Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*static. Crackling over the radio is heard before a soft yet strong feminine voice speaks.*

"Agent EuroGamerGirl to Galaxy Defender HQ. The target has arrived. Permission to approach and unbox. Over."

"Permission granted, Alpha Agent! Converge with caution and don't let the contents get the better of you."

"Understood! We will report back when the mission is completed. Over and out!"

Alpha Agent Log 031814. Mission One: Our First Encounter.
Galaxy Defenders is the first miniatures game we’ve ever backed on Kickstarter. We’re not into miniatures, but the setting of this game was too good to pass up because it’s basically X-Com the Board Game and my husband absolutely loves X-Com and we’re both co-op fans. So we went full into the game, supporting to get almost everything.

However, to start off learning the game, we stuck to the basics. After spending about an hour and half reading all the rules (we really do read the whole rulebook for every game), we started Mission One Close Encounters. I chose Agent Iridium, the sniper, because I love ranged characters. My husband chose Agent Titanium, the hulk, because he loves big tank characters.

The goal of Close Encounters is to destroy all 4 teleport points within 10 rounds. Setting up the board took a little bit of time due to unfamiliarity with all the pieces, so it took about a half hour to set up. But everything is labeled well, especially when it comes to the various cards.

Two aliens start on the board, one closer to the agents than the other so we went towards the closer alien, going along the bottom of the map so we could encounter a teleport point. We had a pretty easy time of defeating the first few aliens and destroying two of the teleport points. Then we had to make our way up on the map to the other ones.

The third teleport point was also not difficult and we kept the alien numbers under control. However, when we converged on the fourth point, there was a huge burst in alien signals. And since we were within line of sight of the teleport point, they came out in full force. This slowed us down, which then gave time for the boss to show up, which was very powerful comparatively and also had semi control over other aliens.

I definitely made a mistake when I chose to use my back-up weapon rather than my main weapon and was unable to kill an alien at a critical point. So we got pummeled and almost down to no life until we finally had some good rolls and started cutting down the aliens. It was at this point I really wish we had gotten some healing devices.

However, it delayed us enough that when the game ended at the beginning of the 11th round, we still had one teleport point left so we only got a partial success. But at least neither of us died.

Overall, we really enjoyed the game and are very happy we got it. There is a definite level of tension throughout the game. Even with it being relatively easy in the beginning, we never let our guard down and made sure to collaborate on decisions.

There are definitely some tricky rules and just a lot of rules to remember. We had some issues with adjacency. I thought you had to be in the next hex while my husband insisted that as long as you were in the same area, you were adjacent. That made sense so we went with his understanding of the rule. But over time, it should get easier.

Since we played this as a one-shot, we leveled up several times during the mission and we really enjoy how this works. And we like these two characters enough that we’re planning to run them through the campaign.

End Log.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice session report!
Very thematic!!

SilvaShado wrote:
We had some issues with adjacency. I thought you had to be in the next hex while my husband insisted that as long as you were in the same area, you were adjacent. That made sense so we went with his understanding of the rule.

So, your understanding was correct, you need to be on the next hex and not in the same area.
There's an example on the rulebook (page 8) about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Bernard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report! sounds like a good time was had.

Re Adjacency: Two Hexes sharing a common border are adjacent, Areas are not considered. An adjacent hex is at Range "0". IMPORTANT: Hexes separated by a blocked hex side (5.1) are NOT adjacent.

Most melee attack can only be conducted at Range "0". A Ranged attack conducted at Range "0" is still a Ranged attack.

An Agent that starts his turn or ends his movement adjacent (Range "0") to an alien = Engaged (7.5.4) and must Evade (7.4.5) to move.

See page 8 diagram: If in same Area, but not adjacent (range "0"), then Range = "1".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like such fun. I love x com too and had wondered the same thing about this game. How is the quality of the components?

Have you tried Level 7: Omega Protocol and how it compares to Galaxy Defenders? I picked up Level 7 and just haven't played it yet. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report, Sarah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our first official play. Same mission. We got 3 of the 4 TP spots too, but got flooded with aliens, and just chose to take the partial victory.

Which brings me to my question also: Can you say "We take partial victory, evac us!", or do you have to trudge through all 11 rounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So to attack someone with melee, you need to be hex-by-hex? Can the side-by-side hexes be separated by area lines? I didn't realize that ranged weapons used in the same area, but not adjacent were considered 1 area. I think we may not have done range correctly then as we counted the areas between the player & alien, not the areas they were in when determining if someone was in range. I'll check out those pages and sections before we play again.

JT - we have not played Level 7 so we don't know how it compares. The quality of the components is very good. Thick cardboard, cards of good quality and the miniatures look great. We don't have any complaints.

Purple - I think you have to play through to the beginning of the 11th round to even get a partial success since you could die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
jt4jc wrote:
It sounds like such fun. I love x com too and had wondered the same thing about this game. How is the quality of the components?

The quality of the components is top notch - minis, cards, thick cardboard - everything is of very good quality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Bernard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Melee attacks are normally conducted at range = "0" (adjacent), the melee weapon will indicate the range. The hexes can be bordered by an area line. Remember that hexes separated by a Blocked Hexside are not adjacent. Check out page 8 for range diagram - a target in the same area as the attacker (but not adjacent to the attacker) OR an adjacent area (again, not adjacent to the attacker) are both at Range = 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Corey! I'm definitely thinking about it.

Thanks Chas. I'll check that out, though I thought we had read that and it hadn't made it any clearer. I probably need to look for examples of this from some of the gameplay videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Thanks Corey! I'm definitely thinking about it.

Thanks Chas. I'll check that out, though I thought we had read that and it hadn't made it any clearer. I probably need to look for examples of this from some of the gameplay videos.

The only way you can get range 0 is by being adjacent. And anytime you are adjacent you are range 0. Remember that blocking terrain (such as walls) block adjacency. You can be in two different areas, but still adjacent.

If you are not physically adjacent then the minimum range you can be is 1. You can be in the same area, but not adjacent. Range 1 includes the area you are in as well as any adjacent areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Hero Guy! It looks like we were also shooting farther than we should have been. I was counting range too high in that I counted the number of areas between the targets. So range 1 was when you had a complete area between two targets, but that's not accurate. Range 1 is either inside the same area and not adjacent or in the next area. The good news is I don't think that really change things much. We hardly used melee and most of the shooting occurred closer than the farther away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.