Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So right now I am in a position to buy two games. One of those games is Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, and that is going to happen shortly after posting this. The other game would be Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization , but it is not available on Amazon yet . The other two games up for consideration are in the title of this post. I know they're both VERY different, which is what makes this such a hard decision! Which should I pick?

As a side note, I also considered getting Dominion: Prosperity, but if I'm going to get a game, gosh darn it I'm getting a new game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both games, but Terra Mystica is better. It's a top-flight no-luck Euro, with an interesting theme, and has plenty of replayability. MoV is a fun game, too, but it is a bit dated. I have fun playing it, and play it now and then, but if I had to pick one or the other, TM would be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both TM and MoV.
Both are great games!
I'd go for TM too. There are many reasons for that:

MoV does not work very well with 4 players. With more than 3, all the excitement is replaced by lots and lots of downtime. If you intend to play this with more than 3, I wouldn't recommend.

MoV is very luck based. I usually prefer games with a much lower luck factor.

MoV length makes it very difficult to be brought to the table.

The only thing you should be aware about TM, is that it is a very heavy game. Not good at all for new players nor non-gamers. It is very deep and difficult, despite it's rules being quite simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon my own consideration, I am actually leaning closer to MoV. I actually tried Terra Mystica at Gen Con last year, and it was a pretty good game... but I have to keep in mind a couple of things. The main one is that 99% of my gaming is with just my dad. That means that 2 player functionality is important. It also means that I have to think about what he likes. I'm afraid that a heavy, fantasy-themed euro would have less appeal than a sci-fi themed economic adventure game to a huge, giant, massive Star Trek fan(atic).

I probably should have put this in my original post, but oh well.

Does this change anything?
(I am going to make the purchase before the day is out, preferably).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous two posts. It basically depends on your normal number of players. MoV plays best with 2 or 3. TM is much better at the 3+ range. And TM is a MUCH more difficult game to "master" (i.e., feel like you know what you are doing with your strategy). MoV does have a longer play-time as well.

Overall, I prefer TM... but I will play MoV more often (because my normal group is just me and my wife).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
 I'm afraid that a heavy, fantasy-themed euro would have less appeal than a sci-fi themed economic adventure game to a huge, giant, massive Star Trek fan(atic).

The quote above is the most important piece of information you gave. It really seems TM is not for you. You may love it, but what's the point of having a game you cannot play?

MoV works very well with 2!
Also, you can either play the classic, which is more economic and strategic,or the much more chaotic standard version, which has much more emphasize on the adventure aspect.

There may be much better space themed games out there, but this one really gives you the feeling of travelling through space and meeting new races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
Upon my own consideration, I am actually leaning closer to MoV. I actually tried Terra Mystica at Gen Con last year, and it was a pretty good game... but I have to keep in mind a couple of things. The main one is that 99% of my gaming is with just my dad....

I probably should have put this in my original post, but oh well.

Does this change anything?

In this case, yes, it does change. MoV sounds like a better choice. My daughter and I play it together occassionally, and have a good time. We've got it down to about 45-50 minutes for a 2P game. It's perfect at that length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost forgot: MoV can be played solo!
It's quite good as a solo game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.