United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Object
As in the Basic and Advanced versions of the CCG, the object of the game is to be the first player to identify your opponent's X-File. Unlike the CCG rules, players will share decks and agents.

Golden Rule
Unless otherwise noted, the Advanced game rules apply to this variant. Each player will have their own Resource Pool and Conspiracy Pool.

Deck Construction
This Single Deck Variant uses the following decks. Notes in parentheses indicate how I have constructed these decks for my personal copy of the variant.

Agent deck: This contains all the agents that players will have access to during the game. (Constructed with one copy of each named agent from v1)
Site deck: This contains all the sites that players will be able to investigate during the game. (Constructed with one copy of each site from v1)
Resource deck: This contains Equipment, Witness, and Event cards with a Resource cost. (Constructed with one copy of each applicable card from v1)
Resource combat deck: This contains Combat cards used by Agents. (Constructed with 3x Handcuff, 3x First Aid, 3x Run For It, 1x Hit And Run, and 1x of each purple-cost Combat card from v1 other than Gum Jammed)
Conspiracy deck: This contains Bluffs, Adversaries, and Event cards with a Conspiracy cost. (Constructed with one copy of each applicable card from v1)
Conspiracy combat deck: This contains Combat cards used by Adversaries. (Constructed with 1x of each Combat card from v1 with a Conspiracy or purple cost)

Modifications to Game Setup
All decks are shuffled except the Agent deck. Each player draws a Resource hand of five cards, and a Conspiracy hand of five cards. A number of Site cards are dealt face-up to the middle of the table equal to the number of players plus one.
The Bureau, Field, and Hospital areas are shared among all players.

Modifications to Turn Sequence
Briefing Phase
At the start of Briefing Phase, the Investigating (Active) Player selects up to 20 RP worth of agents to serve as his team. These agents can come from the Agent deck or any of the board areas (Bureau, Field, or Hospital). Agents selected from the Agent deck enter play at the Bureau. There are no restrictions on which Agents a player may select; all players may select the same teams from turn to turn, or create new teams on each turn.
The Active Player draws a "free" card from the Resource deck and a "free" card from the Conspiracy deck.
When paying to draw cards, the Active Player may only draw from the Resource deck and each other player may only draw from the Conspiracy deck.

Healing Phase
All Agents in the Hospital recover Health, even if they were not selected as part of the Active Player's team.

Requisition Phase
There are no changes to how this phase works, but remember that Equipment cards attached to an Agent are usable by any player who recruits that Agent for a team.

Deployment Phase
No changes

Case Assignment Phase
If there are fewer Site cards in play than the number of players plus one, additional Site cards are dealt into the Field from the top of the Site deck until this number is met.
Bluffs can still be assigned to Sites per usual; however, beware that these Bluffs can be played by any player once they have been assigned.
*Optional: Bluff cards purchased from beneath a Site card have their cost halved (round down). This may be a necessary rule due to the separation of Resource and Conspiracy hands.

Investigation Phase
During Combat, each player sets their Resource and Conspiracy hands aside and draws a number of cards from the corresponding Combat deck equal to the number of Agents and Adversaries involved in the Combat. (Example: Mulder and Scully encounter the Crew-Cut Man. The Active Player draws three cards from the Resource combat deck, and the Directed Player draws three cards from the Conspiracy combat deck.) After Combat is complete, all combat cards that were drawn and played are shuffled back into their respective decks (unless the card specifies that it remains in play).

Debriefing Phase
The maximum hand size is five cards for each of the Resource and Conspiracy hands.

Optional rule: random X-File
Instead of each player choosing an X-File, each player can use their own deck of all X-File cards to pursue one random X-File. This complements the Single Deck Variant because all players are sharing resources (Agents, Equipment, etc.) and obstacles (Bluffs placed on Sites).
For games with three or more players, each player should have one specific Directed Player. Each player can maintain the deck of the X-File they are pursuing.
A player asking a Characteristic question declares the question, then shuffles their X-File deck and reveals the top card. If the Characteristic matches the guess, it is a correct guess. All X-Files that do not match that Characteristic should be removed from the deck. If the Characteristic does not match, it is incorrect. All X-Files with that Characteristic should be removed from the deck.
A player guessing an identity names a specific X-File, then shuffles their X-File deck and reveals the top card. If the identity is correct, that player wins the game. If the identity is not correct, then the guessed X-File is removed from the deck.
Each player may look through the cards remaining in their X-File deck at any time, including before asking a Characteristic or Identity question. In this way, the X-File deck functions similar to the scorepad.

Specific Card Rulings
I am sure these will be required as they are encountered (specifically for Event cards or anything that stays in play). As a general rule, cards that refer to your discard pile or deck can be used for any discard pile or the Resource/Conspiracy decks. Cards that refer to Agents in your hand can be used to add Agents from anywhere that are not on your team (including those in the deck).

Questions? Thoughts? I look forward to hearing how this works for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Woodward
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I like this. I especially like the optional rule. I can see somebody missing a card that should have been removed, but that happens with marking the scorepad too. Great job. I wrote some optional rules for the game years ago, makes me want to dig through my stuff to find them now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean finlay
Australia
Gymea
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How can you adopt this variant for solo play? Reads like you could and maybe using the Play-by-yourself Kit posted by Jighm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aratus wrote:
How can you adopt this variant for solo play? Reads like you could and maybe using the Play-by-yourself Kit posted by Jighm.

I've been thinking about this, actually. The shared deck could support a semi-cooperative/solo variant. I will check out Jighm's kit and see what I can come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean finlay
Australia
Gymea
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff keen to read what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.