Lars Mattsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rules it seems that you can't bid on a nuclear power plant during the first round auction as no player has bought any cities yet. Right?

The case now for me and my group of people is that after we've played the 17 other maps in a league we're preparing for the big final next weekend on the Northern Europe map. The 6 best players will qualify to the final and the player with most points would get the best starting position (6) and the last guy to qualify would get the least favorable starting position (1) in a way to give some sort of meaning to actually finish first in the league.

So if you've starting position 5 or 6 and you pass on every auctioned plants before you're turn, the nuke #10 should be available and even the #11 can show up too when the last player's turn come to buy a power plant, though not so very likely.

What about my idea that you should be able to buy a nuclear power plant in the first round but then you can't start building your network in Norway or Denmark?

What do you say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting point, the nuclear free regions are based on the rules for Central Europe/Benelux where a nuclear power plant is not going to appear before you have started your network (unless somebody refuses to build cities I suppose).

Three ways to go really:
d10-1 You can bid on it, because you technically are not in a nuclear free area, however you are not allowed to build cities in any nuclear free areas while you still hold a nuclear plant
d10-2 You can't bid on the plant because you don't have a network.
d10-3 Don't play with a nuclear free area (I am not saying this is a good option, just an option).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Interesting point, the nuclear free regions are based on the rules for Central Europe/Benelux where a nuclear power plant is not going to appear before you have started your network (unless somebody refuses to build cities I suppose).

With six players plant 11 can come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larmatt wrote:
Reading the rules it seems that you can't bid on a nuclear power plant during the first round auction as no player has bought any cities yet. Right?

Correct, the rules are specific, you must have cities on the board in an appropriate region before you can bid on a nuclear plant.

Quote:
The case now for me and my group of people is that after we've played the 17 other maps in a league we're preparing for the big final next weekend on the Northern Europe map. The 6 best players will qualify to the final and the player with most points would get the best starting position (6) and the last guy to qualify would get the least favorable starting position (1) in a way to give some sort of meaning to actually finish first in the league.

So if you've starting position 5 or 6 and you pass on every auctioned plants before you're turn, the nuke #10 should be available and even the #11 can show up too when the last player's turn come to buy a power plant, though not so very likely.

What about my idea that you should be able to buy a nuclear power plant in the first round but then you can't start building your network in Norway or Denmark?

What do you say?

You could do this, but it is a variant and this thread should be moved to the variant forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Three ways to go really:
d10-1 You can bid on it, because you technically are not in a nuclear free area, however you are not allowed to build cities in any nuclear free areas while you still hold a nuclear plant

Not really logical. The rules as written state:
Quote:
A player may only bid on (and buy) a nuclear power plant if his network has at least one city in Sweden, Finland, or in the Baltic States.

Having a city in a nuclear-free zone or not is irrelevant. The rule is you must have (at least) one outside a nuclear free zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Mattsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Three ways to go really:

Thanks for all suggestions! We'll go for this d10-1 minor variant of the rules as I Think it should be a minor advantage to be in position 5 or 6.

Actually I don't know why there should be a rule which denies players to buy a nuclear power plant in the first round? Makes no sense to me.

There's no such rule for the Spain & Portugal map for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.