Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last 2 games have been won by using the industry track, number 1 engines and lots of engineers. In one game 84 points were scored by using both industry workers to move over the number 1 train/factory in a single round.
In the second game 4 number 1 factories were played and again both industry markers were continually moved over to score around 75 points for a number of turns.

The rest of us were lapped even though we felt like we were playing a strong game.

Getting engineers is always a good thing, but now our thoughts are on holding back the number 1 trains so that they cannot be scooped up for some serious amount of points.

Anyone else had played this strategy?

Thanks
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
What score did the winner achieve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yup we do that as well... as in hold on to Train 1 as long as we can... however this requires everyone to be aware of what Train / Factory 1 can do....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
count-zero wrote:
we we were playing a strong game.

Are you sure?

Quote:
Getting engineers is always a good thing

Are you sure?

Groupthink is a real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Eric, we need to know what scores the winner achieved before we can really comment. In a four player game, someone executing a Trans-Siberian strategy without a lot of opposition can score ~450 points. If the winner scored more than that then it is a seriously good strategy and people need to spend some time countering it.

There have been many reports of people like you saying that they've been beaten badly by this strategy. But most have failed to note how many points the winner had scored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Besides what you guys said about holding on to #1 trains as long as possible and that Engineers are NOT all its HYPE to be, I don't think just by scores, you can assume a certain strategy is strong. The quality of opponents are very important. If it's a four player game and players are aware of each other's strategy and competes in the same route or for the action spaces, the scores will be lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamdannywu wrote:
I don't think just by scores, you can assume a certain strategy is strong. The quality of opponents are very important.

I agree. But an absolute score is better than a relative score. "I got beat 500 to 400" is much more useful information than "I got lapped".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winner won with around 450 points, the rest of us were trailing at around 380. The fact that he scored 200+ points in the last 2 rounds was impressive yet soul destroying.

We played another game where only one person used the industry track. It really restricted the number of build train/factory actions that took place. I think the game ended with us only on level 6 trains. That was a harsh lesson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.