United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm curious as to the approximate time spread of the scenarios in this game. Which is earliest time-wise if that's given and what is it about? I see there are scenarios for the Iran-Iraq War and Desert Storm. I assume the 2003 Iraq war is past the intended time period for this game. Is there a general WWIII (Soviet Invasion) scenario?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Hello,

I'm curious as to the approximate time spread of the scenarios in this game. Which is earliest time-wise if that's given and what is it about? I see there are scenarios for the Iran-Iraq War and Desert Storm. I assume the 2003 Iraq war is past the intended time period for this game. Is there a general WWIII (Soviet Invasion) scenario?

Thanks

The original game scenarios are Workd War 3 Soviet invasion scenarios. The other scenarios were designed to account for subsequent events such as the Iran-Iraq War and Desert Storm. I don't believe the game was ever updated to reflect the 2003 war or later events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
wargamer55 wrote:
I don't believe the game was ever updated to reflect the 2003 war or later events.

Well, it was, but it's classified: http://www.strategypage.com/wargames-handbook/chapter/9-7-ir...

According to the BGG database, there was an expansion in 1990 covering Kuwait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
[/q]

That was Desert Shield and Desert Storm!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
JackFlash wrote:
Quote:

That was Desert Shield and Desert Storm!

I know. The expansion was called Desert Shield, and came out during that operation, but covered what became known as Desert Storm, which had not yet taken place. To avoid unnecessary complication, I just said "Kuwait".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GS originally came out ca. 1983 and that's what the original scenarios/OOBs reflect (i.e. the Iranians still had meaningful quantities of US hardware, Iraqi air units are essentially Vietnam-era, and US equipment includes a lot of stuff only us old farts remember). The big scenarios included (1) Iran has just won the war with Iraq and launched a jihad against the other Gulf states. (2) Soviets invade Iran. (3) Same as 2, but the Iraqis are Soviet allies. 2 & 3 aren't necessarily "WW3" scenarios, but if you also own AEGEAN STRIKE, there are rules for linking the two games into a WW3 scenario. Smaller scenarios include: (4) a dull and stagnant (i.e. accurate) partial Iran-Iraq War scenario, and (5) a beginner's scenario using only US and Soviet naval/air units on the strategic map.

First GS update came in 1988 following the US-flagged Kuwaiti tanker episode. Updated OOBs for Iran/Iraq.

Desert Shield module came out during Desert Shield. OOB/rules updates. Even included a rule for Patriots shooting down SCUDs at a time when most reporters thought "scud" was just a derogatory term for ex-girlfriends.

Desert Storm module appeared in THE GENERAL during the air war phase of the real thing. Further OOB/rules updates and a new map section. Below is a link to the article that includes the map and rules but not the counters (listed in the article, but no pics of the actual counters).

https://archive.org/details/GeneralMagazineVol26i6

No further official AND declassified updates, but you can find plenty of unofficial mods made by fans (I still have my Soviet CV counters). Personally, I wouldn't expect any more official updates as the system has developed a (debatably) limited applicability. For example, the game works with squadron-level air units. With the growing prevalence of "smart" weapons and an emphasis on smaller numbers of multi-role aircraft, how many situations can you imagine that would call for squadron-level strike missions? FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a picture of the counter sheet at the end of that document. James where did you get Soviet CV's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unofficial house-rule mod based on the available info in 1989-91. Also made a French CV, Brit CV/CVH, Indian CVs, Soviet Blackjack, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.