Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I liked goats before they were cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Just going to be straightforward here. This amazingly friendly community between gamers is the reason 99% of us stay. BGG'ers (and VGG'ers/RPG'ers as well) are some of the friendliest people I have ever met, online or otherwise. There is nothing to be gained from being mean; If this hobby flourishes, it is only going to get better for us.

When I see threads where Geeks are name calling, posting discourteous things and suggesting we change the website name to incrediblywhineygeek.com or kickstartspam.com . . . . . come on Geeks. No matter how much our tastes differ on certain subjects, we have to be kind to each other, or people are going to be turned off from the hobby. I play absolutely no wargames, and a lot of them have been making the Hot list under pictures. Does that make me upset, heck no. I think it is awesome that wargames are getting a bit of a presence. Love your own geek interests (rather it be the game format, genre or anything) but please respect your fellow Geek's interests.

Just because I don't like something doesn't mean that other geeks should not be allowed to see it. There are so many controls available to limit what is posted on your front page feeds. In the same amount of time it would take for you to post a hateful or impolite thread, you could do some research on HowToBGG and figure out how to get the website to work for you. Or just skim over it, ignore it. . . . The last thing we need to do is let something start driving a rift between us. And this specific issue is becoming more and more prevalent. Bite your tongue geeks, and lets keep this community friendly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great... You just alienated all the war gamers!

Just kidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate globally, smash locally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate this thread! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must not frequent the same forums on this site, as I don't really know what you're referencing, but I guess that's a good sign: I hadn't noticed an uptick in trollery.

As a pop cultural media nut, I have dabbled in a number of fan communities in the Age of the Internet. BGG is the best by far. Just like the community I occupy in real life, most people here are cordial, many people are helpful, and only a few are jerkwads. They can be ignored fairly easily as their numbers are few (and, thanks to the Internet, I don't have to make nice with them over the backyard fence).

Maybe as numbers grow this will be less true over time, but by and large, you can still enjoy an afternoon on your front porch in this town, and the passers by are more likely to wave back than flip you the bird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
We have over 850K users now on BGG. We will always have a certain subset of people who are upset at the direction of the hobby. No where on the internet is a bastion of unicorns and rainbows, but BGG is one of the nicer places.

My suggestion is to either ignore it or add constructive criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
We have over 850K users now on BGG. We will always have a certain subset of people who are upset at the direction of the hobby. No where on the internet is a bastion of unicorns and rainbows, but BGG is one of the nicer places.

I beg to differ: http://www.cornify.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charles
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Amen, sir.

On the whole I find the BGG community to be quite friendly and helpful.

goatfarmer03 wrote:
... or kickstartspam.com...

And on a side note: I could click the button to turn off the ads, but I like the Kickstarter ads. I like seeing what's up and coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have probably missed out on all this unfriendlyness you speak of... I have a great time on the geek. It doesn`t define the way I look at gaming at all. People are intitled to their oppinion, and yes, some might be hurtful for some people. We just need to learn to see past that, and rather not bother with threads that we find insulting or upsetting to read...

But that`s me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got to get back to basics.

Good 'ol eurosnoots vs. ameritrashers.

That's what I say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Shafer
United States
Hedgies Hang
flag msg tools
designer
"It is a pity we so often succeed in our endeavors to deceive each other." -Empress Irene
mbmbmbmbmb
goatfarmer03 wrote:
Just going to be straightforward here. This amazingly friendly community between gamers is the reason 99% of us stay. BGG'ers (and VGG'ers/RPG'ers as well) are some of the friendliest people I have ever met, online or otherwise. There is nothing to be gained from being mean; If this hobby flourishes, it is only going to get better for us.

When I see threads where Geeks are name calling, posting discourteous things and suggesting we change the website name to incrediblywhineygeek.com or kickstartspam.com . . . . . come on Geeks. No matter how much our tastes differ on certain subjects, we have to be kind to each other, or people are going to be turned off from the hobby. I play absolutely no wargames, and a lot of them have been making the Hot list under pictures. Does that make me upset, heck no. I think it is awesome that wargames are getting a bit of a presence. Love your own geek interests (rather it be the game format, genre or anything) but please respect your fellow Geek's interests.

Just because I don't like something doesn't mean that other geeks should not be allowed to see it. There are so many controls available to limit what is posted on your front page feeds. In the same amount of time it would take for you to post a hateful or impolite thread, you could do some research on HowToBGG and figure out how to get the website to work for you. Or just skim over it, ignore it. . . . The last thing we need to do is let something start driving a rift between us. And this specific issue is becoming more and more prevalent. Bite your tongue geeks, and lets keep this community friendly

I completely agree with everything in your post.

Furthermore, this is the ONLY website on the ENTIRE internetwebsideshow for which I have DISABLED my adblocker software so I can see the ads! I am interested in the kick-starter stuff, and all the other ads on the site, and clik-through pretty frequently with actual interest (about three ads per day I would say).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are asking people to be open-minded, reasonable and nice. Should be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least it hasn't gotten to be like startrek.com. The trolls run rampant there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
This place is too 'friendly' as it is. Enforced by the use
of tattle-tales and progressive bans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because some posts something inflammatory doesn't necessarily mean you have to respond at all.

If people want to be jerks, let them.

That said, I find the proportion of jerks here is incredibly low, when compared to most other sites on the net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you're right. I've never thought I should be nicer. I'll change that right away.

Besides, if anybody's going to be turned off by the hobby, it's going to be my weird body odors, my addiction to cheetos and mountain dew, and the fact that all my meetings are held in my parent's dungeon basement, not a mean person on a website dedicated to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Group hug!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Group table flip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're driving the community apart!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Great... You just alienated all the war gamers!

Just kidding.

To be fair, anything he would have written would have alienated all the wargamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
George Takei said it well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvTCr5Z-0lA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How can you be a good community if you can't handle conflict and opposite opinions? Communism is dead, right? Right? Oh come on guys and gals, stick with me here...

Enrichment comes from different views bouncing off each other and creating something new in the process.

So instead of saying: "be friendly" I would rather say: "don't get upset". If no one gets upset, then everything works fine. And it's also a good shift from trying to please others to trying to accept others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"be friendly" seems like a more positive message than "dont get upset" (to me)

But both of them are good suggestions to follow, even when posting opposing opinions on something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Please say that thread devolved. Pretty please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.