Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Nudd
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Played my first 4-player game this weekend and it was a fun, interesting experience.

However we found that we'd gone through pretty much all the tiles for the first era by the first scoring point and the lead player picked up 17 tiles. There was basically no way to catch him for the rest of the game.

Is this normal? Or are we playing it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared VZ
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure without being in the game or knowing what rules your were using, but a 17 tile lead is pretty overwhelming. Don't forget to score your genotype cards that are part of your fossil record.

The 3 other players do have opportunities to take down the leader during the remainder of the game, though, and the leader should be targeted. Purchasing/not purchasing cards (controlling the card display) is a big one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Williams
United States
Gahanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a bit more information.

1. By era, are you referring to the 4 scoring periods (Triassic?)
2. During setup when immigrants were drawn, were they discarded, or did they get put into the tarpit by accident?
3.How many cards were in the tar pit at the end of the first scoring period?
4.Did you score at the end of each period (Triassic, Jurassic, ... or only when the Era's changed?

5. Were you playing with the 2 rows of cards to select from?
-If so, were you putting tiles down for BOTH or only the 'lower' row and ignoring the events on the upper row?

6. When you scored the Jurassic period, and 'fred' (?) was in the lead. He took half the tarpit. To claim 17 tiles, there would need to be 33 to 35 tiles in the tarpit. (The leader takes half the tarpit rounded up, regardless of how many pieces he has on the board.)

I'm curious how you had that many tiles in play by the end of the Jurassic period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LautreSault
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuelw3 wrote:
I'm curious how you had that many tiles in play by the end of the Jurassic period.

Indeed, strange...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nudd
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

We had a second play this last weekend and worked it out - we pulled a lot of immigrants at setup and moved them to the tarpit instead back to the pool (doh).

Second game also went slightly awry when we had three cooling events in a row - the third after the first scoring point so that the game immediately ended before anyone could play catchup. I'm wondering whether that is also correct play...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.