Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

is such a kind of situation possible: I cannot move + the duke is surrunded and based on that he can`t recruit.

"To pass" is not listed as an option in Duke.

So how is this situation be treated?!

Regards
Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A player can never pass; he either moves a Troop Tile, places a new one, or uses an En- hanced Ability every turn.

By cannot move, do you mean you are not able to move without a piece being captured or that it if physically impossible for any of your pieces to move to another space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
Quote:
A player can never pass; he either moves a Troop Tile, places a new one, or uses an En- hanced Ability every turn.

By cannot move, do you mean you are not able to move without a piece being captured or that it if physically impossible for any of your pieces to move to another space?

The first one: No piece is able to move and the duke is not allowed, since he would come into danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd have to move the Duke into danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of how this could actually happen. Hypothetically I suppose it's possible but practically I doubt it would ever. But if you can't move you would have to pass. You can't move your duke into danger and if o other piece can move then you just don't move and your opponent keeps taking pieces or maneuvering until he checkmates your Duke. Butits not a situation you need to worry about coing up in a game because it won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
I can't think of how this could actually happen. Hypothetically I suppose it's possible but practically I doubt it would ever.

Ok...think about a situation: Your own duke is in the corner of the board and surrounded by 2 opponent figures. The duke could capture 1 enemy piece, but unfortunately this piece is protected by another piece, meaning: if the duke would capture that piece he would put himself in a situation, in which he would directly being captured.....based on that he is not allowed to do his move.

So what do you do?!

The actual situation is:
1) the duke is actual not in the situation of being capured
2) the duke cannot recruit, since every place beside him is blocked by enemy pieces
3) he is not allowed to move, since he would put himself into danger

Now it`s your turn.....what do you do?!

Beside the fact, the you will loose anyway....you have to give up, since there is no legal move possible...correct?!

Regards
Mario

P.S. yes, I know, it`s a theoretical situation, but it could happen.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that if it's your turn and you can't move, given the kind of situation you're in, then you are forced to resign.

Such an outcome compares similarly to Chess where the King is the only piece that can move, but all of its moves are into squares guarded by opponent pieces. I know the Duke *isn't* Chess, but I'm comfortable with this parallel because these games are often compared to each other due to their elegance and simple rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roberthahn wrote:
I would say that if it's your turn and you can't move, given the kind of situation you're in, then you are forced to resign.

Such an outcome compares similarly to Chess where the King is the only piece that can move, but all of its moves are into squares guarded by opponent pieces. I know the Duke *isn't* Chess, but I'm comfortable with this parallel because these games are often compared to each other due to their elegance and simple rules.

I would treat it the same way. Thanks for the feedback.

Another situation would be that the Duke is not in line of sight with an opponents piece, since a unit of his own is standing directly in this line of sight and based on that blocking the line of sight of Duke versus enemy figure. The only possible move (at what circumstances ever) would lead to that the unit of his (=Duke) own has to move away...e.g. the own duke is blocked by opponents and can`t move and the only object, that could be moved is the one blocking the line of sight with an opponents piece.

So I would treat it the same way: "Giving up" instead of "passing", since passing is not mentioned in the rules and thus not an option.

...which is in the end also my question: Would you give up or could you just pass because of not able to do a "legal" move.

Regards
Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes in that case I would say it's a forced resign. In Chess if that happened it's actually a stalemate if the King isn't in check and has no available places to move. But there are no stalemate conditions in The Duke so it's a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:
This came up in the tournament at GenCon. If you cannot draw (or place a drawn tile) and you cannot make a move, you lose.

This happened at least once at the tournament and I've seen it happen in person play. One player gets down to just their duke and they duke gets trapped but the other player isn't able to capture. It's actually not that difficult of a situation to cause.

Great! That`s exactly what I wanted to know. Many thanks.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.