. 14) reads:
Quote:
The Dog can only be used for supporting other player’s pawns.

So, the Z-Man rules indeed say that Friday cannot go alone with the Dog. As maho pointed out, Lukasz's official ruling says the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
Statarius wrote:
lebigot wrote:

It's official in the Z-Man rules (p. 20):
Quote:
Friday is not a player

The Dog part of the rules (p. 20) reads:
Quote:

So, the Z-Man rules indeed say that Friday cannot go alone with the Dog. As maho pointed out, Lukasz's official ruling says the opposite.

You are picking and choosing only the quotes that supports your position while leaving out the relevant context. The passage that says Friday is not a player is making that distinction in the context of explaining why he doesn't take damage from unfulfilled demand or other effects that affect "all players".

The part that explains how you can use his pawn makes it perfectly clear that it has most of the functionality of a single player pawn. He can do things by himself, he can be supported by additional pawns (such as hunting or exploring with the Dog), or he can support a player's action. The one thing he can't do is BE supported by a player pawn. If one or more players take an action with him, a player must be the one taking the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
You are picking and choosing only the quotes that supports your position while leaving out the relevant context. The passage that says Friday is not a player is making that distinction in the context of explaining why he doesn't take damage from unfulfilled demand or other effects that affect "all players".
Many players have been, and will be mislead by the rule points I quoted—I was definitely not the first to have noticed them, so I did not "pick and choose only the quotes that support my position", this is an insulting and unnecessary remark.

It is useful to quote the rules, and to point out where they have to be taken with a grain of salt, as a reference, so that fewer questions crop up later (it is good to remember that Friday can take the Dog, but it is not nice to later be in doubt when re-reading rules that lead explicitly to conclude the opposite).

I am happy that you find everything perfectly clear. I believe that it is good to discuss them for those who, like me, don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
lebigot wrote:
.....(it is good to remember that Friday can take the Dog, but it is not nice to later be in doubt when re-reading rules that lead explicitly to conclude the opposite).

That can´t be denied.
I love this game to death, but during the first couple of weeks it was exactly this issue which constantly bugged me, until I houseruled it.
Fortunately, Lukasz answer confirmed my houserule!
It´s these little, but then again huge questions which are game-changing, when understood/played wrong.

That´s why I took the time to dig out Lukasz answer, to wipe out all the doubts about Friday.
(and I really wish that this and some other essentials could be pinned somewhere, because a lot of gamers miss this)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Statarius

Citrus Heights
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
Statarius wrote:
lebigot wrote:

It's official in the Z-Man rules (p. 14):
Quote:
Friday is not a player

The Dog part of the rules (p. 14) reads:
Quote:

Perhaps it *is* a lack of clarity, and if so it's hardly the first.

At this point the rules have become, more or less, a template that Mr. Trzewiczek and his agents have had to build on through the FAQs and forums such as this, and each of us then decides to follow the rules verbatim or make the corrections. Certainly no one can blame those of us who stay true to what's been published, but given the varied history of those publications can we really blame people for staying a course to discern the game's optimal parameters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.