Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All!

I'm interested in BattleLore 2nd edition, but my game group strongly favors games that are shorter. I can get a game that is about 1 hr to the table (although they prefer playing a couple 30 min / 45 min games), but 90 min would be a stretch for my primary game group.

I live in the middle of nowhere so finding another group is hard.

Can Battlelore be played in 1 hour?

Are there some scenarios that take less time?

Would it be possible to make scenarios that take less time?

For example: a set of "skirmishes" instead of "battles". Cut the board down to 2 sections. Write up some scenario cards for 2 sections instead of 3. Modify rules on cards or take out any 3 section cards.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The setup takes a while, but is now a sort of "mini-game" unto itself that's actually quite fun.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to get a game in under an hour the first few times. After you had the system down and kept table-talk to a minimum, I'd say you could easily get through a complete game (with setup) in an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do the prep work (scenario selection, army mustering, board setup) then its easily playable in under an hour. Its also a two player game, though. By "game group" you seem to imply more than you plus one so I don't imagine it playing well with more than two...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean 60 minutes from opening the box to closing the box (setup, playing, tear down) - this game cannot realistically be completed in that time.

I think the *game* part of the game - not setup - takes about an hour, realistically. Setup, probably 15-30 minutes, depending on your focus to the task and your level of A/P.

I think 90 minutes is a realistic set-up, play, tear down time.

Your first couple games might take 120 minutes for rules look-ups, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games rarely take an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games rarely take more than an hour. I am surprised at the answers, especially as I would consider myself a 'slow' player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game can easily be played in an hour...but I personally wouldn't have fun doing that. Our games usually take around 2 hours. But we are a couple old wargamers, who painstakingly weigh and balance every decision and think a couple turns ahead, mentally playing out possible scenarios every move may trigger as the game advances. We REALLY get into the experience of being the general of a fantasy army, where each decision may be the keystone to winning or losing the war.

I'm sure some people are faster players and get the same experience in less time...I'm sure other people just play by the turn, just doing what seems good at that moment, thinking of the experience as a turn based game (with emphasis on the "game"), rather than orchestrating a battle.

Either way, BL is a 2 player game...I say screw the group thing. Use it when you invite over a single friend, or when game night is cancelled but you and another still feel like playing. You may be able to play it in under an hour, but I say savor the experience rather than rush it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first couple of times it'll be longer, but once both players know what they're doing 60minutes is possible. What I'm planning to do is to "play" the pre-game (Scenario selection, army mustering and troop placement) over the internet and then we can just setup the board and go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
in some rare cases your plays will be under 1 hour, try Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.