Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Myth» Forums » Rules

Subject: LoS and Attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Kirk
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
So I understand how LoS can prevent targeting with ranged attacks, but I was wondering how LoS affects (should I use "effects" here,) attacks that target monsters behind the target, such as "Blood of Gaia" affecting monsters in a T-spray,or "Last Rites" targeting monsters in a cross, how can the attack even start with monsters in front of the unnumbered square? It seems that those attacks don't count LoS for enemies. Am I wrong?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
You only have to obey LOS for the initial target square and then the aoe does its thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
so using blood of gaia as an example which has the pattern
BBB
xBx
xxx
xHx

Would a monster block line of sight in the following instance?

BBB
xBx
xMx
xHx

B-attack pattern
x-blank spaces
H-caster
M-monster
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph L
United States
South Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirk314 wrote:
So I understand how LoS can prevent targeting with ranged attacks, but I was wondering how LoS affects (should I use "effects" here,) attacks that target monsters behind the target, such as "Blood of Gaia" affecting monsters in a T-spray,or "Last Rites" targeting monsters in a cross, how can the attack even start with monsters in front of the unnumbered square? It seems that those attacks don't count LoS for enemies. Am I wrong?


This is extremely problematic to me as well -- if there is a monster in between the hero and the center square, how can there be LOS? More specifically, for Last Rites:

XBX
BMB
XMX
XXX
XXX
XHX

Can it be cast targeting the monster behind the intervening monster? Last Rites' red squares indicate that the intervening monster can be damaged by the attack, but LOS to the center square is not possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Kirk
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
Also, can you use spells diagonally? Or is the arrow on the card indicating the characters position and direction for using the attack (I know range canbe increased but does the character have to be facing that direction?) I think its a yes, because In the Soldiers "harvest of bones" its clearly the soldier as the arrow and the direction he faces changes the targets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My belief is that casting spells is not making a ranged attack. If casting a spell I can, for example make fire erupt, from anywhere without actually having to see it, I just have to have an idea of where it is that I'm wanting the spell to affect.

Throwing a javelin, attacks with bow and arrow, etc, these are ranged attacks in my opinion. Something could get in the way and block these attacks. A spell can't be blocked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You need LoS for any attack to be sure. Most spells are attacks. I'm still waiting to hear if you need LoS to target when the target is a hero.

You can cast to any location within the range (diagonally included) as long as you have LoS - the card reference just shows the simplest example to explain the idea behind it. "Last Rites" would cause #3 square to be "hit" by the AoE, but if the acolyte were standing on the spot indicated by the card, there must not be a monster there. If the acolyte were off to the left one square and no other monsters blocked LoS, the acolyte could hit all squares on the card.

"Blood of Gaia" can also be cast in different directions too. So you pick a square within range and LoS, and you could have the spray pointed to the left or right or even back toward yourself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennen Hilgendorf
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:

BBB
xBx
xMx
xHx

B-attack pattern
x-blank spaces
H-caster
M-monster


As far as I can tell in this example, you would have to move one space to the left or the right to have LoS to the monsters to use Blood of Gaia, but if you did that small move you'd be fine. For LoS Rules you just have to be able to draw an unblocked line from one corner of your square to the enemies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilgendwarf wrote:
chbyer wrote:

BBB
xBx
xMx
xHx

B-attack pattern
x-blank spaces
H-caster
M-monster


As far as I can tell in this example, you would have to move one space to the left or the right to have LoS to the monsters to use Blood of Gaia, but if you did that small move you'd be fine. For LoS Rules you just have to be able to draw an unblocked line from one corner of your square to the enemies.


Correct
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirk314 wrote:
Also, can you use spells diagonally? Or is the arrow on the card indicating the characters position and direction for using the attack (I know range canbe increased but does the character have to be facing that direction?) I think its a yes, because In the Soldiers "harvest of bones" its clearly the soldier as the arrow and the direction he faces changes the targets.


Spells, like any other attack (ranged or melee) can be cast diagonally.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph L
United States
South Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
ckirk314 wrote:
Also, can you use spells diagonally? Or is the arrow on the card indicating the characters position and direction for using the attack (I know range canbe increased but does the character have to be facing that direction?) I think its a yes, because In the Soldiers "harvest of bones" its clearly the soldier as the arrow and the direction he faces changes the targets.


Spells, like any other attack (ranged or melee) can be cast diagonally.


Is that just understood or is that in the rulebook?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is kind of understood; "spell" isn't even really a thing in the rulebook. There are only "attacks", and under the combat section, it states that you need LoS and range to make your attack. The AoE rules get a little fuzzy and so on and so forth, but the basic attack idea is sort of there.

Of course, some attacks don't say "attack"; they instead say "Steal" or "Damage"... but... well, that's Myth.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.