Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Temple of Goju rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Temple of Goju reads: "After this base scores, place each player's highest power minion here on the bottom of its owner's deck"

1. Two questions regarding this. First of all, is it only the printed power that matters when determining the highest power minion or do bonuses apply? For example, if you have a Lasertops and Armored Stego on the Temple of Goju when it breaks, and it is not your turn, does the Stego (5 power, 3 printed) go to the bottom or the Lasertops (4 power printed)? My assumption is that the printed power is what is looked at instead of the actual power much like when playing minions on the Tsar's Palace.

2. Secondly, do you have to place your highest power minion on the bottom of the deck if you have a conflicting ability? For example, if all you have is a First Mate, do you have to put it on the bottom or can you move it to a different base? If you have a First Mate AND Microbot Reclaimer, is the Microbot seen as your highest minion when your First Mate moves (if it even can) or do you put nothing on the bottom, or do you put your First Mate on the bottom? Would it even be your choice if it wasn't your turn or would the choice of what happens first go to the person whose turn it is?

3. Slightly related but pertaining to different cards, if you play Entangled ("Play on a base. Ongoing: Minions may not be moved or returned to hands from any base where you have a minion. Destroy this card at the start of your turn") and score a base in which you have a minion and your opponent has a First Mate, what happens to the First Mate? I know that abilities take place before the cards are discarded, but if Entangled's ability is still in play when the First Mate tries to move to a new base, is the First Mate stuck on that base and subsequently discarded or does he get to move when the base goes away?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Interesting collection of questions. I'll answer them all to the best of my ability.

WhatAChamp wrote:
Temple of Goju reads: "After this base scores, place each player's highest power minion here on the bottom of its owner's deck"

1. Two questions regarding this. First of all, is it only the printed power that matters when determining the highest power minion or do bonuses apply? For example, if you have a Lasertops and Armored Stego on the Temple of Goju when it breaks, and it is not your turn, does the Stego (5 power, 3 printed) go to the bottom or the Lasertops (4 power printed)? My assumption is that the printed power is what is looked at instead of the actual power much like when playing minions on the Tsar's Palace.


This one is easy. You would consider all augmentations and pick the one with the highest power so the Armored Stego is the one who would be returned. Note that this is different than the Tsar's Palace because abilities/augmentations don't kick in till after the minion is in play. The minions in the temple are already in play. The Tsar's Palace completely stops them from being played there hence their abilities do not trigger soon enough to raise their power to be let in.

Quote:
2. Secondly, do you have to place your highest power minion on the bottom of the deck if you have a conflicting ability? For example, if all you have is a First Mate, do you have to put it on the bottom or can you move it to a different base? If you have a First Mate AND Microbot Reclaimer, is the Microbot seen as your highest minion when your First Mate moves (if it even can) or do you put nothing on the bottom, or do you put your First Mate on the bottom? Would it even be your choice if it wasn't your turn or would the choice of what happens first go to the person whose turn it is?

This one is much much harder to answer. I don't think that a specific ruling has been given on this so the correct ruling would probably be the current player gets to choose. That being said this is one of the rules I'd probably bend in an actual game and let the pirate player choose which to occur since we don't have a clear ruling on it.

Quote:
3. Slightly related but pertaining to different cards, if you play Entangled ("Play on a base. Ongoing: Minions may not be moved or returned to hands from any base where you have a minion. Destroy this card at the start of your turn") and score a base in which you have a minion and your opponent has a First Mate, what happens to the First Mate? I know that abilities take place before the cards are discarded, but if Entangled's ability is still in play when the First Mate tries to move to a new base, is the First Mate stuck on that base and subsequently discarded or does he get to move when the base goes away?

First Mate cannot move away so it's discarded with the rest.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for responding to all of my questions in full. So what you're saying is that after a base is scored, the abilities and augmentations of minions and action cards still apply as the minions and actions are being discarded? I actually prefer your interpretation because it is line with some discussion we've had about the minion Clyde 2.0 in the SFDF expansion and his ability resolving as a base is breaking.

So to expand upon that, if you played Pirates and won the Mothership with three Saucy Wenches that you used Swashbuckling on, you couldn't return any of them to your hand since they were at 4 power when the base scored? Similarly, if you won the Mothership as Robots with two Fixers, two Zapbots, and an Alpha, you could only take back a Fixer since the Zapbots and Alpha would all have at least 4 power?

If this is true, I've been playing these two bases improperly for a long time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Hehe due to a shipping error I'm not getting my copy of SFDF till Monday so I'm staying away from those boards til then though I'm probably missing a bunch of interesting topics but I'd be pretty useless without access to the cards anyway.

It doesn't matter what the situation is you always use the augmented power when determining if effects apply (Like how the affects don't begin applying before/as you try to play a minion in the Tsar's Palace). Where this get's tricky is understanding if the minions power has been augmented or not.

All those example you gave look right. Swashbuckling remains in effect til the end of the turn and the Fixers/Alpha give their boost while they are in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. For minions in play, "power" always means modified power unless it says otherwise (e.g. "printed power").

2. If 2 abilities occur at the same time (like First Mate and Temple of Goju), the current player chooses which one goes first. Each ability is resolved as written at the time it is chosen to be resolved. So if ToG goes first, the First Mate goes to the bottom of the deck (assuming it has the highest power). If FM goes first, it is moved to another base and then the next highest-power minion (if any) goes to the deck.

3. If Entangled is in force the FM cannot move, so he goes down with the ship (i.e. he gets discarded with the base).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.