Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules for ENC (Emperor's New Clothes, non-blank edition) and BCW (Boy Cried Wolf), and I have the decals sitting in front of me, but I can't quite figure it out.

The decals are:
6x 1-leaf
6x 2-leaf
6x 1-hat
6x 2-hat
6x 1-coin
6x 2-coin
1x 3-leaf
1x 3-hat
1x 3-coin
3x black wolf
2x 1-sheep
2x 2-sheep
2x 3-sheep

It sounds to me like ENC requires 3 dice each with 1 each of the first 6 decals. 1-leaf, 2-leaf, 1-hat, 2-hat, 1-coin, 2-coin. Does it use any other dice? Does the sticker sheet have enough for 6 dice, even though only 3 are technically needed?

I think BCW requires one die that is all of the sheep stickers. It also needs some dice with wolves, but I can't figure out what exactly goes on those dice.
Quote:
3 Wolf dice: six-sided dice with 2 wolf faces per die

But there are only 3 wolf stickers total? So, how do I put 2 onto each of 3 dice?

And where do the leaf/hat/coin 3's go? And what about the extra 1's and 2's? Are those for extras copies of the ENC dice?

Help! I want do make sure I do this right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Furnas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I am having the EXACT same problem here. The packaging includes 3 wolf faces not 4. I'm starting to think this is part of the meta-game involved with the game. It also says that you need 3 Wolf Dice, but in play you will only ever use 1 at a time unless you go a round with each player and there is no wolf attack.

Bewildering really. I'm probably going to put 1 wolf on a single die, and two on a second die because... well I don't have enough components to make it work otherwise.

Dunno what else to do really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
spacemuffler wrote:
I am having the EXACT same problem here. The packaging includes 3 wolf faces not 4. I'm starting to think this is part of the meta-game involved with the game. It also says that you need 3 Wolf Dice, but in play you will only ever use 1 at a time unless you go a round with each player and there is no wolf attack.

Bewildering really. I'm probably going to put 1 wolf on a single die, and two on a second die because... well I don't have enough components to make it work otherwise.

Dunno what else to do really.

I came to the conclusion a while back that the best ENC game was THIS PBF game we are currently playing... and that the marketing buzz, actual endorsements, real components, optional printable rules, etc.. etc.. were all just other games that were no where near as fun as the community created, spontaneously evolved game we had (and thanks to you two, now currently have) here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
But I intend to WIN this PBF game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't quite see your point, Robert. In fact, I'm not quite sure I see anything.

But if you post a photo of the stickers and dice you got with your copy of the game, I'm sure someone will help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Liu
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Robert,

Sorry the stickers were unclear. There are indeed more stickers than you can use at one time, depending on which version of ENC you backed, but you'll have to choose which things you want to use. Also, the Boy Who Cried Wolf did go through several iterations, while the stickers were designed and set early on (and not changed, because I had no idea it was going to take so long before they were actually shipped).

For ENC—I would first recommend actually playing the game with the blank dice, if you like, because you can always put the stickers on later. I'm not sure if they can be peeled off later. (I actually am still waiting on my stickers.)

According to my rules, the game uses 3 dice. Each die has 1 and 2 dignity (leaf), 1 and 2 gullibility (jester hat), and 1 and 2 gold (coin). In the four-player ENC package, that leaves you one extra die. You can either create another die that's exactly the same, or you can use the higher numbers to make a die that has three blank faces and three 3-value faces. When playing with the totally blank bits, I've had players use action cards to say "now I get to roll extra dice"—some players will just assume all the dice are the same. Some players have stated that they're rolling the bonus die that has 3s and blanks instead of 1s and 2s. So I included some 3-value stickers so you can customize your dice however you like.

There are also enough that if you prefer, you could make one dignity die, one gullibility die, and one gold die rather than all the same dice. It changes the type/number of resources possible to collect on any given roll, of course.

For Boy Who Cried Wolf, you can use one wolf sticker per die on three dice—typically you're using one die at a time, but then if it goes an entire round with no real wolf attacks, then you add a second die, then a third. Later when playing around I decided that 1/6 chance of a wolf wasn't exciting enough, so I switched to two wolf stickers on a single die—that makes it more likely that a wolf will show up. Then you could have a second die with just one wolf that increases the odds if it goes an entire round. If I'd had more space on the sticker sheet I might have provided a ton of extra wolves so you could customize that, too.

The sheep dice were for the tweak in the rules by Darrell Louder. Rather than just always risking one sheep per wolf face, we let the player either choose or roll the sheep dice to determine how many of their sheep were at risk, and that can influence whether it's worth it to them to cry wolf when there isn't one.

Overall, I've had a lot of fun playing Boy Who Cried Wolf at conventions because, although it uses a bunch of white cubes, there's something real on the dice and people can see that. I'm still not perfectly satisfied with end-game conditions, because sometimes the game goes on longer than desired. (Right now, we had it so that the game ends either when the supply in the middle runs out, or when there are only two people left in the game.)

I hope this helps!

tl;dr: There are lots of extra stickers provided, so that you can customize the game as you see fit. If you want your dice to match the rules I'm using, then it's 1 hat, 2 hat, 1 coin, 2 coin, 1 leaf, 2 leaf on each of 3 dice. The 4th die can be identical, or 3 coin, 3 hat, 3 leaf, and 3 blank faces. If you have a larger set with more dice, then you can create more of the first type of die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks!

Everything is better with blank white components. The emperor told me so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.