Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I saw this on the Starts With A Bang! blog.

I'm fascinated by optical illusions, but this is the first audio illusion I've heard of. The video (at 0:32) first shows the man saying "Ba Ba Ba." Then it repeats the same exact sound but shows a video of his mouth pronouncing "Fa Fa Fa." And despite knowing in advance this is going to happen, you'll hear "Fa Fa Fa" even though he's saying "Ba Ba Ba." You can't make it sound like "Ba Ba Ba" unless you close your eyes.

It's an example of the McGurk Effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is freaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another one for you - the Shepard Tone.

It's an audio queue that APPEARS to be infinitely ascending in pitch...but it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Here's another one for you - the Shepard Tone.

It's an audio queue that APPEARS to be infinitely ascending in pitch...but it's not.

Neat! According to Wikipedia, it's used as the sound of the Batpod in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, in the music of the endless staircase in Super Mario 64, and at the end of I Am The Walrus and Echoes among others.

Also, there's a discrete version (as are some of the examples above) used throughout the Autechre song Dial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.